Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetsanding

Post Thanks / Like
    First attempt but I have a few really annoying chips plus a deep scratch to the tailgate.

Process this far has been to clean the chip using meths on a Q Tip then apply multiple layers of paint (8 from memory) really thinly - luckily the Halfords touch up kit has a pen applicator ideal for the task with a VERY thin nib.

This has been done over the last fortnight or so, allowing at least 24 hours between coats.

Tonight wetsanded using 2000 grit W&D (thanks to Pugoman :xyxthumbs ) and hand rubbed with SSR3 (no more than 20 passes to each scratch)

Here`s the results

Next step is to bust out the Makita to bring back the gloss
    The car detailing fanatic formerly known as AndyC

Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16, Vauxhall Vectra SRi CDTi, Renault Clio Dynamique 16v

Post Thanks / Like
    And the first of my winter projects - repainting the front valance, which was stonechipped to hell and back.

Not pretty and hardly likely to net me much silverware when I finally chuck my hat into some S&S next year!!!

So, removed the valance (good job I renewed all the nuts & bolts when I fitted a new bumper last year), cleaned and sanded with 800 grit W&D to provide a decent surface for the primer to adhere to.

4 coats of gret plastic primer (essential as plastic will flex and plastic primer won`t crack)

And 5 coats of paint (lightly sanded with 1200 grit W&D in between coats)

Tonight put 3 coats of laquer on and a further 3-4 will go on tomorrow than fingers crossed she`ll look a lot better

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Good Andy, Can`t wait to see the finished article!
    "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Andy, Remember the first time I wet sanded chips on the old 306 scary time!

Show and shine next year then? I will have to find 309 to compete up against you

Looking forward to seeing the progress,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richt
    Looking good Andy, Remember the first time I wet sanded chips on the old 306 scary time!

Show and shine next year then? I will have to find 309 to compete up against you

Looking forward to seeing the progress,

Oh sh*t Rich - I`ll quit while I`m behind mate :grinno: not sure I`m anywhere near your level buddy! Very scary though, tis true!

Brazo - full article will be done on all the little projects I have planned over the next few months (engine crane being collected hopefully this weekend.... )

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you under estimate yourself Andy, you are just what the concours scene needs to kick some life back into it. I wouldnt want you in my class.

You can hold the crown for Autopia in the PSOOC events next year, I have far to much on as it is, let alone starting concours again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to be the negative voice here , but paint might end up peeling . It`s not in an area that the sun takes a big tool on though , so it should work out okay .

Best bet is 400 before primer and 600-800 before paint and never sanding the last color coat .

When using paper wet is is roughly twice the grit finer than if it were dry .

400 ends up being about 700 grit when wet .

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW nice leopard skin wellingtons ;-)

Almost as nice as the polka dot ones in my garage lmao!
    "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by papi_jay
    Not trying to be the negative voice here , but paint might end up peeling . It`s not in an area that the sun takes a big tool on though , so it should work out okay .

Best bet is 400 before primer and 600-800 before paint and never sanding the last color coat .

When using paper wet is is roughly twice the grit finer than if it were dry .

400 ends up being about 700 grit when wet .

Ah, so are you saying that a courser grit is needed to provide a better key for each layer of paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah unless you think paint can flow into 1000 grit scratches well from a spray can . Using HVLP with paint mixed with reducers allowing them to flow better might work if it isn`t a real high solids paint , but otherwise even then adhesion is only guaranteed by the paint makers with 600-800 between coats IF wetsanding is done between coats .

normally it wouldnt be unless to remove a defect , coats are just sprayed after flash of previous coat and flow together , flash into each other and etc etc ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazo
    BTW nice leopard skin wellingtons ;-)

Almost as nice as the polka dot ones in my garage lmao!

Some one had to mention them... I resisted really cant see you in them Andy!

:LOLOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Wellies not my colour lads......

The ;painting advice came from a guy on the 205 Forum who`s nearly completed a restoration of his own 205 and really, really knows his onions on car paint so I kinda followed his advice.

Appreciate the comments Rich - want to get a good year of use/shows out of the 205 as it`s being joined (or replaced) by someething a wee bit special mid-end 2006....

Post Thanks / Like
    Its about time it was at some shows! ... you say things like that and not give more clues, or better still just tell us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy was it shaker cans you use or a compressor?

Im looking at smaller projects myself and just wondering how this would be able to be done. What size is your garage btw?

Your work looks very good btw, good job on the wet sanding, one of the first times I tried it was on that fiesta I did. Takes some big Kahunas. lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rich - similar era to the Pug, European and LHD only.....RWD and that`s all I`m saying for now :grinno:

JJ - all done from rattle cans mate (Halfords), followed some step by step guidelines given to me by a fellow 205 owner - main thing is to be even more careful than for example using a rotary on old single stage paint - plenty of attention to detail and prep, prep and more prep to achieve a good finish.

My garage is fairly big - I`ll dig out a pic tonight. Did one coat of primer in there and the rest outside as the floor ended up covered in a fine film of grey!!!! Been lucky with the weather too as it`s been good all week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information