Post Thanks / Like
    ...that doesn`t prevent me from giving it some TLC for the gf...

perhaps "test car" would be a more honest evaluation

Basically we`ll be getting rid of this car soon so that the little lady can drive the WRX wagon full-time. In the meantime, I`ll take my time prepping the 1997 Tercel for sale later this fall... She has always taken pretty good care of the car, but it certainly could use some help:

So, I decided to do...

- IP, Orange Pad, 1500rpm

- FP2, White Pad, 1200rpm

- AIO, Green Pad, 4.5 (PC) (including all trim, rubber, plastic, metal)

- EX-P, Blue Pad, 3-4 (PC) (including all trim, rubber, plastic, metal)

- Sonus Trim & Motor Kote (1/2 bumpers, wheel wells)

Really impressed with the Trim & Motor Kote. I actually applied that last week... PERFECT solution for wheel wells - doesn`t wash off, looks great, but for the price I`ll only do MY OWN wheel wells with this product.

A few after shots...

(that`s the sun there...)

(that`s not photoshop - that`s a masking job )

(left side w/Sonus TMK, right side nothing)

Fun stuff. REALLY getting comfortable with the Metabo and loving it. Thanks for looking.

edit: yes, the front fender has been repainted, hence the slightly different color/shade/reflectivity...

Post Thanks / Like
    good job! nice side by side pictures... :woohoo:
    "God made turbo lag so V8`s could keep up!"

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s great work, especially at the plastic bumpers, which is a aestetically challenged area for econo daily drivers.

My beater now benefits from many of the detailing tricks that I give to car #1. It is hard (to me) to detail one car and not have the benefit of driving a nicely detailed car on a daily basis (to work). IMO you either detail all of your cars or not detail any of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks! the GF is complaining that I have to finish the bumpers (that`s a masked-off job in the photos) Now that I`ve got the photos, I think I`ll do that

lbls1: I know how you feel. Even if I had my own total beater, I think I`d have to detail it the best I could. I wonder if there`s a market in flipping used cars like people do with houses

The neighbors have an older Benz that`s swirled and hazed all to hell, but it`s their commuter car... It would look sooo fantastic if they`d just have me clean it up

Post Thanks / Like
    it seems so odd to see a tercel that has paint that looks that good. I`ve never seen a tercel without a rust spot haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by animes2k
    I wonder if there`s a market in flipping used cars like people do with houses

I think there is, if you can find the right car. Something with some interior stains that make it less attractive, bad paint (repairable) on the exterior. I have been looking at cars in the <$500 range to try it out on durring the winter. Learn to use my PC better, and hopefully make a profit.

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe not a bad plan... of course the car has to run well enough to be marketable (and be able to pass inspection here in Maryland), but I can turn a wrench pretty well. I`d just need the garage space....

Chang: well, maybe we`ll get a good price for it then! It definitely needs a solid interior detailing... *ugh*

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice half/half bumper shot!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anybody tell me howe you fix your bumper like that? i Guess that it´s not wax, but what is it? I´m a real newb. do you use a machine to do the work?

/Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    You use a vinyl or plastic cleaner and a semi-gentle brush or some apc diluted might work also to clean it first .

Rinse / dry and then a trim restorer product . No machine on plastic or vinyl

Post a pic of your bumper

Post Thanks / Like
    Animes2K,

Any tips on using that Metabo?...

Any nifty things you picked up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivil
    Can anybody tell me howe you fix your bumper like that? i Guess that it´s not wax, but what is it? I´m a real newb. do you use a machine to do the work?

/Andreas

As I mentioned in the initial post, all I did was wash the bumper, dry it thoroughly, then spray on two coats of Sonus Trim & Motor Kote, which dried to a nice shine, as you can see in the photos.

Mystic Can`t really think of any tips or tricks specific to the Metabo, just keeping with the basic rotary techniques still. I have found that you can hold it by the near end and let it work itself over hard-to-reach areas, though. I also don`t use the handle, just grip the top of the machine - if it starts hopping, you`re probably gripping too hard

Post Thanks / Like
    That bumper shot is one of the best side by sides I`ve ever seen on here. Nice work. I am another person who has never seen a Tercel that wasn`t a total bomb. Can`t believe how good yours looks.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Thread Information