Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the most common questions I field as a moderator is that of posting pics. With that in mind, I decided to create a post to illustrate how to do so.

a) Find a suitable host for your pictures

Online photo galleries like Imagestation do not allow linking of photographs or make it difficult to do so. However, we have a decent host here. You can upload up to 6MB of pics to your gallery on Autopia and you`re able to link it to any thread you see fit.

An external host I also recommend is Photobucket. They allow you to link photographs to forum pages. You can set up a free account at www.photobucket.com.

b) After uploading the picture, copy the URL of the pic shown in the address bar of your browser. Another way to do this is to right click on the picture and selcect properties to get the URL. Once you see the URL, highlight the URL and select copy.

c) To post the pic in the forum, you will need to use the [img] command. For example, let`s say I want to post a pic of my former `02 Maxima. In order to post that pic in a thread, I`d have to type the following without spaces:

[img] http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/...an_side_sm.jpg [/img]

When the command is executed properly, this is the end result:

If you have any questions or suggestions for other free photo hosting sites, PM me or, add the links to the free sites to this thread.

Happy Posting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Prinz,

Great information:xyxthumbs

I have been wondering how I can go about doing this and well..........now I know! Life is good

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    great post.

One tiny difference with photobucket. You click on img & copy the address. Then in your post you just paste it. One less step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Photo Hosting Solution:

http://www.imageshack.us/faq.php

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have web space provided by your ISP, you can use that. You might have to check out your ISP`s FAQ page to get uploading instructions.

As for software, there are a host of free FTP clients. I personally use SmartFTP. You can get it at www.smartftp.com

If you are looking for clients, check out www.tucows.com.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One mans opinion / observations~

Great info, thanksâ€/ :xyxthumbs

On some of the web detailing sites they have this type of information labeled as a ‘sticky/pinned’ and it is permanently posted on the home page so that it is easily accessed, is this something that’s worth considering for inclusion on Autopia?

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I never knew how to do that.
    Chris:

Current Vehicles: 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra: Born 03/03/2004 # 2882 of 3768

1995 Dodge Ram 1500

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx i asked some1 previously how to do this and there instructions were very confusing. Very good post thanx for the info!
    Kenny Miller

“The Perfect Touch Detailing”

**Making the world a more beautiful place, one car at a time. **

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this helps or not, but here`s an illustration I put together for someone asking how to post multiple photos in a single post (I hope it`s not the confusing post hftw Audi 6 complained of):

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool !
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for the latest info. I could never figure out how to post multiple pics. Now I know!!!!:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    To post pictures in the post you have to copy the location of the actual picture file, not the web page the picture is on. So if you post them in the gallery then:

click on picture to open

right click the picture

select properties

cut+paste web adress and put in the image commands at the begining and end without any spaces
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to upload a few pics from my computer to the gallery, and the file size was too large i guess. Do i need to resize or ?? most of them are around 800k.

Second Q. Does anyone know if i can use Cardomain.com to host my pics? I`ve had a site with them for a while and was hoping i wouldn`t have to re-upload my pics to another place when i want to use them in a post

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright... I guess i got it to accept a picture from Cardomain.com How do some of you make the picture appear larger?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a link from cardomain will work. Some sites, however, limit the bandwidth, and the link will go bad after a certain amount of time. To test, this link is being posted at 10:15EST on 2/18/05:

EDIT: That`s weird. The photo showed up fine in my post preview, but was just a red X when I submitted and viewed the actual post.

Oh well, I guess you`ll just ahve to move the pics you want, when you want to use them.

Sorry...I hoped I could help.

--Jim

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information