Post Thanks / Like

2013 Ford Escape

So just over a week ago, the wife picked up a 2013, Ruby Red Ford Escape. It has just 59,000 miles and has almost every option except AWD. The only "bad" part of the car is the interior, which is filthy, but the dealer is going to send it out to a shop to steam the seats etc. I said go for it (let them do the heavy lifting, besides, I HATE interiors and don`t have the equipment to do it right anyway). I just told them DO NOT touch the exterior...no washing/waxing/or anything else, because *I* am a detailer and *I* will take care of the paint.

I had intended to polish it out and wax it last week, but between work and rainy days off, I couldn`t do anything until yesterday. Staring with Meguiar`s Ultimate Wheel Cleaner on the rims and Purple Power on the tires, I did an intense wash with a stronger than normal amount of Meg`s Hyper Wash on the body (door and hatch jams included). The water was DEAD FLAT on all of the panels, so I know that the dealership hadn`t had time to put any of their garbage on the finish.

Once dried, I broke out the Porter Cable and some Meg`s thin foam cutting pads (I started out with the cutting pads because it was obvious that the car had seen nothing but swirl-o-matic tunnel washes and had swirls galore). I used Turtle Wax HS Polish & Wax for the `cutting/polishing` stage, 1) Because it`s what I have on hand and 2) I like how it works. In hindsight, I could have gone more aggressive, but I was still able to remove about 70 - 75% of the swirls and ALL of the oxidation on the roof (more on the roof later) with only a few passes.

The HS Polish and Wax worked great and since I worked it really well, single-towel removal was a breeze. With all the paintwork polished, I turned my attention to the rims, which have some light brown staining that wouldn`t come off with the wash. After a few test spots, I`ve decided that I`m going to use Meg`s Ultimate Compound and a MF cloth to clean up the baked on crud that`s still on them...but by then I was beat and decided to wait for another day to hand polish the rims.

Now about the roof. No swirling or scratches at all, but there WAS a lot of built up dirt in the edges - yet another sign that this car has never gotten proper attention. You couldn`t immediately see how bad the oxidation was - UNTIL I did 1/2 of the roof and went to the other side. Sorry my phone camera doesn`t show just how bad it was before. In person it was a glaring difference, but in the pic (bottom before / top after) you can see that it looks like there was a gray film over the paint.

Here is an overall `before` pic of the car, I will get some `after` pics of it this afternoon after I apply the sealant (TW HS Ceramic Spray Coating - again, it`s the best I have on hand and it worked really well on the Camaro and my MIL`s Edge - which is a similar color to the wife`s Escape, so why not)?

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Ford Escape

nice turn around looks great
    Likes Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done and really looks good! Couldn`t tell the year/mileage from looking at it now!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My niece has the same car/color....they do indeed look really nice when they`re done

Post Thanks / Like

That is a nice color, especially when coated with a carnauba wax. I have it on my Focus. It has a tinted clear coat.
    Last edited by pgp; 06-17-2021 at 05:28 PM. Reason: being here for years, I should know how to spell carnauba

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I was going to wait 24 hours after using the HS Polish & Wax, but life got in the way and it`s been a week. But I finally got the first coat of TW Graphene Flex Wax applied today. It was a decent day, cloudy, cool and only a few showers delaying me from waxing the car.

After the rain, the humidity really dropped, so the Flex Wax flashed extremely fast. There was no `wipe on-buff off` going to happen today. I started with the hood and found the `damp towel-dry towel` method was going to work the best, so I went around and applied it to the whole car...even the roof (I *HATE* ladder work) and it worked great, no smears, clouding or anything.

Sorry for no sunlight pics, like I said it was overcast all day, but even in the low light it looks good. Weather permitting, the 2nd coat is going on tomorrow.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Ruby Red is beautiful in the sunlight

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it rained last night, so I woke up to BEADS!

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

The 2nd coat is in the books ... here are a few sun shots. There is still a decent amount of swirling, like I had mentioned, I went fairly light on the polishing - I could have gone a lot more aggressive, but I decided to err on the side of caution and just lightly polish the car.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Great work!

It turned out sweet!

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Great work!

It turned out sweet!
    I just watched her drive off to an appointment, in the direct sunlight it looks like a piece of red candy. Something my phone camera couldn`t catch.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Thread Information