Post Thanks / Like

1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder

1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder
    1 of 10 in existence (14 built)
    Bianco w/Pelle Nero Frangi interior
    41,776 miles

4.4 liter V12
    Operation Super Rare Rari

A little info on this vehicle: My client just acquired it. It was originally sold and ‘lived’ in the US, however it went to the UK in the 90’s to be a part of some very special 1960’s Ferrari’s in a collection there. It was air shipped and then brought to me for some correction/protection.

Some additional reading/history:

This super rare 365 California Spyder, part of an elite group of only 14 cars produced at Maranello between 1966 and 1967, represents an interesting part of the marque’s heritage. The name ‘California Spyder’ is most often associated with the earlier 250 GT series of cars, of which around one hundred examples were made, especially for the US market. This 250 series was extremely successful, with some lightweight aluminum-bodied examples racing at the 24 Heures du Mans and at Sebring. Ferrari hoped to capitalize on this success by marketing its new 365 Spyder under the ‘California’ umbrella.
    The 365 California was a radical departure from the more common 250 GT Spyders. It used the same well-developed chassis as the 500 Superfast, its immediate predecessor and Ferrari’s most expensive road car at that time. However, the coachwork fitted to the 365 was an evolutionary Spyder body by Pininfarina. It was the first 365 model to be fitted with a V12 long block 4.4 litre engine. As a total package, the 365 California was designed to appeal to Ferrari’s premium customers who demanded a more exclusive and striking coachwork on their grand touring examples. In fact, the 365 California was only offered to select and existing VIP clients of Ferrari.
    Looking at the many desirable attributes of this exquisite Ferrari, it is perhaps the Pininfarina styling that sets it apart. As arguably the last of the great coach built Ferraris, unique elements to the car include its covered headlights, pop-up driving lights and door handles which hint at a mid- engine air intake. Of particular significance is the design treatment at the rear of the car, which was a significant departure from Ferrari’s traditional styling.
    This particular example was delivered to Luigi Chinetti Motors USA in July 1967 and subsequently remained in the States. The Spyder benefitted from a detailed and exacting restoration that took place between 1988 and 1993, which was conducted by Michael Regalia, formerly of the Merle Norman Cosmetics Collection in the USA. The car returned to Europe to form part of a significant collection of great 1960s Ferraris. The Spyder was presented to Ferrari where it was awarded with full red book Classiche certification.

Vehicle had swirls, a few deeper scratches, embedded dirt in the paint and some sanding marks.

The ‘details’:
    Adam’s eco wheel cleaner.
    Adam’s tire and rubber cleaner.
    Adam’s rinseless wash.
    Clayed via fine clay mitt.
    Dodo born slippery clay lube.
    Master blaster to dry.
    DeFelsko PTG.
    Scangrip lighting.
    Flex 3401
    Flex XFE15
    Flex Pixie
    Rupes iBrid.
    My hands-quite a bit of hand polishing.
    Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream.
    Griot’s Perfecting Cream.
    Adam’s Revive Hand Polish.
    Beta test metal polish.
    GYEON Tire.
    Auto Finesse glass cleaner.
    McKee’s37 quick interior detailer.
    Metro vacuum.
    Plexus to clean the headlight cover.
    22ple Mistico Elemento Forte, LSP.

Thank you for looking! I enjoyed working on this beauty!

Dirt staining on rear valance:

Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder

Dirt staining gone:

Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Likes Cadfael, GearHead_1, dwaleke liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Sizzle chest:
    Thanks for posting pics of your detailing on this "super-rare `Rari". Truly one-of-a-kind classic car.
    It is not often that someone gets to detail a vehicle worth more than most homes or estates!

SO, I see you are beta-testing a metal polish. Well, not sure that this particular vehicle was a good "test dummy" for such a product, considering its value, but you know the metal polish product and its manufacturer better than me. The results speak for themselves, especially on the chrome rims. Did you you use this metal polish on the interior metal work? Noticed in the pics that even the seats has chrome banding/trim on them.
    Also noticed that you were wearing plastic/latex gloves. Understandable, as blackened hands/fingers from such "manual" polishing do not clean up so easily. Any thoughts on using this product that you can reveal or tell us about??

Where was that ultra-thin "1.2" Paint Thickness Gauge reading taken from? See that this vehicle underwent a 5-year long total restoration according to the included history you posted, you would think that the new paint would have been applied a little more "thicker".

Also, what is in those "Tom Hartley" boxes in the trunk?

Were the plastic headlight covers difficult to remove? Have you ever used any other plastic/Lexan cleaners other than the Plexus that you listed?

Again, an outstanding detail and this Ferrari is now ready for a concourse event and the owner`s collection display.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Lonnie!!

I was truly honored to be able to work on this for him!

I`ve been using my `beta` test metal polish for some time now on numerous vehicles and I have no doubt about it. It`s very good. Can`t divulge any more info on it... I did not use it on any other metal other than the wheels.

The majority of the panels were in the 1.2-2.5 range believe it or not! I was as surprised as you, as I thought, due to the restoration, I`d have more to work with, but nope. Shocking.

All of the boxes were brand new luggage pieces for the vehicle, tool kit, etc.

Headlight covers were not bad at all. 3 screws held each on. I have used a bunch, some McKee`s37, numerous `paint` polishes, etc. However, these were in very good condition and only needed a light cleaning/protection.

And again, thank you, and you will most likely be seeing his vehicles here again as they will both be heading to the Cavallino Classic next year!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastico!
    It is always enjoyable to allowed to be part of the stewardship of a special cars journey. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Thread Information