Post Thanks / Like

How many things are wrong here...

Take a look at this picture that a NEW, local detailer posted to advertise the new business in town. The gallery showed many before/during/after shots of the work being done. This one here just got me...I can`t even begin to comment on this; but I had to share.
    I`m not trying to drag a newbie down or turn them off to the industry, but this is really something.

How many things are wrong here...-169364429_118292467013556_7079315357463912104_n.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many things are wrong here...

Do they have reviews available? Wonder if they`re up there with the sugar-free Haribo gummy bears.
    Likes RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL when I was 14`ish (46 now) my dad had one of those stupid polishers that looks like it has a medium pizza attached to the bottom. I remember one time helping him wax my step moms car, UGH. I know this was around 87 so there wasn`t Rupes or Flex, so at the time that was probably a pretty good machine. But I hated it. I did like half the hood and my arms had almost been vibrated off. I can`t imagine the one in the pic is any better technology wise. Setting it pad side on the dirty ground`s just adding to my laughs. And I`m chuckling because this is giving me a memory of how it`s probably the same amount of wax I applied to my 1st car the 1st time I buffed it. But I didn`t know any better so it was semi excusable. And I wasn`t taking pics to advertise my "detailing" business either. I do remember I let it haze too long and it took me about 2 hours with a ton of elbow grease to remove it all lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder what he charges as he uses 1 can of wax per vehicle.... also looks like he uses gravel to prime the pad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes wannafbody, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    also looks like he uses gravel to prime the pad?

Naw- he will surely change out the bonnet.
    Besides- its sitting on freshly rinsed concrete
    Likes grungy, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

While not wrong with the picture, I looked at it again and thought it was interesting he has the wipers up. I`m guessing he didn`t put them down after washing, With the "wax" job I see I`m actually kind of surprised he`d know that`s good technique when you do windows. But maybe I`m giving him entirely too much credit to think he actually washed the car before he waxed it. Maybe he waxed the windows too lol.

And look at how shiny the tires are. I can only assume he had to use something quality like PERL or Gyeon Tyre. I wonder how much he applied? Imagine the sling as the person drove away if he used like half a bottle of Armor All tire stuff lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere. While I, too, am quick to criticize this novice`s "ignorance" about proper detailing techniques, unless someone with good detailing equipment, car-care products and techniques and/or methodology using them, demonstrates and teaches these to a novice, they will do the best they can with what they have and know, right or (mostly) wrong. This detailer is gaining valuable "experience", it just may not be "correct".

I make the analogy that detailing is like playing golf. You can have all the "professional" equipment and clothing to look like a golfer, but until you play golf and tee off on a golf course and tally the strokes, you are just a wannabe duffer. If golf were easy, everyone would be a "professional" golfer, but they are not. Same with detailing. It is NOT an easy skill (and it is a skill and an art-form) to master CORRECTLY. You can read all the posts in this forum, go to detailing seminars, even participate in some hands-on training, but until you do vehicle detailing over and over, experience takes time and repetition, AND even then, like golf, if the swing, club selection, and ball placement isn`t done correctly over-and-over, your golf score will indicate what kind of golfer you really are.
    There are no handicap scores in detailing (Well Captain Obvious, ALL your detailing is a "handicap". HAHAHAHAH!!!)

That said, MAYBE in time this detailer will get better. Rather than pick on this person`s detailing prowess or lack thereof, it might be time for someone to "help" them and point them to this forum. I`ve said this before, but ALL you Autopians and your posts are my best and most important detailing "tool" to improving my detailing skills and knowledge and making my detailing hobby more enjoyable and productive, and for that I truly grateful.
    GB detailer
    Likes re-tired liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Hey, we all gotta start somewhere. While I, too, am quick to criticize this novice`s "ignorance" about proper detailing techniques, unless someone with good detailing equipment, car-care products and techniques and/or methodology using them, demonstrates and teaches these to a novice, they will do the best they can with what they have and know, right or (mostly) wrong. This detailer is gaining valuable "experience", it just may not be "correct".

I make the analogy that detailing is like playing golf. You can have all the "professional" equipment and clothing to look like a golfer, but until you play golf and tee off on a golf course and tally the strokes, you are just a wannabe duffer. If golf were easy, everyone would be a "professional" golfer, but they are not. Same with detailing. It is NOT an easy skill (and it is a skill and an art-form) to master CORRECTLY. You can read all the posts in this forum, go to detailing seminars, even participate in some hands-on training, but until you do vehicle detailing over and over, experience takes time and repetition, AND even then, like golf, if the swing, club selection, and ball placement isn`t done correctly over-and-over, your golf score will indicate what kind of golfer you really are.
    There are no handicap scores in detailing (Well Captain Obvious, ALL your detailing is a "handicap". HAHAHAHAH!!!)

That said, MAYBE in time this detailer will get better. Rather than pick on this person`s detailing prowess or lack thereof, it might be time for someone to "help" them and point them to this forum. I`ve said this before, but ALL you Autopians and your posts are my best and most important detailing "tool" to improving my detailing skills and knowledge and making my detailing hobby more enjoyable and productive, and for that I truly grateful.
    I agree with what you said most of the time. This gentleman does not consider himself a novice as this is his business. If he were even somewhat self aware you can find all sorts of info on his chosen profession through not only forums but YouTube as well.

Most of did not get led to this forum, we found it from our passion to be better....

Likes quebert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I agree with what you said most of the time. This gentleman does not consider himself a novice as this is his business. If he were even somewhat self aware you can find all sorts of info on his chosen profession through not only forums but YouTube as well.

Most of did not get led to this forum, we found it from our passion to be better....

Hopefully he`ll find these forums, I guarantee if he discovers a brand like Polish Angel he definitely won`t be using half a jar per car anymore. This site and AGO got me into Gyeon and all the other high end brands. I had poor technique on many things prior to learning from here. But when your product costs go up 10x you tend to learn real quick less is more. And I also was kind of clowning him because he`s an actual detailer. If it was a random guy with a post "1st time waxing my car" I would have laughed to myself and offered some advice. Cobrar97 said he had "many before and after pictures" which tells me he could even be successful at this. And if he is making money hay good for him. Bad technique or not, a lot of people could care less, all they want is their car to appear clean and look shiny.

I wonder if you could even do any correction at all with that monstrosity of a buffer he has. If I remember my teens, my dads didn`t actually spin it just kind of violently shook and rotated a bit. God bless him for using it to wax a car with it. I`d reather do it by hand lol.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OMG!!!

How many things are wrong here...-169364429_118292467013556_7079315357463912104_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I`m trying to find things that are right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Hey, we all gotta start somewhere..
    IMO he should`ve started with a few hundred hours of *Critical Thinking*. He obviously lacks the knowledge base required to do good work.

Harsh? Nah...if you do something, *anything*, professionally, you oughta be an expert. Period. And expertise is seldom something that`s learned on-the-job, at least not without missteps along the way, and when it comes to clearcoat/etc. missteps are forever.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m gonna pretend it was a grey-swirly painted “art car” that they’re restoring back to normal.

That gives me much less anxiety than thinking about the quarter inch thick layer of wax residue with rocks in it from that “buffer” sitting on the ground...

Post Thanks / Like

That’s awesome the dude is tooth pasting
    the whole car he is hacking a hack.

and I believe it’s olive oil on the tires although they do look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    and I believe it’s olive oil on the tires although they do look good.
    EV oh no

Thread Information