Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.

Nice! Glad it came out well with no mishaps!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. Not sure what way they`ve gone about the painting but do you have to factor in any wait time for the paint to gas before PPF?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Looks great. Not sure what way they`ve gone about the painting but do you have to factor in any wait time for the paint to gas before PPF?
    We did touch on that the last time we talked, they said no worries. I *think* they mighta mentioned the painter removes the panels, resprays, bakes `em and rehangs; will get more clarity on that afterwards if i remember.

Probably be done with the entire affair around early to mid-May which will be around 3 months since they picked up the car so definately not a quick process...and one best completed with as little input/meddling/suggesting from me as possible 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.
    Likes atbalfour, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    We did touch on that the last time we talked, they said no worries. I *think* they mighta mentioned the painter removes the panels, resprays, bakes `em and rehangs; will get more clarity on that afterwards if i remember.

Probably be done with the entire affair around early to mid-May which will be around 3 months since they picked up the car so definately not a quick process...and one best completed with as little input/meddling/suggesting from me as possible 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.
    Should be fine then 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind. I`m sure you`ll be glad to see the finished article

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Should be fine then 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind. I`m sure you`ll be glad to see the finished article
    For a car geek like me, walking into that pristine, white shop on pickup day and seeing your completed car waiting is truly a highlight. When we picked up wife`s new Corvette there 2 years ago after PPF/coating/tinting she actually shed a tear when she first saw it (she`s kinda a car geek too when it comes to her Corvette).

The whole process from the initial idea, through the planning, product choices, scheduling, various stages of completion, questions and answers is just so fundamentally entertaining to me that it`s far more than the sum of it`s parts. Working with a great shop that understands your wants, needs and budget is very rewarding...and comes with the bonus of me not having to do any `heavy lifting`.

They`ll be using XPEL this time as opposed to the STEK on the Corvette so I get a little bonus of being able to compare life with 2 different brands of PPF.
    Likes atbalfour, dgage, bob m, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Paint correction done, disassembly & PPF install has begun!

Likes The Guz, bob m, GearHead_1, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe I missed this thread.

Thanks for sharing the progress. Todd’s shop always looks busy and filled with the nicest cars. I like how he presents his work and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. Nice to see all the documentation on here.

I really like your Cayman, bonus in an easy to maintain color. Caymans have always been one of my favorite Porsches. I’ve always had a thing for smaller sports cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    I cannot believe I missed this thread.

Thanks for sharing the progress. Todd’s shop always looks busy and filled with the nicest cars. I like how he presents his work and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. Nice to see all the documentation on here.
    Yep, really nice, helpful group of folks there...always enjoy getting down there to hang out, see what`s up. They`re smack dab in the center of the Columbus Car Scene, sponsors to one of the C & C`s they have in Columbus; crazy events and have met some great folks there. Heck, when I was trying to decide on a fun, small car and kinda zeroed in on a Cayman, I called them as I knew nothing about Porsche`s 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.

I really like your Cayman, bonus in an easy to maintain color. Caymans have always been one of my favorite Porsches. I’ve always had a thing for smaller sports cars.
    Thanks, it really has become something special as far as automotive entertainment goes. After having gray metallic paint, I`ll NEVER buy a black car again, so easy to keep clean. I too have always dug smaller, nimble cars but it just took a while to realize it; the Cayman just fits me so well which is why I went with PPF as I drive that thing everywhere; work, store, up the street to drop something off somewhere...it`s just sooo engaging in addition to being the most comfortable car we own.

Looking forward to getting it back...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes bob m, LEDetailng liked this post
    Thanks LEDetailng thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    For a car geek like me, walking into that pristine, white shop on pickup day and seeing your completed car waiting is truly a highlight.
    Well, didn`t get to see it in the shop; picked it up during yesterday`s Columbus C & C they were hosting where it was parked out front when we got there.

In the end, passenger side fender, hood and front end resprayed, gouge in rocker touched up, few misc chips on roof and doors touched up. Full XPEL Ultimate Plus, Kami Zipang on top, windows tinted.

They removed door handles, side mirrors, headlights and such before PPF so very clean install, looks great.

Cayman_Eso.jpg

Much like last Mothers Day, it snowed here a bit today so in the garage it sits. 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.
    Likes dgage, bob m, atbalfour, GearHead_1, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this on IG! Very cool. The snow is a bummer...
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on getting her back... she looks glossy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You can’t go wrong with where you had this work done.Great people there and quality work.I would guess they steered you to the paint shop that did the respray also?She be pretty damn nice I bet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T-man143 View Post
    You can’t go wrong with where you had this work done.Great people there and quality work.I would guess they steered you to the paint shop that did the respray also?She be pretty damn nice I bet
    Although I had gotten an estimate or 2 for the paintwork last Fall outta curiosity, in the end I let them handle that w/ their preferred paint shops down there. After handing the transport driver the keys back in February, I did nothing until it was time to pick it up...except enjoy the open garage space after they took the Cayman away. Bonus points for `free Winter storage` for the rest of Winter as far as my garage went.

It actually came back a few weeks before I picked it up but after doing the PPF and coating and letting it settle a bit, they noticed some very minor inconsistencies in the hood they were not pleased with so the hood went back for respray, PPF and coating again. It`s very nice work overall and I can`t even find the few minor chips (roof, rocker panel, a few others outside of the resprayed panels) that the painter touched up. The PPF edges wrapped inside the door jambs are consistent w/ regards to the `reveal` so that OCD-ness w/ regards to symmetry is satisfied; functionally irrelevant but I like things to be `even` so it`s pleasing in addition to being functional. The reveal on the side window tint is the same, with a nice, even, symmetrical 1/8th" between the tint edge and the top of the window where it slides into the molding/weather stripping.

Overall the paintwork has the 24k mile car looking (to me anyway) pretty much new again so I get a clean slate going forward; very fun project and it`ll be interesting to watch the Cayman done with XPEL and the Corvette done with STEK as life progresses to see if indeed there are any differences between the two brands that make themselves known over time. The Cayman will likely see twice the miles the Corvette will but still interesting to watch as those miles accumulate.

Since it snowed here Sunday and was wet and 28 degrees F yesterday today was the first day I was able to take it out and unfortunately on the drive to work a rabbit committed Hari-Kari by running out of the bushes into the roadway while I was cruising through the Cuyahoga National Valley Park (it`s a nice drive to work) so I hope that`s not a bad omen; I wasn`t even driving like a clown but those little suckers are quick and all I saw in the rearview was the carcass with a cloud of fur floating upwards in the air....kinda a downer as I really don`t even like killing bugs for no reason so ending an otherwise happy bunny is somewhat depressing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information