Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.

2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.-cay1.jpg

Looks like Winter will be a fine time to correct some issues w/ the paint and add some protection. When I bought this car as a CPO in August 2019 ( https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/so...his-way-comes/ ) it was bit of a a departure for me in that I’ve always been a V8 kinda person…horsepower, torque, 1/4 mile times ( OK, maybe I’m not totally cured of the ¼ mile stuff: https://youtu.be/D8i4rpy3SqI ), deep rumbling exhaust and all of that. Turns out I was really missing out on the joys of a smaller, nimbler car and this thing has become *the* favorite ‘toy’ car of anything I’ve owned. It just works so well for me in a variety of ways; its extraordinarily comfortable, handles like a dream and is crazy fun every time I drive it…which turned out to be a lot. Previously I’ve kinda gotten bored w/ toy cars after about 18 months, cars I thought might be long term keepers but in the end, got rid of for a variety of reasons. Given my previous ‘seemed like a good idea at the time’ automotive adventures, I skipped the extensive protection strategies like PPF when I first got the Cayman and limited it to paint correction and coatings ( https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/so...#Cayman_Detail ). After driving it about 14k miles over 2019 and 2020, I’ve realized that this is definitely a keeper and driving it as much as I did and the way that I did was slowly taking its toll on the paint; mostly chipping on the front end during my daily freeway commutes…and that kinda stuff bugs me.

2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.-cay2.jpg

I’ve picked up some more chips along the way as well and if I continue driving it like this, well…it’s really gonna make me sad as time goes on. The coated Agate Grey Metallic paint is so forgiving w/ regards to staying ‘clean looking’ that stuff like the above chipping really stands out. While I’m an avowed coating junkie and ceramics can do a lot of things very, very well, preventing road damage certainly ain’t one of them; fortunately, this is an area where PPF (Paint Protection Film) excels.

I first experienced PPF when we snatched up a new, black 2019 Corvette for my wife and had it fully wrapped w/ STEK PPF ( https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/2019-corvette/ ). I was relatively unfamiliar with PPF so it really took me about 2 seasons and 6k miles to become confident in its abilities and how to best maintain it ( https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/li...ek-dynoshield/ ). Would it stain easier than a coating, could it hold up to environmental abuse as well as a coating, is it really that tough that it makes a considerable difference, especially given the cost, would I enjoy living with it as much as I have living with coated cars? In a word…yes, on all counts and then some. While I`m obviously a fan of ceramics, it turns out I`m *really* a fan of PPF; it`s even easier to take care of as there is less temptation to heap products upon it

So what to do now? Well, preliminary thoughts are below:

1. Respray the front bumper, hood and at least the right/passenger side fender...probably both fenders for the sake of symmetry. Perhaps a minor spot touch up on a chip on the roof (drivers side) and a chunk/chip on drivers side rocker panel. Definitely not all of the defects on the car but these are the obvious ones that I’m drawn to when looking at the car, which I do a lot. Not looking for perfection as at that point I start worrying about the car more than I do driving it. I wanna own the car as opposed to having it own me and PPF will do excellent work in that area.

2. Apply PPF to entire vehicle.

3. Apply a coating to the PPF. Not sure on this one as there is some debate on its value given some of the inherent qualities of PPF (hydrophobic topcoat built in) along with the fact that I plan on maintaining it with Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz which I’ve used with *excellent* results on the PPF’d Corvette (ok, along with Kamikaze Overcoat, Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz and Polish Angel High Gloss Spritz…sometimes it’s fun to change things up). I kinda lean towards coating it (the Corvette PPF was coated with Kamikaze Surface Film Coat which is slick as snot and has excellent water behavior) as I’m very used to living with and maintaining coated cars. That said, maintaining the Corvette with those above mentioned products has been a dream so maybe if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

4. Tint all windows (including windshield) at 55%. We had this done on the Corvette and it’s quite nice; unobtrusive, no limiting of visibility and overall a nice aesthetic effect.

So that’s the plan and I’m looking forward to the entire process. Planning and executing this type of job with the Corvette was extraordinarily entertaining, a welcome project in the midst of an otherwise oppressive Winter and this one might be even more fun. Obviously the final result is the ultimate goal but when it comes to cars and detailing ‘stuff’ the journey is just as important as the destination for me.

Many things to discuss and decide but we’re on the books!

cay3.jpg

02/19/2021 – And away we go.

Caught a transport down to Esoteric so no need to drive the Summer Tire Cayman down there. The exhausting task of securing a transport involved, well…me picking up the phone when they called to say they’d be there Friday. Whew, I’m worn out

I did have to shovel and salt (half) the driveway as there was no way the Cayman woulda made it up and into the street without dry pavement. Learned that back when we moved in 30 years ago and tried to drive our then-new 1990 LX 5.0 Mustang w/ Goodyear Gatorbacks thru the Winter. Didn’t even make it outta the driveway the first time it snowed a bit that year. Occasionally I will actually learn from previous “That didn’t quite go as planned…” episodes.

2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.-cay4.jpg

2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.-cay5.jpg

2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.-cay6.jpg

More to come…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes dgage, The Guz, bob m, 06vrss, roscopervis and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite, 06vrss thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.

I`m in!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I`m in!!!
    That car is really rare; a Porsche Sizzle hasn’t detailed yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to shop for a bit a week or 2 ago after paint shop looked things over.

Looks like:

1. Respray front fenders, hood and front end/bumper. Since all are easily removed, they will do that, respray each, bake `em and rehang.

2. Small chunk outta rocker panel (actually small but deep chip) repaired, blended. So small and outta sight i mostly wanted this addressed so surface was smooth and level for PPF adhesion.

3. There is a small chip on roof right over drivers head, obviously I see it every time i get in car...sadness. They will fill/touch it up and are confident it will be nearly unnoticeable when PPF covers it.

4. Coat it with Kamikaze Zipang. Pondered ISM 2.0 for a moment but Zipang is overall a better choice for me after living with it for 2+ years now; I *know* it works for me. I haven`t got to a year yet with the ISM 2.0 so that`s still not a completely known quantity for me.

All windows tinted at 55% including windshield. It`s a real subtle look, wasn`t sure about it when we did Corvette thinking it might be inconvenient at night but no issues in 2 years. A far cry from the 15% I did in the 1980`s on a black Cutlass Supreme; hadda roll down the windows at night to see sometimes. 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.

One thing I`m still pondering is re-applying the lettering after they`re removed them for the PPF application.

I guess they`re OK but they do catch towels and dirt builds up and is a pain to really clean out well each Spring. No other emblems or lettering on car aside from recessed crest on hood. We skipped reapplying a few on the Corvette and it just makes life easier. Porsche letters also catch water when washing, takes an extra minute or 2 to blow out. I dunno.

If schedule allows ( I`m actually having to start working at work these days as pool season approaches 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind. ) I might be able to hang around the shop for a day or 2 when interesting things like PPF application are happening, kinda like Baseball Fantasy Camp for car geeks like me. 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.

Not in a real hurry to get car back, it`ll be done when its done and well, I`m under no illusion that Winter is done up here so the extra garage space is nice. And since we kinda `un-hibernated` the Vette yesterday it`s now taking up the whole garage.

Supposed to be mid 50`s, 60`s next week so the wife wanted her car out...spent yesterday wandering around countryside wasting gas...and looking for pie; succesful on both accounts.

I can`t wait for Spring and Summer to really arrive...it`s been a long Winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice update! First: What kind of pie is that? Looks great!!!

I am contemplating removing my lettering on the 911, similar reasons. A `cleaner` look also.

Still in for updates as to what you decide, and...of course, pics when all is done!

And I just noticed dgage`s response, LOL!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes dgage, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would leave badging off. All the reasons you mentioned and looks cleaner. Don’t know how long i’ll keep camaro’s but your posts have made me decide to PPF front end.

Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Nice update! First: What kind of pie is that? Looks great!!!

I am contemplating removing my lettering on the 911, similar reasons. A `cleaner` look also.

Still in for updates as to what you decide, and...of course, pics when all is done!

And I just noticed dgage`s response, LOL!!!
    The pie was a tasty raspberry cream delight, prepared w/ love by Mary Yoder`s Amish Kitchen: https://www.maryyodersamishkitchen.com/home/

Some really nice roads out it Amish Country as long as one is mindful of `exhaust residue` from the many horse & buggies

I`m leaning towards bagging the lettering; I know what kinda car it is, don`t need inconvenient reminders.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I would leave badging off. All the reasons you mentioned and looks cleaner. Don’t know how long i’ll keep camaro’s but your posts have made me decide to PPF front end.

Keep us updated.
    I`ve really come to enjoy PPF , even less wok to keep clean/maintained than a coating alone. The tint, notably the windshield, is another thing I find quite a positive despite initial misgivings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    The pie was a tasty raspberry cream delight, prepared w/ love by Mary Yoder`s Amish Kitchen: https://www.maryyodersamishkitchen.com/home/

Some really nice roads out it Amish Country as long as one is mindful of `exhaust residue` from the many horse & buggies

I`m leaning towards bagging the lettering; I know what kinda car it is, don`t need inconvenient reminders.

I`ve really come to enjoy PPF , even less wok to keep clean/maintained than a coating alone. The tint, notably the windshield, is another thing I find quite a positive despite initial misgivings.
    In younger days i’d do like you with 5% all the way around and 35 on the windshield.

One point i did this mirror’ish (wasn’t a full mirror tint) in the same % as above. Pulled over maybe 5-6 times but never a ticket. Finally when i got a fixit it was a b!t$h to remove I said never again.... maybe now that i’m older and maybe go a little lighter...

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car - even with the pings. There is something to be said for driving a sporty, more nimble car. PPF is a must for me on the whole front end - including fenders and mirrors. I coated after PPF application and all looked good.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Beautiful car - even with the pings. There is something to be said for driving a sporty, more nimble car. PPF is a must for me on the whole front end - including fenders and mirrors. I coated after PPF application and all looked good.
    Thanks! The car has been a real treat, so much fun and surprisingly comfortable for a lanky, 6`2" guy like me; kinda like having your own personal amusement park ride waiting in the garage. It inspires enough confidence that I`m pretty sure there is nothing within the realm of practicality I could do where the car would `hurt` me...it`s far more car than I am driver that`s for sure. It did 12.9@108mph at the local track if I recall after the one night I ran it; sub-13 is fast enough for a straight line for me.

And the really forgiving Agate Gray paint is a welcome respite from black cars; I think it`s partially due to the body style (with no real vertical back end/trunk) that helps it stay so clean w/ minimal effort and it`s small enough with very few cracks, crevices and seams to catch water, very smooth and rounded in stark contrast to to the Corvette, so washing is quick and easy.

I decided not to have the logo/lettering on the back hatch re-applied after PPF...smooth and clean look. I woulda had more emblems/lettering left off of the Corvette but my wife wanted some left on so her car, her choices. I did ditch the chrome Stingray emblems on the side of that one though, seemed like they would catch towels quite easily.
    Likes Coatings=crack, bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

How’s the food at Mary yoders? Looks good! I judge places by their roads and food.

I would order a pie but probably would not ship

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    How’s the food at Mary yoders? Looks good! I judge places by their roads and food.

I would order a pie but probably would not ship

We stayed for lunch...good `ol big, warm, comfortable vittles.

Wife`s brother tried to get them to ship to CA...no go 2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic drivers cars. Black isn’t so bad though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
    Fantastic drivers cars. Black isn’t so bad though.
    2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind. I still have 2 black cars...that`s plenty!

Post Thanks / Like

4/10/2021 - "The vehicle is back from the painter and looks amazing!"

Paint Correction, Full Paint Protection Film, Tint and Ceramic Coatings up next.

2016 Cayman - Partial respray, PPF and whatever else comes to mind.-caymanouttapaint.jpg

I`m really starting to like letting others do the work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs, Coatings=crack, bob m, Older liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information