Post Thanks / Like

This guy needs to find a new body shop

I`ve done cars for this owner several times. He has a paint guy he likes, the guy does okay with the body work and painting, but his follow up is just horrendous. And this is the worst I`ve seen it.

2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0t. He`s done numerous modifications, its making close to 600 hp at the wheels. Had the body shop widen the rear fenders to get more tire under his car, plus the front driver`s side was hit, so the front driver`s door, fender and bumper were also repaired and painted. That was done well, the paint mostly well (some orange peel mismatch) but just horrible buffing job. Bordering on criminal. I was not going to have to get the paint 100% perfect, he was having PPF put on almost everything. Rear doors forward already have PPF. He`s going to have the rear quarters from the parting line down covered with clear film as well. So I had 4 panels and a bumper to polish out and it took about 4 hours. Oberk Supreme Cut using their microfiber cutting pad and Optimum Hyper Polish with an Oberk foam polishing pad.

Should be pretty obvious what is before and what is after.

He just had the PPF done, so once this nasty arctic air is gone, I`ll be out to do some finishing polishing on the trunk lid and C pillars to get them as close to perfect as possible and reapply Optimum Paint Guard to all affected areas.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer
    Likes dgage, grungy, tom p., ernman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This guy needs to find a new body shop

Wow. WOW. Can`t believe it left the painter like that. Great job correcting it.
    Likes dgage, Scottwax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! WOW is the perfect descriptor.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Scottwax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy that it’s got 600 to the wheels. 300 to the crank stock....great recovery on that black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I was in a body shop peeking around I saw an old dewalt rotary with with big 8 inch twist pad that they didn’t even bother to wash properly make every couple weeks they clean. I saw a guy pluck it down from where it was hanging and not even apply product he just buzzed down a panel and hung it back up.

I looked over they were using a lot of 3m products and believe it or not mothers heavy duty rubbing compound which They liked a lot after talking to them

Post Thanks / Like

That guys love of his body shop is..... Job security for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Scottwax:
    How do the Oberk pads compare to other manufacturer`s pad you have used? Are the Oberk pads better suited in terms of their foam composition and density to Oberk compounds and polishes OR have you found through experience or trial-and-error that they "work" better on this particular paint from the the client`s body shop? Not sure if the body shop used Infinity OEM paint/clear coat or their own preference.
    From what you are describing, the areas you "corrected" have yet to have PPF applied to them, if I understand you correctly.

Like I have said numerous times, many professional detailers make a good living fixing/correcting body shop faux pas like those shown here. Thanks for sharing!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Scottwax:
    How do the Oberk pads compare to other manufacturer`s pad you have used? Are the Oberk pads better suited in terms of their foam composition and density to Oberk compounds and polishes OR have you found through experience or trial-and-error that they "work" better on this particular paint from the the client`s body shop? Not sure if the body shop used Infinity OEM paint/clear coat or their own preference.
    From what you are describing, the areas you "corrected" have yet to have PPF applied to them, if I understand you correctly.

Like I have said numerous times, many professional detailers make a good living fixing/correcting body shop faux pas like those shown here. Thanks for sharing!!
    I know one of the people who works for Oberk through another (and oddly, non-detailing) forum and he said their pads are designed using their specifications to work with their compound and polish. Of course you can experiment with other pads as well, I`ve found Supreme Cut works well with the burgundy Buff n Shine foam pad on softer paints, like the clear on GM black.

Supreme Cut with the proper pad choice seems to work extremely well on all paints I`ve used it on over the last couple of years.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done, he will be excited when he sees it looking as it does now! Nice ride too.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Thread Information