Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Zero bucket wash after several months

This is my car after several months of no foam and the zero bucket wash method. No more wasting time foaming with special soaps, and no dragging around buckets. As you can see, no micro marring with weekly washes.
    Thank you for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Coleroad, lloydrm, JustJesus, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zero bucket wash after several months

Can you explain your zero bucket method?

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend for a very good explanation you see Final inspection auto boutique on you tube. It’s a very good technical explanation by the gentlemen who came up with it. Basically proving grit guard devices don’t work as stated. It’s all about lubrication and thoroughly rinsing.
    Likes Caraman, tom p., lloydrm, The Driver, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using one bucket and no foam for about 10 years. No marring whatsoever. The pressure washer blasts all the abrasive particles, I could wash with water if I wasn’t worried about road film and tar.

Waterless is where I have issues and extra dirty and rinseless without a good prewash.

Foam makes for really cool pictures though!
    Likes The Driver, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So you`re basically just washing like Meguiars wants you to do when you use Wash+? Out of curiosity, what kind of soap do you use and do you dilute it or just pour it strait on the mitt?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixsix View Post
    So you`re basically just washing like Meguiars wants you to do when you use Wash+? Out of curiosity, what kind of soap do you use and do you dilute it or just pour it strait on the mitt?
    the video shows it being sprayed directly onto the mitt...heres a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaPC8VgSozM

This video shows a well maintained car being washed. He has a different one showing the same method on a car that has not been washed in a year...which is very misleading. Quite honestly, it was only dusty.

heres that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCweFOjv7wg

Post Thanks / Like

If possible, I`d like to hear about your approach. I mean, their description of the method and logic is very useful, but it is also a promotional video. No problems there, my question is how it works with different, more common, products (soap and mitts)
    The method interests me. Now I use one bucket with 3 mitts. When a mitt is running low wash media and is coming from upper/cleaner panels it gets spray rinsed (pw or garden hose) before redunking into the wash bucket (a spray version of the shower approach, maybe).
    I was thinking of using a spray bottle with diluted car soap. Now using 3D`s Pink.

Post Thanks / Like

My cars are outside almost all the time. My car is in the shop on Saturday when it probably needs a wash. The other 2 are out 24/7. Under trees and in the weather.i have used this method on all levels of dirty cars, including a truck with mud from Texas, whatever they call that stuff! On the seriously dirty sections, after a thorough rinse, I’ll spray carwash on those areas. I use Klin wash mitts and always trying different shampoo. I prefer the lower foam wash as the higher foaming soaps bother my hands after 20 some years. I am just convinced that grit guard devices don’t work as advertised. Just look at the design. It is not a one way valve. As far as foaming, yes it may loosen dirt, but it can act as a plug and trap grit in cracks and crevices. Then when drying the cat, the grit is blown out and wiped across the surface creating micro marring. I’m not trying to make anyone switch, just offering another tool for the toolbox.
    Likes mumps, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks lloydrm thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to try this a few times to see for myself. Always looking to get the best looking vehicle with the least amount of effort/money spent! I need a new shampoo; I`ll see what`s available locally as far as low foam goes. Thanks for the input Mike!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I am 100% with you on the grit guards.
    I`ve never really used a foam gun, but I can sure see that happening. A thorough rinse (ideally with a pw, for me) is far better than throwing foam and thinking it will take care of everything.
    As I said, my method is not that far from yours, but I can definitely see the benefit of spraying soap directly on the mitt instead of putting it in a bucket, even after it`s been rinsed.
    Thank you!
    The fact that you use this method on your own cars, with various soaps and your preferred mitts speaks highly of it, and surely helps in implementing a similar method. Now I am curious and will give it a try next wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys, just throwing out new ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried that. Since I can`t power wash from home, it doesn`t work for me. I did try it at a coin-op, though.

I thought I started a thread on that some time ago. (scratches head).

Anyway, I`ll put up the Final Inspection mitt and the soap in the Samples thread later this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    This is my car after several months of no foam and the zero bucket wash method. No more wasting time foaming with special soaps, and no dragging around buckets. As you can see, no micro marring with weekly washes.
    Thank you for looking!
    YES! It is totally working for you! Car looks great. Thanks for sharing your real world experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. The method I follow is similar. I also gave up the bucket and grit guard. Now only use a bucket to collect used wash mitts. However, I still like my foam.

First I pre rinse with pressure washer.
    Second Foam the car and let dwell for a few minutes. This is usually half of a 32oz bottle.
    Third A quick rinse with pressure washer.
    Fourth Re-Foam car plus my 4 wash mitts which I lay on the windshield. This finishes the bottle.
    One mitt for top hood and trunk. One for each side of the car. Finally one for the front rear and lower rocker panels.
    Dirty Mitts go in the bucket to wash later.
    Rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    My cars are outside almost all the time. My car is in the shop on Saturday when it probably needs a wash. The other 2 are out 24/7. Under trees and in the weather.i have used this method on all levels of dirty cars, including a truck with mud from Texas, whatever they call that stuff! On the seriously dirty sections, after a thorough rinse, I’ll spray carwash on those areas. I use Klin wash mitts and always trying different shampoo. I prefer the lower foam wash as the higher foaming soaps bother my hands after 20 some years. I am just convinced that grit guard devices don’t work as advertised. Just look at the design. It is not a one way valve. As far as foaming, yes it may loosen dirt, but it can act as a plug and trap grit in cracks and crevices. Then when drying the car, the grit is blown out and wiped across the surface creating micro marring. I’m not trying to make anyone switch, just offering another tool for the toolbox.
    Mike:
    Like the saying goes, "There is more than one way to skin a cat" (Thanks Captain Cliche!)
    I think the multi-mitt thing is key to this process, BUT for someone who does three or four car washes at a time, this might seem too extreme. OK for single maintenance washes. I do think, though, that many of the swirls seen in vehicles are from "improper" washing techniques and most of them stem from using a single dirty wash media with too much hand-pressure and a `scratchy" or dirty drying media.
    For prep washes before a two-step correction, I`ll stick with a two bucket wash. I have a Grit Guard in the rinse bucket that I use as a laundry scrub board to rub the wash mitt against and then hand-squeeze out the excess rinse water before going back into the soap bucket. I also use a different wash media for the wheels and wheel wells, which I do last. I know some here also use a different soap bucket just for the wheels and wheel well arches/bodywork.

I would be interested in your suggestions and preferences for soaps for this process.
    GB detailer
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information