Post Thanks / Like

2011 Audi A3 TDI - First detail I`ve done in two years since losing my GTI

I`m not on here often, but I got a LOT of help from this forum a couple years ago when I had a 2013 VW GTI and was not seeing the results I wanted. DaveT435 (if he`s still around) was extremely helpful, and with his suggestions, and a few others, I found some products way better than the Meguiars M205 I was using. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread: Still getting holograms despite careful washing. Frustrated

Since then, that GTI was totalled out TWICE in a year and I had to cut my losses, so in January I picked up this 2011 Audi A3 TDI. I wish I had some "before" pictures, but at 9 years old, 90k miles and 2 previous owners, the paint on this car was really a mess. Once the "glaze" that the dealer put on wore off, I was treated to some really deep swirls, RIDS, dull paint, and cloudy, splotchy oxidation everywhere. I told myself I would accept that this car will never be "perfect" and gave myself two days to take care of things. Pretty happy with how things turned out: ONR wash, clay, compound with Menzerna M400 LC flat grey pads and PC 7424XP on 6, then finish with Sonax EX04-06 with LC flat orange pads on 4-5, panel wipe, check with an LED light, then two coats of GTechniq CSL.

When I had the GTI I applied GTech Exo and I had some high spots, but with the CSL it looks more evenly applied. Not sure if my application/removal was better or if CSL is easier to work with. Im not sure if a rotary or a more powerful DA polisher would help with the remaining defects, as I`d like to eventually learn how to do more difficult paint correction. I feel like there has to be a better DA to step up to after using the PC for a few years.

Some examples of the defects I couldn`t totally correct:

More pics if anyone is interested: https://imgur.com/a/wJy7hzr
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 Audi A3 TDI - First detail I`ve done in two years since losing my GTI

Bill1975 --- She`s Beautiful !!!!!
    I have always loved the Audi Allroad line - they are just perfect !

Beautiful work you did on it !! Love the clarity and gloss !

Those defects you could not get out - I would measure carefully the total thickness on the defects and around them to get a baseline nbr.
    If it was not a low nbr on the defects, it would be pretty easy to remove them with my Makita Rotary..

The ones next to the door look to be the worst - hard to tell how they did that, except perhaps someone wearing bracelets, jewelry, etc., always hit that spot over and over, opening the door? .. That set of defects, -- you really have to very, very, careful to NOT get close to the very thin paint on the door edge.. In fact, I might even take some 1/8" painters masking tape and carefully tape off that edge just in case the Rotary accidently wanders over there..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Bill1975 --- She`s Beautiful !!!!!
    I have always loved the Audi Allroad line - they are just perfect !

Beautiful work you did on it !! Love the clarity and gloss !

Those defects you could not get out - I would measure carefully the total thickness on the defects and around them to get a baseline nbr.
    If it was not a low nbr on the defects, it would be pretty easy to remove them with my Makita Rotary..

The ones next to the door look to be the worst - hard to tell how they did that, except perhaps someone wearing bracelets, jewelry, etc., always hit that spot over and over, opening the door? .. That set of defects, -- you really have to very, very, careful to NOT get close to the very thin paint on the door edge.. In fact, I might even take some 1/8" painters masking tape and carefully tape off that edge just in case the Rotary accidently wanders over there..
    Dan F
    Dan - Appreciate the suggestions. It sounds like the next step on my journey would include getting one of those tools that can measure the thickness of the paint. if it isn`t too low I might look into learning how to use a rotary. The door handles and the gas cap lid are the worst by far, probably just carelessness. There are other panels that have some defects as well - the rear hatch where it meets the glass, and the lower edge by the drivers door. Like I said, candidates for improving my skills, but a few feet away it isn`t really noticeable.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!!! Nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint looks great! Nicely done.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks Bill1975 thanked for this post

Thread Information