Post Thanks / Like

2005 Pontiac GTO - Cyclone Grey Metallic - A Miracle Detailing - Cquartz Professional ceramic coating

2005 Pontiac GTO - Cyclone Grey Metallic - A Miracle Detailing - Cquartz Professional ceramic coating

A 6.0-liter V8 rated at 400 horsepower and 395 pound-feet of torque with a close-ratio manual transmission.

A 15-year-old vehicle that had been neglected and subjected to severe wash abuse.
    This one was a challenge to restore it to..."as close as possible to a showroom new finish".

The paint was covered in some type of heavy "crud"...I`m not sure what it was or what to call it.
    It was a heavy thick layer of some type of "funk" that was stuck on top of the tons of swirl marks.

After trying a few different pad/product combinations. A 3-4 step process pad/compound/polish worked.
    NOTE: Every paint is different - Always test first. IMHO a Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG) is a must-have tool.
    There were places on the paint that was already thin. These areas were barely touched. Clearcoat is precious.

Machine: Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate and IBrid Nano.

Correction:
    In some extreme areas CarPro Merino Wool Pad w/ Meguiars M101 (measure, polish, measure, polish, repeat...)
    In most other areas Meg`s microfiber cutting pad w/Scholl Concepts Shock 2 Cut Extreme Compound was fine.

Polishing:
    Scholl Concepts 5 1/2" Purple Spider pad w/Scholl Concepts S2 - Extra Heavy Cut (not the same as Shock Cut)

Final Polishing:
    Rupes Yellow Fine Foam Pad - 5" Dia. w/CarPro Essence: EXTREME Gloss Primer

Last Step Products:
    Cquartz Professional ceramic coating on paint and wheels
    CQuartz Dlux Wheel & Trim Coating on trim
    CarPro Clarify Glass Cleaner on windows
    OBSSSSD Tire Dressing - Matte finish

360 walk-around video - Please click bottom Gear for Quality 1080p w/audio

At this point, I thought I`d start with this 50/50 roof pic. Every part of the car looked like that.

The Merlin Shot

Left side

Right Side

Another hood shot.

Thanks for Looking!
    PLEASE subscribe to my social media channels!

Any questions please feel free to ask.
    Please post any feedback in a reply.
    Question/Feedback is truly appreciated.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes Tc99m, Loach, bofh, ernman, re-tired and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2005 Pontiac GTO - Cyclone Grey Metallic - A Miracle Detailing - Cquartz Professional ceramic coating

Great job on that hammered Goat Merlin! You saved a decently rare/classic! Well done...
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes re-tired liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2005 Pontiac GTO - Cyclone Grey Metallic - A Miracle Detailing - Cquartz Professional ceramic coating

Love the color on that GTO, awesome turnaround Merlin! How are you liking the Scholl abrasives? I`m still a bit miffed on missing out on that huge Scholl closeout sale a few years ago on Autogeek.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes re-tired liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Did you find the paint to be super soft? I have the same color and it seems to swirl and scratch no matter how careful I am.
    2005 Pontiac GTO
    2014 HD Street Glide
    2020 Volvo V60
    2019 Volvo XC60

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    How are you liking the Scholl abrasives? I`m still a bit miffed on missing out on that huge Scholl closeout sale a few years ago on Autogeek.
    Me too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Great job on that hammered Goat Merlin! You saved a decently rare/classic! Well done...
    Thank You!
    It was pretty rough when I got it but it turned out sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Love the color on that GTO, awesome turnaround Merlin!

How are you liking the Scholl abrasives? I`m still a bit miffed on missing out on that huge Scholl closeout sale a few years ago on Autogeek.
    Thank you! That is very kind.

Scholls S2 Shock cut had become a new favorite of mine for heavy correction.
    Very little (if any) dusting. Great cut. Works great. Nice finish. Easy to work with!

Scholls S30+ is another nice finishing polish. It works great on a DA.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Thanks Loach thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TonesGTO View Post
    Did you find the paint to be super soft? I have the same color and it seems to swirl and scratch no matter how careful I am.
    I didn`t find it to be super soft. In this case, it was pretty hammered.
    Soft pads. Soft polishes and GOOD quality microfiber towels make a huge difference.
    A high quality 70/30 blend 320 GSM worked nicely for removing compound/polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Merlin:
    I assume you "abraded" off the crud or funk or what ever it was (dealer-applied "lifetime" sealant??) that was on this GTO during the correction phase.

I like the fact that you did a trial-and-error method to find a pad and compound/polish combo that worked for this particular paint and the polish-measure-polish-measure method. Most hobbyist or do-it-yourselfers do not have a Paint Thickness Gauge, so I this is another reason to allow a Professional Detailer with the right tools to do this job.

I also see more of the Scholl`s products and pads getting some attention in this forum. however, the only place I found I can purchase them from is "Sky`s the Limit Car Care Products" . Keep us informed as you use more their products and how they work for you.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Merlin!

You made that GTO look better than new.

Thread Information