Post Thanks / Like

New Tesla, do I need to say more?

New client referred by another Tesla owner. As usual the dealership or whatever they call it treated him wonderfully! As you can see , they buffed the car with a rotary and wool pad, but somehow missed the 6 factory sand marks! We corrected with the 21 using a microfiber pad and correction cream, polishing done with Griot’s perfecting cream on a yellow perfecting pad, refined with the GG6 and a black finishing pad with perfecting cream. Finished the day with Modesta Primer. Coated with Modesta BC04 on paint, wheels with Modesta BCO6 using the airbrush, glass with Modesta EGC, trim with Modesta EPC, and all leather with Modesta Leather Protection System. Tires with Swissvax. Thank you for looking! We always appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes dwaleke, Stokdgs, fries, SWETM, lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Tesla, do I need to say more?

Does anyone have a clue as to why the pictures show in reverse order?

Post Thanks / Like

Good write up Mike, made me laugh-typical Tesla paint. Looks fantastic now!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible job - as always.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the car looked like before the dealer had it buffed? Whoever is doing the detailing is just making it worse, I`m guessing. Great work!
    My stable includes a 2019 Toyota Avalon and a 2016 BMW 550i.

Post Thanks / Like

While many here (including myself) dis and cuss at dealer detailers , or more correctly, new-car prep technicians, they simply are not allotted the proper amount of time to fully prep and correct new vehicles. It may be true that some of them lack good training and proper rotary buffer techniques or car-care chemicals and equipment (compounds and polishes and pads) and simply must adhere to a schedule and equipment and products provided to them. Time is money for ALL vehicle dealers, new and used. In reading this thread, I doubt ANY prep technician would be allowed the time to do a three step correction and polish as Mike has done here. Maybe I should as Mike, how much time did it take to complete this three-step process??

That said, many of you who are reading this thread make a (somewhat decent) living as professional detailers fixing these dealer foo-pahs, including this vehicle and others Mike has posted. Yes, it is a tragedy and exasperating to those of us Autopians who are true perfectionist and Obsessive-Compulsive Detailers (OCD), but one person`s misfortune is another person`s opportunity.

Mike, did you find the Tesla paint "finicky"? Besides the much-publicized Tesla factory paint quality issues and what you "discovered" in this vehicle, is the paint itself "softer" than other OEM paints and more difficult to "finesse" ??

I see that you keep adding the upside-down bottle of Modesta BC-04/BC-06 to your signature "Maryland Merlin" and "backwards ADT sign" photo repertory. It`s a Modesta dealer training moniker, for those who do not know, like Maxwell coffee: "Good to the last drop." (or prove you have used it ALL!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the kind words! The Modesta bottle thing is kinda an inside joke. Some coating companies use a large bottle for numerous cars. Modesta is 1 bottle for each vehicle, assuring the product is fresh for each one. As far as time and money at the dealership, you are exactly right, however because they don’t spend does not mean they should damage, sometimes beyond repair a new car. As far as the paint, I don’t believe in hard or soft. In my opinion, it corrects easily or it’s difficult. This paint was very easy to fix using the steps and products.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work Mike!

Not the most extreme case of defects you have showed us. And that`s a good thing.

Don`t know how much substance this has. But a rep from Meguiars Sweden mentioned that Meguiars had been involved to get Tesla properly corrected from the factory. He mentioned also that Tesla don`t want to much of orange peel either. And that it self can make their paints on the softer side of hardness of the clearcoat. Then things can be missed.

But I was surprised when I joined this forum on the quality the dealership sells their vehicals in the US. It`s very rare that you see a really bad polishing job on new vehicals and even used ones that`s going to be delivered to the customer here in Sweden. Sure there are some hacks but that`s on where they sell used vehicals which has 5-10 years old and older ones for selling. I don`t blame the detailer cause it`s a management and in a way the owners fault. That`s they who gives the conditions for the detailers work. Can also be how the chain looks like when it comes to the new vehicals. Here in Sweden the dealerships is authorised dealerships for even being able to sell their brand and for new vehicals. And if the HQ of the brands national distributor would here that their vehicals is delivered in poor conditions. They are short lived if they don`t fix it and is banned to sell the new vehicals. It`s also very brand oriented and just the brands that are co-owned higher up that you can see different brands at those that sells new vehicals or they have some kind of cooperation nation wide. Can be the difference that the dealerships has some kind of pressure from the brand of the vehicals. Idk it`s just so strange to me that see these kind of conditions on new vehicals and nothing happens. I mean sure average Joe and Jane may not see some light swirls. But the getting the extreme cases of vehicals and accept that`s how they are is hard for me to understand. It`s a huge industry so there must be many vehicals that don`t goes on to a detailer afterwards and point it out. Is it a difference between the states where the quality can be different or even between cities? We have discussed this before Mike so not specific directed to you but in general in the different places we live in.

Post Thanks / Like

It turned out awesome!

Absolutely beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    That said, many of you who are reading this thread make a (somewhat decent) living as professional detailers fixing these dealer foo-pahs, including this vehicle and others Mike has posted...

Mike, did you find the Tesla paint "finicky"? Besides the much-publicized Tesla factory paint quality issues and what you "discovered" in this vehicle, is the paint itself "softer" than other OEM paints and more difficult to "finesse" ??

I see that you keep adding the upside-down bottle of Modesta BC-04/BC-06 to your signature "Maryland Merlin" and "backwards ADT sign" photo repertory. It`s a Modesta dealer training moniker, for those who do not know, like Maxwell coffee: "Good to the last drop." (or prove you have used it ALL!)
    True, dealerships do not care about the swirl marks, holograms, etc. and sadly they do not care about the paint finish. The peddler is selling a "car".

I have done quite a few Teslas. I have found that the paint will vary dramatically between one vehicle and another. Soft, hard, thick, thin, finicky, etc.

I just love the "Maryland Merlin"!!! and yes, between two coats on the paint and the wheels many times you are lucky if 50ml is enough to finish the car.

Post Thanks / Like

One coat on the paint with Modesta as it is that thick.

Thread Information