Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess it`s time to get back at it...

Well, time to get at it...boxful of Kamikaze`s best for the new-to-us 2016 Porsche Cayman S.

Did a lot of the prep last weekend with Gtechniq Citrus Foam, Polish Angel Ultrared, Gyeon Iron & Nanoskin mitt. Took out some deeper stuff w BOSS Correcting Cream, B & S Urofiber pad on Flex 3401 last weekend as well.

Most of the taping done tonite w Kami Yellow Tape, tomorrow polish w Rupes 15 Mk2 & new Kami Banzai Dynamics backing plate. Sonax Perfect Finish w yellow Rupes foam appears to work nicely based on a few test spots. Such a wonderfully tiny car, curvaceous enough that Rupes Mini will see a lot of use methinks. Plans are to coat Sunday with Zipang-Miyabi-Zipang.

Won`t get to wheels until next week, Kamikaze Stance + Polish Angel Supersport for those. Probably drop a coat of Kamikaze Infinity Wax on next weekend `cuz it`s just so fun to use and adds a nice touch of `relaxed high gloss` to the surface and then wrap it all up with some Overcoat.

That`s the plan anyway...should be a fun weekend. Bonus points for heading on over to local shop Rehab Detailing for their VIP Lifestyle Night Saturday night to see some pretty cool cars and more.

Likes rlmccarty2000, Stokdgs, RMD, Coleroad, bofh and 11 others liked this post
    Thanks DaveT435 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guess it`s time to get back at it...

Congrats on the new ride! I hope your weather is cooler than mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Congrats on the new ride! I hope your weather is cooler than mine.
    Thanks...car is just a blast, little go kart on a truckload of steroids! Surprisingly roomy and comfortable, even at 6`2".

Gonna be perfect garage coating weather, 65-68 degrees and dry.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Who’s winning a race? This or the wife’s new Vette?

You know how to party with the nice cats and nice products... no one does it better, Budget.
    Likes Oneheadlite, BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Curious about the new backing plate.The material it is made of,I believe it is aluminum is this correct.Then your thoughts how it works for you
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Who’s winning a race? This or the wife’s new Vette?

You know how to party with the nice cats and nice products... no one does it better, Budget.
    Well, given a tight course, Cayman will eat the Vettes lunch. Hit a long straight and 460hp of the Vette will likely even things out.

Vette is 460hp/460tq pushing 3400lbs.

Cayman is 325hp/273tq pushing just under 3000lbs

Vette powerband is pretty nice line from 1500rpm to 6500rpm, Cayman flat-6 really doesn`t come on strong until 4000rpm thru 7400rpm so gotta keep on the tach...easily done with the paddle shifted PDK tranny.

Cayman is 4.7 0-60mph, Vette is 3.7.

On paper, Vette should kill it but the Cayman is much tighter and nimbler and overall WAY more fun. And more comfortable.

I`ll continue to hope that wife continues to love the Vette, leaving Cayman predominantly for me. Just boatloads of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man143 View Post
    Curious about the new backing plate.The material it is made of,I believe it is aluminum is this correct.Then your thoughts how it works for you
    So far, with limited use on hood and roof, it`s a very nice piece, seems a bit smoother and easier to rotate than previous Beast. Maybe lighter, dunno.

Beveled edge is a little funky to get used to bet makes getting pad off easier. Will have more thoughts later...
    Likes acuRAS82, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool products, cool equipment, cool car and for sure OUTSTANDING results to come
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Cool products, cool equipment, cool car and for sure OUTSTANDING results to come
    Unfortunately, I am sometimes my own worst enemy.

Ok, here it is...

Prepping the new Cayman for coating. Paint is in pretty good shape overall but some deeper defects on the roof that are gonna take a bit more than a few passes with Sonax Perfect Finish.

Grab the Scholls S3, BOSS Microfiber cutting disc and BOSS21, takes care of them nicely. As can happen, see some residual haze with the Scangrip pen light, no big deal...Perfect Finish, yellow Rupes pad...no problem. Pen light still shows the typical `starburst` that indicates residue and/or haze afterwards. Interesting, as the combo generally clears that up well...sure did last night after some test spots.

Can`t be residue cuz usually that manifests itself in the direction of the of the starburst legs that change direction when switching from up-down wipe to a side-to-side and this haze doesn`t do that. Oh well, different paints need different combos sometimes. Start emptying my cabinet, trying different things. Firm pads, soft pads, open cell, closed cell, SMAT polishes, DAT polishes...nothing is clearing it up. Meguiars, HD, Scholls, BOSS Creams, Sonax, Angelwax, Rupes...I`m running outta stuff to try.

After about 2hrs (I can create A LOT of pad/polish combos with all the stuff in my cabinet) I`m perplexed and am outta ideas. Sit down to ponder my next move and happen to notice the front fender top, shine pen light at it and see the same starburst/haze. Well, that was one of the test spots I did last night with Rupes yellow and Perfect Finish and it had perfect clarity last night, hence my settling on that for the majority of the correction. WTF? It was perfect last night. Move in for a closer look, push my glasses to the top of my (apparently empty) head, shine pen light at paint and see great clarity. Glasses on, haze...glasses off, clarity.

The haze that I`ve been trying to clear up for 2hrs on the surface of the paint is NOT ON THE PAINT BUT ON MY GLASSES.

I guess sometimes the answer you seek is not really very complex but rather, in this case, literally right at the tip of my nose.

Unbelievable...
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM, acuRAS82, tyusaf, Coleroad and 12 others liked this post
    Thanks Coleroad, VitreousHumor, bofh, 340mopars thanked for this post
    Dislikes 340mopars disliked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a story ! Sorry that had to happen..

I have worn contact lenses for over 50 years and would not hesitate to recommend them to you..
    Never have to worry about them getting dirty on your eyes, they are so easy to put on and remove; washing in a little vial of cleaner that does all the work for you so you don`t have to touch them except to insert or remove, so trouble free..

They can be prescribed for 20/20 in both eyes or in something less for the non dominant eye, so you now have great vision for close up and almost 20/20 for long range.. This means no longer having readers everywhere, except where you need them and cant find them...

They can be purchased as Daily wear and throw away, or like mine that I wear for 2-weeks and them throw them away and put in a new pair, and probably other nice timelines.. They also correct astigmatism which I now have in both eyes..

Bet that paintwork is the just beautiful !!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh man that gave some extra headache with the glasses. There we can see how many variables it is when you polishing to perfection.

You will getting the Cayman looking amazing I`m sure of. The aluminum backing plates has caught my interest. Tac System has one that I`m interested to test out. The Kamikaze backing plate costs more than my Rupes 21mm longthrow polisher copy LOL. The Cocraft HPV 720 is the longthrow polisher I have and the retail price is $90 and it sometimes goes on sales. Have seen it at $60 as the lowest price. It`s a lot of bang for the buck on this one but needs to be switching the backing plate on it and I will change the lube in the gears of it. I bought the Shinemate Dust Devil backing plate 123mm and just got the 150mm too. Shinemate does the Adam`s polishers and wondering if they have the Dust Devil backing plate. It`s a great backing plate and it has fittings for both the Rupes and to the 8mm free spinning DA polishers on the same backing plate which is nice. And it gets the washer mod from the beginning. But the Kamikaze backing plates is something I would be very interested to test out on my polisher to see if I would get a little more balanced polisher. Rambling on again LOL

Looking forward to see the results on the Porsche Cayman S!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

LOL at your glasses story!!! OMG, how frustrating!!!

+1 on backing plate review.

And...Agate Grey will absolutely blow you away after you are finished. So many different `looks` and colors to it. Different light makes it look different. Almost pearl like sometimes!

Looking forward to afters!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Coleroad, Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Wow, what a story ! Sorry that had to happen..

I have worn contact lenses for over 50 years and would not hesitate to recommend them to you..
    Never have to worry about them getting dirty on your eyes, they are so easy to put on and remove; washing in a little vial of cleaner that does all the work for you so you don`t have to touch them except to insert or remove, so trouble free..

They can be prescribed for 20/20 in both eyes or in something less for the non dominant eye, so you now have great vision for close up and almost 20/20 for long range.. This means no longer having readers everywhere, except where you need them and cant find them...

They can be purchased as Daily wear and throw away, or like mine that I wear for 2-weeks and them throw them away and put in a new pair, and probably other nice timelines.. They also correct astigmatism which I now have in both eyes..

Bet that paintwork is the just beautiful !!!
    Dan F
    Did the contact lens thing for 30 years...glasses are *generally* more convenient for me. Usually just wear when driving, dunno why I had em on yesterday.

On the plus side, realizing the paint was actually OK was quite a relief.

Some of us are prone to learning the hard way!
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a contact lenses wearer too. I couldn’t imagine detailing without them. Glasses get too much in the way for me.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that took a bit longer than I thought...like it always does Guess it`s time to get back at it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Unfortunately, I am sometimes my own worst enemy.

Ok, here it is...

Prepping the new Cayman for coating. Paint is in pretty good shape overall but some deeper defects on the roof that are gonna take a bit more than a few passes with Sonax Perfect Finish.

Grab the Scholls S3, BOSS Microfiber cutting disc and BOSS21, takes care of them nicely. As can happen, see some residual haze with the Scangrip pen light, no big deal...Perfect Finish, yellow Rupes pad...no problem. Pen light still shows the typical `starburst` that indicates residue and/or haze afterwards. Interesting, as the combo generally clears that up well...sure did last night after some test spots.

Can`t be residue cuz usually that manifests itself in the direction of the of the starburst legs that change direction when switching from up-down wipe to a side-to-side and this haze doesn`t do that. Oh well, different paints need different combos sometimes. Start emptying my cabinet, trying different things. Firm pads, soft pads, open cell, closed cell, SMAT polishes, DAT polishes...nothing is clearing it up. Meguiars, HD, Scholls, BOSS Creams, Sonax, Angelwax, Rupes...I`m running outta stuff to try.

After about 2hrs (I can create A LOT of pad/polish combos with all the stuff in my cabinet) I`m perplexed and am outta ideas. Sit down to ponder my next move and happen to notice the front fender top, shine pen light at it and see the same starburst/haze. Well, that was one of the test spots I did last night with Rupes yellow and Perfect Finish and it had perfect clarity last night, hence my settling on that for the majority of the correction. WTF? It was perfect last night. Move in for a closer look, push my glasses to the top of my (apparently empty) head, shine pen light at paint and see great clarity. Glasses on, haze...glasses off, clarity.

The haze that I`ve been trying to clear up for 2hrs on the surface of the paint is NOT ON THE PAINT BUT ON MY GLASSES.

I guess sometimes the answer you seek is not really very complex but rather, in this case, literally right at the tip of my nose.

Unbelievable...
    Guess it`s time to get back at it...-glasses.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Coleroad, SWETM, 340mopars liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information