Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guess it`s time to get back at it...

Well sorry you wasted several hours of your life but glad you shared for our amusement. 2 amazing cars in the stable now. Both beast with separate purposes.

Hope you love it and get to drive it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    ...2 amazing cars in the stable now. Both beast with separate purposes.
    Although both are touted for superior handling, the driving characteristics are markedly different. In comparison to the Cayman, the Vette is actually somewhat ponderous. The mid-engine in the Porsche is a true game changer, so much more planted and `tossable`. While I always loved my 2016 Subie WRX because it was lighter on it`s feet and handled like a small car as well, the power was down and the creature comforts were somewhat lacking....it was gone after 18 months because of that. Always said I would like a Mazda Miata that had more hp to it and that`s kinda what the Cayman is.

Hope you love it and get to drive it!
    I plan on driving the Cayman more and worrying about it less than if it were brand-new, which is a definite plus. It`s already accumulated some small nicks here and there from life on the road and I didn`t bother touching them up before coating it; it will be getting more so what was the point? Still looks better than 95% of the cars in your average parking lot and you have to be an OCD-ish zealot (like we all likely are here) to notice any defects.

Still some minor things to work out w/ the dealer under original/CPO Warranty (2.5 years left on that combo).

- When cold, very lite, low speed application of the brakes results in some `groaning` from them on pedal push/release.

Whined a bit about tire wear when we purchased as it was a bit down but still within CPO wear specs; dealer called yesterday and said they ordered a new set of tires under CPO so that`s a nice freebie.

Still some oddball quirks that come with the car, nothing wrong but stuff to get used to.

1. Key is on left side of steering wheel; always by habit have key in right hand when I get in a car that needs a key so will take a bit to get used to that.
    2. Unless you shut down the entire entertainment system, every time you start the car the radio is on. That`s just a quirk of the system, nothing wrong there....but odd.
    3. Same as #2 above, but with Climate Control. If ya turn it all off when you exit car, when starting car fan is always on low.

Still, taking some time to get used to things but I think this one may fit my wants in a fun car rather well. I like small cars and this is certainly that. A bit wary of having to do routine maintenance at dealer to keep warranty intact...have heard mentions of $400 oil changes and $2300 Service Interval prices...we`ll see how that goes.

Car sits very low, only 4.25" off of pavement so gotta get a new very low profile jack to get it up in the air, appropriate jack pads/stands and such. Whole new adventure for sure but I think it`s gonna be interesting.

Finished with a coat of Infinity Wax last night, topped with Overcoat this morning and good to go. Have to pull, clean and coat wheels this weekend and then good to go. Hopefully.

I pondered throwing some PA High Gloss Paste Wax on there but since I had Infinity, went with that instead.
    Guess it`s time to get back at it...-20190910_091809_resized.jpg

Guess it`s time to get back at it...-20190910_091823_resized.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Great ride, great story.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Although both are touted for superior handling, the driving characteristics are markedly different. In comparison to the Cayman, the Vette is actually somewhat ponderous. The mid-engine in the Porsche is a true game changer, so much more planted and `tossable`. While I always loved my 2016 Subie WRX because it was lighter on it`s feet and handled like a small car as well, the power was down and the creature comforts were somewhat lacking....it was gone after 18 months because of that. Always said I would like a Mazda Miata that had more hp to it and that`s kinda what the Cayman is.

I plan on driving the Cayman more and worrying about it less than if it were brand-new, which is a definite plus. It`s already accumulated some small nicks here and there from life on the road and I didn`t bother touching them up before coating it; it will be getting more so what was the point? Still looks better than 95% of the cars in your average parking lot and you have to be an OCD-ish zealot (like we all likely are here) to notice any defects.

Still some minor things to work out w/ the dealer under original/CPO Warranty (2.5 years left on that combo).

- When cold, very lite, low speed application of the brakes results in some `groaning` from them on pedal push/release.

Whined a bit about tire wear when we purchased as it was a bit down but still within CPO wear specs; dealer called yesterday and said they ordered a new set of tires under CPO so that`s a nice freebie.

Still some oddball quirks that come with the car, nothing wrong but stuff to get used to.

1. Key is on left side of steering wheel; always by habit have key in right hand when I get in a car that needs a key so will take a bit to get used to that.
    2. Unless you shut down the entire entertainment system, every time you start the car the radio is on. That`s just a quirk of the system, nothing wrong there....but odd.
    3. Same as #2 above, but with Climate Control. If ya turn it all off when you exit car, when starting car fan is always on low.

Still, taking some time to get used to things but I think this one may fit my wants in a fun car rather well. I like small cars and this is certainly that. A bit wary of having to do routine maintenance at dealer to keep warranty intact...have heard mentions of $400 oil changes and $2300 Service Interval prices...we`ll see how that goes.

Car sits very low, only 4.25" off of pavement so gotta get a new very low profile jack to get it up in the air, appropriate jack pads/stands and such. Whole new adventure for sure but I think it`s gonna be interesting.

Finished with a coat of Infinity Wax last night, topped with Overcoat this morning and good to go. Have to pull, clean and coat wheels this weekend and then good to go. Hopefully.

I pondered throwing some PA High Gloss Paste Wax on there but since I had Infinity, went with that instead.
    Guess it`s time to get back at it...-20190910_091809_resized.jpg

Guess it`s time to get back at it...-20190910_091823_resized.jpg
    I’m proud of you the strength you showing by not ordering the high gloss paste wax. I do however feel that you are fighting axloosing battle.

You should look into the quick jacks. Makes jacking up car so much easier. I haven’t used for detailing yet but from reviews makes working on cars my much easier

Post Thanks / Like

That came out very nice Budget.Those tail lights are wild looking.But nice still just having a hard time with waxing over a coating.LOL But it’s does look good,very good.Enjoy you earned it.Maybe by end October I will find time to mine

Post Thanks / Like

Ok i can`t be the first to click dislike when i thought i was doing the opposite, is there a way to correct this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car, beautiful job and great story. But a couple of questions. If your car is coated, how does Infinity Wax work, as I always thought not to apply a wax over a coating? Similarly, applying Overcoat over the wax?

Post Thanks / Like

I’m proud of you the strength you showing by not ordering the high gloss paste wax. I do however feel that you are fighting axloosing battle.

You should look into the quick jacks. Makes jacking up car so much easier. I haven’t used for detailing yet but from reviews makes working on cars my much easier

I`ve looked into the quick jacks before, dunno...just don`t put car in the air more than once or twice a year so probably just kinda get in the way the rest of the time. If some showed up free of charge, sure I could make it work though! I did look into it, but with the factory, non-adjustable sports suspension with the 20mm drop, the Cayman jacking point is only 4" off the ground...kinda iffy if a Quick Jack + Jacking pad would fit. Many on the p-car forums use these to get a wheels-up on jackstands so have a set of these on the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoP9bt1C9Dc and even then it may require driving the car up on a short length of 2x6 to get the required clearance.

Cayman is so low and has a limited number of accessible jacking points available w/ even a very low profile jack (one of which I need to buy as well) so it`s kinda a limited option available kinda deal. Many also use `liftbars` which I may grab a set of if the Quick Jack doesn`t inspire confidence:

Guess it`s time to get back at it...-liftbars.jpg

The Cayman makes the Vette seem like a 4x4 as far as ground clearance goes.

As for the PA High Gloss Paste Wax...if`n i wouldn`t have bought Infinity about 2 weeks before the High Gloss was revealed, I woulda gone that way for sure. Since I already had a relatively expensive, coating-friendly wax on the shelf (Infinity) I actually did the sensible thing and used what I had as opposed to buying an even more expensive coating-friendly wax. It`s been a somewhat costly `detailing season` with getting the Vette done professionally and doing 2 cars with Zipang/Miyabi/Infinity so the, uh, `recreational automotive` savings account is kinda hurtin` right now. Did have the mouse hovering over the High Gloss `Buy` button once or twice but just couldn`t make that final click.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man143 View Post
    That came out very nice Budget.Those tail lights are wild looking.But nice still just having a hard time with waxing over a coating.LOL But it’s does look good,very good.Enjoy you earned it.Maybe by end October I will find time to mine
    Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Beautiful car, beautiful job and great story. But a couple of questions. If your car is coated, how does Infinity Wax work, as I always thought not to apply a wax over a coating? Similarly, applying Overcoat over the wax?
    Infinity Wax is part of the `Collection` so it plays well with the coatings. So the marketing-speak sez...been using it like this for a year or two, no issues. In this case, just following directions!

KAMIKAZE COLLECTION INFINITY WAX

KAMIKAZE created an entirely new product category when they developed their new INFINITY WAX...The Ultimate Hybrid Performance Wax!
    Utilizing 53.7% high grade Carnauba Wax, and 39.2% Japanese glass coating, INFINITY WAX combines the best of both worlds...the amazing gloss of wax, with the durability of glass coating. Whereas most waxes will only last a month or two, INFINITY WAX is designed to last upwards of over a year! For maintenance of INFINITY WAX, it is recommended to use OVERCOAT by KAMIKAZE.
    INFINITY WAX deepens and enhances the colors of your car, and will look great on everything from bright white to pure black.
    For the ultimate in paint protection, use INFINITY WAX on top of one of the other KAMIKAZE coatings (MIYABI COAT, ISM COAT). The looks are absolutely amazing, and the protection is unmatched.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Is the infinity wax dust attraction similar to other waxes? Better? Worse? Does overcoat bring it back to the typical kamikaze dust repellent behavior (myabi/ism is on car w/overcoat)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbmag1 View Post
    Is the infinity wax dust attraction similar to other waxes? Better? Worse? Does overcoat bring it back to the typical kamikaze dust repellent behavior (myabi/ism is on car w/overcoat)?
    Doesn`t dust nearly as much as conventional carnauba but I always have Overcoat on top which returns the entire thing to Overcoat-ish performance while maintaining the somewhat `relaxed high gloss` of the underlying Infinity + coatings look.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it`s time to get back at it...

I`ve looked into the quick jacks before, dunno...just don`t put car in the air more than once or twice a year so probably just kinda get in the way the rest of the time. If some showed up free of charge, sure I could make it work though! I did look into it, but with the factory, non-adjustable sports suspension with the 20mm drop, the Cayman jacking point is only 4" off the ground...kinda iffy if a Quick Jack + Jacking pad would fit. Many on the p-car forums use these to get a wheels-up on jackstands so have a set of these on the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoP9bt1C9Dc and even then it may require driving the car up on a short length of 2x6 to get the required clearance.

Cayman is so low and has a limited number of accessible jacking points available w/ even a very low profile jack (one of which I need to buy as well) so it`s kinda a limited option available kinda deal. Many also use `liftbars` which I may grab a set of if the Quick Jack doesn`t inspire confidence:

Guess it`s time to get back at it...-liftbars.jpg

The Cayman makes the Vette seem like a 4x4 as far as ground clearance goes.
    Mustang has limited mounting point and needs to be lifted on pinch welds..... you look like you have same issues.

Check this out they seem to get a lot of love.

ZL1 Add ons is name of company

Even lifting all your cars once a year seems QJ would Definetly seem to make life easier they have pinch weld blocks that will also work form quick jack. As for storage I ordered these.

The standard 5000slx quick jack is 3” tall. It should work at 4.25”. Mines a tad lower so bought these

Got them from Jeff bezos.... look up “discount mini ramp”

Post Thanks / Like

Polish Angel High gloss wax.Oooouch $$$ thought swissvax was spendy.Which wasn’t really impressed with smelled great.Think I will wait until your bank account replenish’s and your review.LOL You can’t resist it very long

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang has limited mounting point and needs to be lifted on pinch welds..... you look like you have same issues.

Check this out they seem to get a lot of love.

ZL1 Add ons is name of company

Even lifting all your cars once a year seems QJ would Definetly seem to make life easier they have pinch weld blocks that will also work form quick jack. As for storage I ordered these.

The standard 5000slx quick jack is 3” tall. It should work at 4.25”. Mines a tad lower so bought these

Got them from Jeff bezos.... look up “discount mini ramp”

Discount mini ramps look like a useful item...thanks. Have you ever seen a Race Ramp in person? I`m curious as to what makes them so expensive, are they that different?

Cayman is a peg/hole jackpoint so hadda get those.

Hopefully it all goes, uh, according to plan. Wanna pull and coat wheels this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man143 View Post
    Polish Angel High gloss wax.Oooouch $$$ thought swissvax was spendy.Which wasn’t really impressed with smelled great.Think I will wait until your bank account replenish’s and your review.LOL You can’t resist it very long
    Pretty stupendous number, eh? It` be fun to use for sure...and far beyond practical. I just got nuthin` to use it on and if I was gonna go with it, better believe it`d be on the hood of a car I see daily.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I have a set of ZL1 Add on and the jack safety brackets. Works great. Still need angled 2x12 to get the low profile jack under the car

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty stupendous number, eh? It` be fun to use for sure...and far beyond practical. I just got nuthin` to use it on and if I was gonna go with it, better believe it`d be on the hood of a car I see daily.
    We’re talking about the $225 HG wax at Esoteric, right?

I’ve held off as well but it’s a matter of time. Was hoping PA would carry it so I could snag during a 15% off sale, but no such luck.

As for ceramic waxes and dust, I have Angelwax Enigma on for the last month and it’s not a dust magnet by any means. Same with IGL EcoCoat Wax which is on my roof. PBL Synergy on my roof isn’t bad with dust attraction after the initial wash (that one has carnauba). I would imagine Infinity Wax to also ignore dust in similar fashion... basically I see these waxes being equivalent to SiO2 Spray toppers as far as dust resistance, which is a positive attribute IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information