Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 BMW X5 M Exterior - Pinnacle correction and Angelwax protection

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    At least here in Sweden those soaps is very diluted down and don`t do much of helping the PW to clean with. I`m very methodical to hit all parts of the car with the water pressure from the PW. Then it`s just what distance you can get away from the vehical without loosing the cleaning ability from the PW. But with a lot of road film dirt it`s mostly needed to be doing a touching wash to get it all off. There are a few prewash foams and pretreatment that is really great at desolving the road film. And would be surprised if the coin-op wash bays has any near as effective ones. Also since it`s not a controlled application and rinse off as in a touchless wash tunnel. They would take a big risk to use a harsh cheaper cleaner if the user would have it on the paint for too long. In the coin-op wash bays here in Sweden there is a brush attachement you push forward on the wand and aggitate with and pull back when you use the PW. If you where the only one to use and take care of it. It would not be so bad. But with many that just don`t care of things these is very dirty. It`s not something that you would want to be touching your paint with LOL
    Yeah, the spray detergent was definitely weak. I sprayed for quite awhile because of it but just wasn’t strong enough to get the road grime off. This car wash had a separate squirt broom that I didn’t go near.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on that ride I love it !

Good write up. Enjoy her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

2015 BMW X5 M Exterior - Pinnacle correction and Angelwax protection

Update 9/6/19: After getting home and taking a good look at my filthy, bug splattered X5, I saw that the bird bomb did indeed etch into the paint.
    IMG_4957.JPGIMG_4958.JPG

It’s been 3 days since the bird bomb occurred, was left on for 7 hours, and then blasted off with water pressure during my trip.

Before jumping to the conclusion that AngelWax Titanium (2 coats) and Enigma (2 coats) have terrible bird bomb resistance, I do want to note that this BMW may be prone to etching. It had a coating on it when I purchased, and the below picture is of the front middle of the hood with etchings all over:
    IMG_4959.JPG

Granted, coatings aren’t exactly known for protection against etching, I was hoping that the 4 coats of coating lite/hybrids would be better than what the previous owner had... I’ve never had etching issues on the Acura or Audi using waxes, sealants or SiO2 sprays, so this is new territory for me.

So figured I would try to remove the etching with least aggressive approaches first, and see how the AngelWax combo handles chemical resistance.
    - Started with N-914. Not a chance, no change in etching intensity
    - Next, WG Paint Prep Spray. Not a chance, no change in etching intensity
    - Then WG Bug Remover. Not a chance, no change in etching intensity
    - Then Meg’s APC 1:10. Not a chance, no change in etching intensity
    - Then Mckees Engine Degreaser. Not a chance, no change in etching intensity
    Here’s the result after all these products:
    IMG_4960.JPG

Finally, I tried PBL Surface Cleansing Polish, my last resort before going to aggressive abrasives and deciding when I want to spot apply 2-4 coats of AngelWax.

Eureka! PBL SFC with a red 3” finishing pad on the GG6 got rid of the etching (to the point that I can only barely see part of it under the craziest angles/lighting). Good enough considering the rest of the hood has bird crap mummies all over it.

Here’s the result:
    IMG_4961.JPGIMG_4962.JPG

How did the area hold up to all this abuse, you ask? I dropped some water on a cleaned but untouched part of the hood to confirm the normal sheeting speed. Sheets like a champ of course. Then dropped the same amount over the bird bomb area, I didn’t notice any decrease in sheeting speed:
    IMG_4964.JPG
    IMG_4965.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG

I will say that I can feel a difference when I run my finger over the area. Maybe the Enigma is compromised slightly. Maybe Enigma is gone and TI-22 is left uncovered (based on sheeting I think Enigma still remains). Maybe nothing is compromised and any bit of gunk from my 1000 mile trip is all gone after throwing the kitchen sink at it, therefore making the area feel a bit more slick.

Who knows, but it’s clear there is still good protection leftover.

I will check the beading sheeting again in a few when I wash the full vehicle, but I will be using my new Enigma Shampoo which in theory should reinforce anything that was degraded in the bird bomb area.

More to come!

Post Thanks / Like

Did my wash tonight, but opted against using Enigma Shampoo because I wanted a real look at the left over protection near the bird bomb. So I grabbed the last leave-nothing-behind car wash in my aresenal:
    IMG_4968.JPGIMG_4981.JPG

Prior to washing I rinsed and compared the bird spot to the rest of the hood. Bird spot is definitely looking diminished during a full rinse.
    IMG_4970.JPG
    IMG_4971.JPG
    IMG_4972.JPG

Washed the hood and rinsed again. The spot looked very degraded. Water would eventually sheet after about 90+ seconds, and the water did not permanently puddle up as if ALL protection was gone... but it was no longer up to Autopian standards:
    IMG_4983.JPG
    IMG_4984.JPG
    IMG_4986.JPG
    IMG_4988.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG

I wasn’t looking forward to applying 1-2 coats of TI-22 (24 hours cure) and then 1-2 coats of Enigma (24 hours cure)... Sooo, I decided to replenish protection in the area with Enigma QED, which is more of a SIO2 maintenance spray than a short term QD.
    IMG_4991.JPGIMG_4992.JPG

Beading was back after applying Enigma QED:
    IMG_4994.JPGIMG_4995.JPGIMG_4996.JPG

And all done with today’s wash:
    IMG_4998.JPGIMG_4999.JPGIMG_5001.JPGIMG_5002.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Update on Enigma QED spot correction 9/27/19:

I gave the beast a wash today. During post rinse I checked the beading/sheeting of the passenger side the hood (Enigma QED) compared to the drivers side (TI-22 + Enigma Wax from August). This was to see how QED holds up on its own.

The Enigma QED portion of the hood sheeted quite slow. It took 11 seconds from the time I turned the hose off to the time water fully sheeted off. In comparison, the normal Enigma Wax LSP side took 3 seconds.

I then re-applied QED on the QED area and the water sheeted faster (<2sec) than the base LSP.

Sorry, I didn’t take any pics, but take my word.

Therefore, I’ve determined that QED as a stand-alone was heavily degraded (I’ll guess down to 35%) after 21 days of pretty mild weather (other than a few days in the high 80s).

Post Thanks / Like

Update on Roof 9/27/19:

I haven’t been posting about the roof with many different test spots.
    IMG_0124.JPG

I did check the beading of the back today as I rinsed after washing. The following pictures are taken over a ~5 second timeframe after the hose turns off.
    Adjustments.JPGIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0112.JPGIMG_0114.JPGIMG_0115.JPG

- The right (passenger) side had Souveran topped on TI-22 and is holding on to water the longest (not a huge surprise.
    - To the left is TI-22 on top of Souveran on top of TI-22, which sheets a little faster but still pretty poor performance.
    - The middle is TI-22 alone which sheeted very nicely.
    - The left (drivers) side is Enigma on top of TI-22 which sheeted the fastest and beaded the best (still as good as new).

SWETM and I were wondering if the TI-22/Souveran/TI-22 panel might “lock in” the Souveran based on Angelwax’s description of optionally using TI-22 on TOP of waxes. The advantage being that one could lock in a poor longevity beauty wax and enjoy a warm glow for much longer than the wax can otherwise live.
    This appears not to be the case as the TI-22/Souveran/TI-22 section much more closely resembles the TI-22/Souveran section than the TI-22 solo section.

I would expect within a week or two that the sections performing poorly due to Souveran dying off will soon bead better once Souveran has fully failed, leaving the TI-22 as the remaining LSP. We shall soon see if theoretical = reality.

Stay tuned!
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Aah crap that the ti-22 didn`t work to lock it in. Was it good water behavior in the beginning of the Souverän/Ti-22 vs Ti-22/Souverän and was it on par with each other. IIRC the Ti-22 was more of a sheeting properties than a high contact angle and beading. Then it where degraded to a lower performance but still worked okay for a long time in that Italian dudes longterm testing. Will see if I can find those videos again LOL.

Man I`m getting stressed to do the winter prep on the cars in time for the winter. We have had a lot of rain these couple of late weeks. And when it where weather for doing something. I had to do the interior on both cars. When you neglect to do them regualary it takes a lot of time to do them. See if I`m able to do something this week or the weekend. Even if it`s a couple of panels at the time it`s something. But I have always been all or nothing sadly LOL.

Will be interesting to see how the Ti-22/Enigma Wax is holding up for you.

It was during the late summer last year I applyied the AW Enigma QED on the Kia. So not much of any rain. But I got around 3months from it and that`s on great performance from it. I got almost 2 months from the AW QED the year before. So it`s very much YMMV. 3weeks is not good for Enigma QED. I even got 4 weeks on a flat panel from the Enigma car soap LOL. Have you had the same experience before that you got a short longevity from Enigma QED?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    It was during the late summer last year I applyied the AW Enigma QED on the Kia. So not much of any rain. But I got around 3months from it and that`s on great performance from it. I got almost 2 months from the AW QED the year before. So it`s very much YMMV. 3weeks is not good for Enigma QED. I even got 4 weeks on a flat panel from the Enigma car soap LOL. Have you had the same experience before that you got a short longevity from Enigma QED?
    I was surprised how much performance was lost from Enigma QED after 3 weeks. It definitely could have lasted longer but performance was at the point that most Autopians would re-apply, which I did. I’ll see what happens on this new application.

Furthermore, Im considering topping half the car with Enigma QED tonight to compare Enigma QED as a topper on Enigma Wax vs. Enigma Wax as the top coat on the remaining half of the car.

It’s been very hard for me to not add any toppers for the last month, in order to track TI-22/Enigma combo by itself. I’m pretty anxious at this point, hence considering tipping half the car with Enigma QED.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL yeah that`s the hard part when doing some testing to not top it. But it`s better to top it if you want to have a long longevity from the base protection. Or at least when the performance from it has dropped so the topper makes a difference when it`s applyied. When you have the same product line. Most topper should be giving a higher performance from them in the short term over the base protection to be worth to apply them IMO. The synergy products can be that they don`t necessary get the higher performance layer from them but aid the base protection in it`s longevity from it.

I`m wondering about what to do with the TW ICE Seal N Shine and Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax testing I have going on. It`s been on for a month now with one wash on it. And has lost it`s top performance from them. The TW SNS holds up much better now when applyied in a better weather conditions. And on the dirty paint it had a much noticeble performance from it than the HCW. Then back to equal again after the wash. I have some trouble now when it`s getting colder and the heat systems in the homes and industies around me is on much more than before. They have and we use also wood pellets to getting fire to heat up the boiler. The sot from these when the wind comes from northeast lands on the parked Ford Focus. And combo this with the dew and the sot spots looks awefull after a couple of days. And I have also a little trouble to desolve these with the prewash foam and the car soaps I use. Have not been any difference in the LSP I have used either. The sot lands on the horizontall surfaces so have been thinking on doing waterless washes more often on the hood and the roof. The fastest LSP removal I see is when I need to be aggitate it more than useally. Aah just what`s messing with my testing for now. Maybe I test to do a waterless wash with EcH2O as I don`t think that it`s affecting the SNS and HCW that much.

And then Jon at The Forensic Detailing Channel on Youtube did a short video about a product that he was impressed with. During his testing with the spray on rinse off products he is doing now. And it`s the Turtle Wax Dry N Shine Rinse Wax which is based on the same technology as SNS. Have not seen such a product with carnuaba in it which I think is a little strange in how they works. So now I have the itch to test this out too LOL. Maybe apply it over the Gyeon Wet Coat that`s on the the vertical panels on the Focus. It`s reaching 3 months now and still performing great. So definitely a much stronger version of Gyeon Wet Coat they have released for 2019. I would say it`s a notch better performance from it than Carpro Hydro2 lite. Noticed right away after have been useing 2×1L bottles of Wet Coat before that the new version had a higher performance right away from the start. Like I was getting after 3-4 application of the older version with a couple of weeks apart. So I`m interested to apply the new version a couple of times with no more than a month apart to see if it`s builds up the performance from it as it used to do. Decisions decisions LOL

It`s fun to test out stuff but it`s hard when they have such a good longevity from them. And so many products that you want to test out LOL
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One potential variable that could have hurt the LSP more than usual is the Four Star Professional Series shampoo I had been washing with. I used this on my Acura too and my test with DG AW vs UQW has yielded some poor beading sooner than expected.

Just throwing it out there... but no proof and the tests shall resume.

Post Thanks / Like

Update 10/4/19

Washed today, but prior to putting soap on, I checked updated water behavior on the ceramic wax tested back panel and the roof.

The roof:
    IMG_0125.JPG

https://youtu.be/wss8aXdHrPE

Pics after video:
    IMG_0314.JPGIMG_0316.JPGIMG_0320.JPGIMG_0319.JPGIMG_0318.JPG

As expected, the left and middle are shearing/beading well. As we go to the right towards the two Souveran topped sections, the water wants to hold on to the roof more, especially the far right where Souveran was the last topping. Here’s two more spray downs in pictures to reiterate:
    IMG_0321.JPGIMG_0322.JPGIMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0328.JPGIMG_0329.JPGIMG_0330.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

10/4/19: Back panel

Video of the 4 test products:
    https://youtu.be/tRGO5ncaHX8

Synergy
    IMG_0267.JPGIMG_0269.JPG

Krystal
    IMG_0270.JPGIMG_0271.JPG

EcoShine Wax
    IMG_0272.JPGIMG_0273.JPG

Nano
    IMG_0274.JPGIMG_0275.JPG

My observations:
    1)Synergy still deflects fastest.
    2)Nano slightly behind Synergy now
    3&4) Krystal and EcoShine seem tied now. Krystal appears to be sheeting better now, rather than EcoShine sheeting worse (props to Krystal).

Tony reminded me that I totally forgot to check the Enigma Wax vs the test subjects on the back, top panel.
    As a reminder, I have 6+ week Enigma Wax on the drivers side (and within 2 inches left-adjacent to the back panel I reapplied Enigma Wax when the test subjects were applied). I have topped with Enigma QED on the passenger side on 9/28. Below post covers the QED testing:
    Angelwax Enigma QED (as topper)

From left to right - 6-week-Enigma vs. new Enigma vs. Synergy:
    Adjustments.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPGIMG_0296.JPGIMG_0297.JPGIMG_0298.JPGIMG_0295.JPG
    Synergy and new Enigma shed ASAP. 6 week Enigma is compromised a bit as one can tell by the layer of water on the left.

From left to right - Nano vs. Enigma QED
    Adjustments.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPGIMG_0291.JPGIMG_0293.JPG
    Nano and Enigma QED both reject water ASAP. Enigma QED, from what I’ve seen so far, has same performance as Enigma Wax, except it fades faster (significant performance decrease in 3 weeks, but more tests are on going).
    Likes Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack, SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My interest for wax is strictly for looks during summer. Which one is most visually appealing to you?

In winter gonna rock Cosmic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    My interest for wax is strictly for looks during summer. Which one is most visually appealing to you?

In winter gonna rock Cosmic.

Probably Synergy or Nano at the moment. I wish I put them side by side. The flakes seem to pop the most on the edges when in sunlight.

Enigma looks really nice too but I’m still getting used to it. The others are very glassy but also have a bit of a smooth, wet look. The Enigma seems a bit colder. Maybe Enigma is a pure ceramic wax with no carnauba, making the slight difference. Some may like the cool, crisp look more as it may be reminiscent of a true coating look.

In other words, it’s hard to say. The test panel is such small sections. I will add that Synergy also covers 1/3 of the front roof and it’s easier to see a slight wet/glossiness in the right lighting conditions there compared to the Enigma and especially IGL EcoShine that surround it.

I’m also considering trying a small tin of Angelwax Fifth Element because I am impressed with Angelwax as a whole. Durability/performance has noticeably took a small hit on the Enigma Wax after 6 weeks and QED after 3 weeks, but I feel as though the wax will continue to last even though the initial sheeting has slowed a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Has the Four Star car soap the same polycharger polymers as the Ultima Paint Guard Wash?

UPGW did take over it`s properties on the LSPs I have used it on. And often it`s a degrading one sadly as I really like it cause of it`s lubrication and cleaning ability from it. But since moved on from the UPGP and tried it on other LSPs a couple of times. I don`t use it on the SiO2 protection I useally have on the cars now. After a wash with Reset the LSP properties was revived to a higher water behavior than after the UPGW wash. So what`s in that definitely mess with the hydrophobic caractics of my LSP. Four Star and Ultima is IIRC close to each other products and maybe just a very little difference between them. For me it`s worth washing with car soaps that leaves nothing behind. As you get the question if it`s degrades the water behavior out of it. So I would buy or use if you have a car soap that leaves nothing behind to use while you are testing. To be sure that it don`t interfear with the different LSPs you are testing out. And I would not be surprised that you will notice such a car soap will revive the water behavior from some of your LSP that`s intact under the glossenhancers the soap leaving behind.

Did you use the Four Star car soap this wash too?

I don`t think that the Enigma Wax has carnuaba wax in it. But it`s organic wax in it as it`s a hybrid wax a blend with organic and synthetic waxes and ceramic infused which I think is a silicon gel or if it`s called a silica gel.

Very interesting to follow your testing and thanks for shareing your experience!

/ Tony

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information