Post Thanks / Like

Real Deal 150k Dollar 70 LS6 Chevelle SS

Something like this doesn`t come around very often. Had a good buddy of mine reach out to me regarding correcting some cars for his bosses collection. Most recently this real deal 70 Chevelle SS LS6 4 speed. This car was just purchased from Mecum auto auction for a 150k! It had gone under a 100k restoration and is pure textbook. With 30k on the odometer the original interior is immaculate. The black paint while nice definitely needed some attention to get it up to snuff with the rest of the car.

He has a couple other vehicles Ill be doing. Including a original 79 454 Chevy pickup with 5k miles on the clock. And he just ordered a brand new ZR1 Corvette.

Prep

Following Mike Phillips advice with classics, especially one of this nature I didn`t want to soak it with water. So AMMO Frothe waterless wash was used to gently lift the dust off of the exterior.

Correction- When I say this was one of the toughest most finickey paints to detail and finish out I am not exaggerating! The compounding stage was pretty straight forward. Rupes 21, BS Uro wool with Fast correcting cream leveled the paint nicely.

Finishing polish- This is where I started pulling my hair out! I tried all sorts of pads, finishing polishes and machines. And all were leaving micro marring. Along with that even with new towels I was getting towel marring. I was able to get it dialed in with my Rupes 21 Mark ll, BS yellow pad, M205. Then followed with Rupes Duetto, LC black CCS pad and Menzerna SF3800.

LSP- IGL Premier was used to top it off.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd, The Driver, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Real Deal 150k Dollar 70 LS6 Chevelle SS

Just curious does he own a local junk yard. I know (through a business acquaintance) local junk yard owner has an amazing chevy collection, tons of corvette special additions from every generation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Just curious does he own a local junk yard. I know (through a business acquaintance) local junk yard owner has an amazing chevy collection, tons of corvette special additions from every generation.
    No but he does own Mystic Paving in Medford Ma.

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job on such a rare beast. My literal dream car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work on an awesome muscle car!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m assuming that`s bc/cc paint. I`m curious as to why you felt the paint needed compounding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I`m assuming that`s bc/cc paint. I`m curious as to why you felt the paint needed compounding.
    This thing had sanding marks, scratches and holograms all over it. Something that a polish wasn`t going to get done.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job! I am unfamiliar with Mike`s advice on not soaking the car with water...Can you expand on that, very interested in learning something new!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Ferrari Man View Post
    Great Job! I am unfamiliar with Mike`s advice on not soaking the car with water...Can you expand on that, very interested in learning something new!
    So it`s for classic cars. Due to the fact that they tend to hold water in places and can cause corrosion in areas unseen.

Post Thanks / Like

Justins00ss:
    What DID you end up using for a microfiber towel to wipe off/remove the polishes that were used to avoid towel micro-marring??
    I am curious what NEW towels you used that did cause micro-marring during the polish removal??

I assume that this Chevelle was repainted at some time with an OEM-type single stage paint, but I wonder what the paint manufacturer and its specific name/type was used for the repaint.
    It`s just good info to know for future reference because of the "finicky-ness" of this specific paint color that you experienced.

I have not heard about NOT soaking a classic car for vehicle washing. I just assumed that you do not so this to this because it is a Chevy Chevelle and will shrink it into becoming a Nova! (OK, just kidding)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Justins00ss:
    What DID you end up using for a microfiber towel to wipe off/remove the polishes that were used to avoid towel micro-marring??
    I am curious what NEW towels you used that did cause micro-marring during the polish removal??

I assume that this Chevelle was repainted at some time with an OEM-type single stage paint, but I wonder what the paint manufacturer and its specific name/type was used for the repaint.
    It`s just good info to know for future reference because of the "finicky-ness" of this specific paint color that you experienced.

I have not heard about NOT soaking a classic car for vehicle washing. I just assumed that you do not so this to this because it is a Chevy Chevelle and will shrink it into becoming a Nova! (OK, just kidding)
    Over the years I`ve found that the 30pk of generic microfiber towels available at Walmart work best for removing finishing polishes, leveling coatings and coating prep. Even on soft paints like some Porsche`s etc.

This was painted 10 years with base/clear. Not sure of the paint systems used but it was on the softer side.

Here`s one of many links where Mike mentions about running water and classics.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml?highlight=W

Here`s the actual post

Waterless wash - As a professional courtesy I don`t use running water from a garden hose on classics, (restored or original) as it introduces water to places where rust can form. So I tend to use a waterless wash unless it`s a class where I need to teach washing techniques and the car for the class is a classic, (restored or original).

Thread Information