Post Thanks / Like

F350 coating maintenance/ Meguiars Iron Decon review!

Happy New Years everyone! Let 2019 be happy and successful!

So to close out 2018 I had the pleasure of heading out to my buddies shop to perform and coating maintenance service and interior detail. This F350 platinum I coated exactly a year ago and although he has washed it and kept up with it it was definitely in need of some decontamination.

And it just so happens I had Meguiars new iron decon waiting to be used.

First off I cleaned up the wheels and tires with my normal combo of Mckees foaming wheel cleaner gel and LATA.

Then I foamed it with Hyper wash and gave it a thorough wash before rinsing it off. The instructions on the Meguiars Iron Decon says to use on a dry surface so I went ahead and dried off the vehicle. Now if it wasn`t so dirty I would have skipped the initial wash but I wanted to remove all the surface grime first.

Next I loaded up some of the Meguiars Iron Decon in a cheep pump sprayer and began spraying.

No lie within seconds of it coming into contact it began working and working very well!

After letting it dwell I rinsed off the exterior with my pressure washer and it had removed the iron deposits without issues!

Next I continued my decon process with a light clay process with nanoskin fine grade towel and water spot removal with IGL Delete.

Paint was topped with IGL Premier as was the glass and trim.

Back to looking fresh!

Overall impressions of the Meguiars Iron Decon is that they did a great job and at a great price point.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Thanks trashmanssd, Stokdgs, JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: F350 coating maintenance/ Meguiars Iron Decon review!

Justin - how was the smell? Most iron removers have a bad sulfur smell to them.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Justin - how was the smell? Most iron removers have a bad sulfur smell to them.
    On par with the rest of them lol. At this point it doesn`t matter to me as long as it performs lol

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it works well!!! That really needed a decon!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Looks like it works well!!! That really needed a decon!
    Thanks bud! You ain`t kidding!

Post Thanks / Like

Justins00ss:
    I think you meant to say "Megs Hyper Wash" not "Hyper Dressing" as in the picture I see such a jug/bottle of that car soap for washing.

The pictured instructions seem counter-intuitive, as it says "DO NOT PRE-RINSE", yet is says to wash and clean paint first. I assume that this product works best without the dilution of water present on a surface, hence the drying of a washed surface is needed. Also this is a RTU (IE; Ready-To-Use) product out of the jug/bottle, not a concentrate that needs to be diluted in some ratio.

How much product, in ounces, did you use on this truck?? I only ask because the cost is about $80.00 for a gallon (128 fl. oz) and I am trying to determine the cost effectiveness of this Meg`s product per application compared to other similar products, as a truck with its large surface area would probably be a worst-case scenario. Also, what was the ambient outside temperature when this product was applied and is it temperature sensitive to its effectiveness?, IE, do cold temps affect how well it works for iron decontamination?.

Lastly, I assume that this product will remove/destroy ANY type of LSP on a surface when used and will require an application of some preferred LSP to a decontaminated surface to properly protect and maintain it.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Justins00ss:
    I think you meant to say "Megs Hyper Wash" not "Hyper Dressing" as in the picture I see such a jug/bottle of that car soap for washing.

The pictured instructions seem counter-intuitive, as it says "DO NOT PRE-RINSE", yet is says to wash and clean paint first. I assume that this product works best without the dilution of water present on a surface, hence the drying of a washed surface is needed. Also this is a RTU (IE; Ready-To-Use) product out of the jug/bottle, not a concentrate that needs to be diluted in some ratio.

How much product, in ounces, did you use on this truck?? I only ask because the cost is about $80.00 for a gallon (128 fl. oz) and I am trying to determine the cost effectiveness of this Meg`s product per application compared to other similar products, as a truck with its large surface area would probably be a worst-case scenario. Also, what was the ambient outside temperature when this product was applied and is it temperature sensitive to its effectiveness?, IE, do cold temps affect how well it works for iron decontamination?.

Lastly, I assume that this product will remove/destroy ANY type of LSP on a surface when used and will require an application of some preferred LSP to a decontaminated surface to properly protect and maintain it.

Good catch on the Hyper dressing vs Hyper wash!

If the vehicle isn`t too dirty I would have just gone right to the iron decon without washing but yes I have found most iron removers work best on a dry clean surface. This way the iron remover can attack the embedded deposits better rather than the looser surface stuff. It adds a little time on the front end by having to wash, rinse then do a quick dry. But saves time during the decontamination process.

Yes it`s a rtu product. Using the pump sprayer I probably ised a bit more than a normal trigger sprayer but it made it so much easier given the size of the vehicle. Amount used for this truck was probably in the 12-16oz range. And that`s taken into account the extra material used by using the pump sprayer.

I will say I got it for a good price shipped to my door for 74$ from another site. Basically got free shipping. As it retails for 69.99 through them.

That being said for its performance it`s a hell of a deal. I know ironx is well over 100$ and even with my discount IGL Iron is over 100$ per 5L. Needless to say I`m switching lol.

Temp outside that day was about 45F. I would say anything below 40 and you might get some issues. But it worked great this day.

As for lsp. That has a lot of variables. A lot of times with the coatings I install a good iron removal actually helps rejuvenate the coating. Now with others it may hurt them. No definite answer. On this truck it helped restore some of the properties but this had hard water spots from his irrigation system so I had to use a coating safe hard water spot remover then hit it with a IGL Premier coating topper.

Back to better. In fact he sent me a message a couple days after I was done. It had poured rain outside and he was thrilled the truck still looked awesome and was back to performing like it should.

Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Justins00ss:
    Was there THAT much iron on this truck in one year`s time since you last coated it?? Also, was it evident visibly on the white paint as brown specks or small dots?? I see ALOT of white vehicles with these brown dots/specks/streaks on them, especially on the rear trunk or hatch lid or lower side panels when closely examined.
    I ask because I ASSUME that this truck was decontaminated in some form when you initially coated it.

Which leads to the second question: What was the coating you used initially and how well did it hold up to this iron decontamination car-care chemical? I ask because you topped it with IGL Premier. Is this product a TRUE coating or just a coating maintenance/enhancing product??
    My REAL question is if there are coatings that withstand this iron decontamination product, I`d like to know what specific one`s they are (IE; manufacturer and name brand). Just remember, this question is coming from someone who has never used a coating and is a wax aficionado.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

My REAL question is if there are coatings that withstand this iron decontamination product, I`d like to know what specific one`s they are (IE; manufacturer and name brand). Just remember, this question is coming from someone who has never used a coating and is a wax aficionado.
    Unfortunately coatings are not contamination proof. If they were we would all use them. They become contaminated and will need a decontamination wash every now and then to remove some but not all the contamination that is on the coated surface.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Justins00ss:
    Was there THAT much iron on this truck in one year`s time since you last coated it?? Also, was it evident visibly on the white paint as brown specks or small dots?? I see ALOT of white vehicles with these brown dots/specks/streaks on them, especially on the rear trunk or hatch lid or lower side panels when closely examined.
    I ask because I ASSUME that this truck was decontaminated in some form when you initially coated it.

Which leads to the second question: What was the coating you used initially and how well did it hold up to this iron decontamination car-care chemical? I ask because you topped it with IGL Premier. Is this product a TRUE coating or just a coating maintenance/enhancing product??

Yes. In one years time being a daily driver in Mass during snow, salt and all weather conditions this is a normal level of contamination. Yes it was visible as brown specs. As for with standing a decon process it didn`t strip it. IGL Premier is a polysiloxane sealant/coating topper. It does a awesome job at rejuvenating the properties.

This truck was coated in IGL Kenzo premium 4 year coating.

Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Justins00ss:
    Thanks for taking the time to answering my MANY detailing-oriented questions concerning Megs Iron Decontamination product and its effects on coatings.

As a hobbyist, I use many of Megs Detail Line car-care products because of the reviews from Autopians, such as yourself, who have taken time and effect to post their experiences, opinions, and pictures using these products. I find Meg`s Detailing Line a cost-effective car-care chemical product offering for both hobbyist and professional detailers alike, and this new product is no exception to that sentimrnt.
    GB detailer

Thread Information