Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2017 Colorado and FK1000p.

Traded off the 2012 Camaro for this 2017 Colorado. Not quite as much fun but easier for me to get in and out of. Seats are not quite as comfortable after sitting in them for more than an hour. I know I will miss the car but I sure won`t miss the black color. It looked nice when it was clean but that would only last like 5 minutes. I got one of the two colors that was on the top of my list and the other was blue. I have owned bright red and did not want that again and am partial to the darker red.

Did a quick wipe down with DP rinseless wash. Was not going to spend anytime this fall polishing as I am just not up to the task even though I am on vacation. Once done with the wash and dry did some spot polishes on some noticeable marks by hand and got them looking better. Decided to use up some FK1000p and wished I would have went with something easier. Still putting it on too thick and was a bear to get off on a lot of areas. I did not do anything with the wheels, tires and bumpers.

I guess I got my workout and will likely be a little sore tomorrow. I can say it seems like there is a lot more acreage on this compared to the Camaro but at least I am done doing what I needed to do and got some protection on it. First time I have ever had to use a ladder and step stool to do roof and windshield.

2017 Colorado and FK1000p.-colorado3.jpg

2017 Colorado and FK1000p.-2017-colorado2.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dean.
    Likes Stokdgs, Nizmo, GearHead_1, SWETM, lloydrm liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Colorado and FK1000p.

Love the ZR2 trim. Nice color you got. But 42-47K for the ZR2 is full size money. That is a big change for you. Congrats!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking truck. I like the darker reds too. I know what you mean about the ladder thing. I have 2 trucks and a Highlander that you need something to get the roof and the windshield. I bought this per someone’s recommendation on here. It’s easier than the ladder/stool thing and safer.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...-55A/302159317

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Love the ZR2 trim. Nice color you got. But 42-47K for the ZR2 is full size money. That is a big change for you. Congrats!
    Thanks. It is a big change and this is the first 4X4 I have owned. Years ago owned a Ranger and Dakota both 2 wheel drive. I wished they still made the Dakota as I think that would be what I would have purchased. I wanted the Z71 package but they hit 33k and around 30k new was my threshold. I was researching Colorado Z71`s back in April/May and should have bought one then as they were discounted into the 28-29k range, about 8k off and now they are only about 3k off. Yeah the ZR2 is ridiculous on the price tag and so are most full sized when they get into high 40`s to 60k. I think that is too big of a pill to swallow.
    Dean.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. I too have become a real fan of the darker reds. Assuming Ford still uses their Ruby Red (Tri-Coat), it will be on my next new vehicle.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

skibik- Of course your thread title got my attention Looks nice.

You *must`ve* put it on really thick, I`ve simply never had any trouble buffing it off even when I experimented with really slathering it on. At least it`s good and protected now, so you won`t have to do it again for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

FK1000P, still holding its own in the world of coatings and spraying on quick coatings. The only reason that I don`t have it on my car is because I want to finish my bottle of Essence, first. Truck looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    Nice looking truck. I like the darker reds too. I know what you mean about the ladder thing. I have 2 trucks and a Highlander that you need something to get the roof and the windshield. I bought this per someone’s recommendation on here. It’s easier than the ladder/stool thing and safer.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...-55A/302159317

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can actually do that with the ladder I have but it would be a little too high once I stand on it. My desire for detailing has been very little the last couple years after fighting with the black Camaro keeping it clean so my need to spend more for tools to detail is pretty much nil. Thank you for the suggestion I really appreciate it.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Very nice. I too have become a real fan of the darker reds. Assuming Ford still uses their Ruby Red (Tri-Coat), it will be on my next new vehicle.
    I couldn`t find any deals on the Ruby color but I did have a blue(lightning blue I think its called) F150 I was going to look at but this one happened to be the first stop and after 4 hours driving I didn`t think I would get any better deal for my car so this was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    skibik- Of course your thread title got my attention Looks nice.

You *must`ve* put it on really thick, I`ve simply never had any trouble buffing it off even when I experimented with really slathering it on. At least it`s good and protected now, so you won`t have to do it again for a while.
    I put that in the title just for you. I didn`t think I put it on that thick but must have. Not sure if it makes a difference how long to leave it on but it was on for a close to well over an hour before I got around the whole vehicle. I haven`t used the stuff in at least 3 years since I had been using BlackFire Midnight Sun and Crystal Seal. I wanted something that would last since we are getting down to our last decent days and I had the time off so why not use the FK. I have had the same problem in the past. I tried to keep in mind to put it on thin but it seemed like if i didn`t have enough on the applicator it looked liked it was going on patchy like. Oh well it is done and will likely be next fall before i use it again. I have so many other easier things to use in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    FK1000P, still holding its own in the world of coatings and spraying on quick coatings. The only reason that I don`t have it on my car is because I want to finish my bottle of Essence, first. Truck looks good.
    I do like it for it longevity. It seems to stand up well to our winters here. I would guess I should make it towards the end of January before I see the effects of it disappear. It all depends on how much I wash it come winter. The other half dozen coatings(or more) that I have only last a couple months. I know there is likely other products that last as long or longer than FK does but with the amount of product I have I could likely go through a small dealership of vehicles and not run out I couldn`t see buying more.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it. Even though I don`t post too often anymore I still check it and read just about everyday.
    Dean.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know how people get by with the small platforms, much less a ladder! Man, that must be hard...

skibik- I wish I could come up with some "make it easy" suggestion for you, it really is just *that* easy for me...well, not Souveran-easy, but no tougher than other paste waxes.

Maybe try really priming the pad, so it`s uniformly loaded with product, and then try to squeeze/scrape as much as possible back out of it. I know what you mean about that "patchy"...feels wrong, looks like you didn`t get it on uniformly. Wonder if the application conditions factored it.

At any rate, I hope it lasts a goo long time. *I* would get another coat or two on there, but eh...that`s just me, and I don`t plan to reLSP for an awfully long time whereas you will be going back to other stuff by then.

TheMeanGreen- Yes indeed! The *only* diff I`ve discerned between FK1000P and the OptiCoat I`ve used was that the latter lasted longer at the cost of being *MUCH* for difficult to apply in some cases (not much more at all in others).

Not sure what I`ll do next time...I really do want a Lasts Indefinitely Coating for a few sets of wheels at some point, and/but if I have to redo a coating after just a couple years I`ll be [ticked] off but good.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: 2017 Colorado and FK1000p.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I don`t know how people get by with the small platforms, much less a ladder! Man, that must be hard...

skibik- I wish I could come up with some "make it easy" suggestion for you, it really is just *that* easy for me...well, not Souveran-easy, but no tougher than other paste waxes.

Maybe try really priming the pad, so it`s uniformly loaded with product, and then try to squeeze/scrape as much as possible back out of it. I know what you mean about that "patchy"...feels wrong, looks like you didn`t get it on uniformly. Wonder if the application conditions factored it.

At any rate, I hope it lasts a goo long time. *I* would get another coat or two on there, but eh...that`s just me, and I don`t plan to reLSP for an awfully long time whereas you will be going back to other stuff by then.

TheMeanGreen- Yes indeed! The *only* diff I`ve discerned between FK1000P and the OptiCoat I`ve used was that the latter lasted longer at the cost of being *MUCH* for difficult to apply in some cases (not much more at all in others).

Not sure what I`ll do next time...I really do want a Lasts Indefinitely Coating for a few sets of wheels at some point, and/but if I have to redo a coating after just a couple years I`ll be [ticked] off but good.
    The ladder thing is not for me but the step stool I used worked perfect with the doors open. I tried getting most of the roof from the box until I bumped my head on the garage door opener and I still couldn`t reach all the way across the roof from there.

As far as applying it the temp was high 60`s into the low 70`s in the garage so temp for me was perfect. Not too humid either so I would not think that was a factor. I just assume I am applying it way too heavy and I can`t seem to break that habit. I maybe should have broke out the GG6 and the red wax pad and maybe then I could have thinned it out more. It also didn`t help that by the time I got done applying it I think I was just slathering it on just to get it over with. Some areas come off decent and some come off hard. I would like to put another coat on before winter sets in but it surely isn`t going to happen by hand. I think my arms and joints are back to normal today at least.

I do like how well it sheds water as it started pouring while I was at the drive in for lunch. Ran over for some groceries and it had quit, the truck was all but dry by the time I got home. Works great on the glass also.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never tried it on glass. I left the fk on overnight one time. Next morning wiped it off and it came off pretty easy. And I’m not skimpy when I put it on either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    I’ve never tried it on glass. I left the fk on overnight one time. Next morning wiped it off and it came off pretty easy. And I’m not skimpy when I put it on either
    Works as good if not better than RainX(only one I have tried to compare it to). I almost had that plan to leave it on over night. should have to see if it was any different on removing.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    I maybe should have broke out the GG6 and the red wax pad and maybe then I could have thinned it out more.
    This is what I do with the several fleet cars that I maintain. It`s easy enough for me by hand, but the GG6 makes it so much easier. I get more uniform application and, as Accumulator pointed out, once the pad is primed properly, it`s a lot easier to put a nice thin coat on. Well, coat(s) - I do 2 coats. I get 5-6 months longevity with it.

Gordon

Post Thanks / Like

Gordonjuan. Do you cut a small piece out of the tin and rub on pad. I haven’t tried the GG6 yet for applying the fk. I want to (less elbow grease)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information