Post Thanks / Like

2002 Black Jaguar XK8 - 2 Stage Paint Correction

2002 Black Jaguar XK8

2 Stage Paint Correction

15 Hours of Labor Involved

I only provided the video this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9aUi6k_kYw

I would have like to have collected more pictures and videos, but with the extra time needed to get the car to a place I was happy with that did not happy. I promise my next one will be a little more exhaustive. Hope you enjoy!

Backstory
    A new client (nice guy) had contacted me a little over a year back about his weekend car, black 2002 Jaguar XK8. He inquires about the price for a “show car”. He says there is something missing, and he wants the paint to pop. During the vehicle inspection of the black car on a sunny day, I easily see the glaring issue. I tell him, his entire car has swirls and recommend a 2 stage correction package to adequately deal with this problem. He did not believe there were swirls, for the most part, in his paint. This was also in part, I suspect, why he was a little taken back by the price I quoted him. As he did research me.

In his trepidation he told me in more graphic detail about his previous experiences with more budget friendly auto detailers, as I was explaining the service needed to correct the issue and processes involved. He mentioned another detailer used a very high end wax, although he said it left him wanting more, he wanted to know what different about my wax. As I discussed paint correction, he asked if I was technically removing paint. He expressed his concern from a bad experience with a previously owned vehicle. He told me another detailer did a paint correction and the “paint never looked right since”. He was also a little puzzled when I told him how long this would take.

I did not hear from him for several months. Thinking he moved on, my seemingly failed effort to educate my client had become a distant memory. I recently received a message from him ready to book. He was adamant he wanted a service that would address the issue at hand.

Products Used

Polishes Used

Menzerna FG 400
    Rupes Medium Gel Compound
    Menzerna SF 3500

Rupes Duetto
    Porter Cable w/5inch backing plate

3M Automotive Masking Tape

Rupes Blue, Green, Yellow, White Pads
    Lake Country CCS Orange, White, Black Pads

Wolfgang Rinseless
    P21S Total Auto Wash mixed 1:10

Wolfgang Rinseless for clay lubricant
    Fine Clay Bar

Gtechniq Panel Wipe to remove polishing oils and final wipe

Wolfgang Liquid Seal (Last Step Process (LSP))

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (tires)

Takeaways

It is a commonly expressed heartache expressed, the challenges of polishing a black car. To those following for wisdom, I will say black is not some magically unique color. A black color system reveals more to the eye. The cream rises to the top. I am not immune to this! This was my most challenging experience performing a two stage correction. This is in part from the paint needing multiple test spots to appropriately correct and uncommon issues with wipe off. My number one suggestion as Mike Phillips says “work clean”. Most people focus on finding the right polish and pad combination in these situations. I did play around with a lot of combinations, but equally if not more beneficial was my decision to switch out my polish removal microfibers and pads more often.
    Likes Stokdgs, mjlinane liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2002 Black Jaguar XK8 - 2 Stage Paint Correction

Nice Job-- that was a lot of work
    If you dont mind me asking-- roughly what did you charge him??
    Thanks Rod73 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great clear reflection when you were done. It`s kinda sad that he didn`t think his car had swirls, and that previously he thought expensive wax was the answer. Glad he listened to you, and came back to you. Hopefully he now educates his friends, and they come see you too.
    Likes Rod73 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Rodney! Looks so much better now!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod -
    Beautiful work.. Lots of clarity and gloss..

My way of "educating" prospective Clients is to have them look at their paintwork in the sun, then walk over to my perfect clarity, glossy, Optimum coated Black Grand Cherokee, and see the difference for themselves.. It is always night and day..

Then, if they want to see what a perfect, just Detailed vehicle looks like, open the doors, look around, open the hood, see the clean engine..
    And this is a 9-year old Jeep...

Most people have no idea of the Detailer vocabulary, so visuals always seem to help them most..

Regarding wax, I always tell them that wax attracts dirt, is full of oils to make it look really shiny, and then shortly, goes away.. Is that what you want?

Glad this guy came back ! Assume he had to go out and waste a lot of time, learning the hard way..

Great job !!
    Dan F
    Likes Rod73 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    Nice Job-- that was a lot of work
    If you dont mind me asking-- roughly what did you charge him??
    Generally I will keep pricing private. You can say he was doubly fortunate, as I charged him the rate I quoted him a year prior $270. Although I have raised my pricing since I felt it was appropriate in this case to be a little compassionate. That also meant continuing a little further to achieve a certain result I was aiming for that I would have felt good about. I also strongly suspect this was the most he ever spent on a detail by far, based upon stories of his previous experiences. He also tipped me quite well and was very happy with the results.
    Likes Coleroad, Stokdgs, re-tired, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Great clear reflection when you were done. It`s kinda sad that he didn`t think his car had swirls, and that previously he thought expensive wax was the answer. Glad he listened to you, and came back to you. Hopefully he now educates his friends, and they come see you too.
    Painful yes, but kind of the reality I with the Average Joe. The education process did feel like a marathon more than a sprint of establishing a rapport. As I can tell he was opening up more to me, I told him exactly what happened with his other detailer`s correction, why his car didn`t look the same. I pulled my light on a spot, "you see that!" to get him to see what I meant. Several conversations in, it still didn`t fully hit him how much time doing it right takes until "yes still polishing".
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    Generally I will keep pricing private. You can say he was doubly fortunate, as I charged him the rate I quoted him a year prior $270. Although I have raised my pricing since I felt it was appropriate in this case to be a little compassionate. That also meant continuing a little further to achieve a certain result I was aiming for that I would have felt good about. I also strongly suspect this was the most he ever spent on a detail by far, based upon stories of his previous experiences. He also tipped me quite well and was very happy with the results.
    Doubly fortunate to say the least
    Double is what it should have been
    Likes Rod73, CrazyChipmunk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Nicely done Rodney! Looks so much better now!
    Thank you Scott for your kind words!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Rod -
    Beautiful work.. Lots of clarity and gloss..

My way of "educating" prospective Clients is to have them look at their paintwork in the sun, then walk over to my perfect clarity, glossy, Optimum coated Black Grand Cherokee, and see the difference for themselves.. It is always night and day..

Then, if they want to see what a perfect, just Detailed vehicle looks like, open the doors, look around, open the hood, see the clean engine..
    And this is a 9-year old Jeep...

Most people have no idea of the Detailer vocabulary, so visuals always seem to help them most..

Regarding wax, I always tell them that wax attracts dirt, is full of oils to make it look really shiny, and then shortly, goes away.. Is that what you want?

Glad this guy came back ! Assume he had to go out and waste a lot of time, learning the hard way..

Great job !!
    Dan F
    Thank you sir! Still room for improvement as a detailer and in selling myself. You made some good points. A lot of times either you look at is not everyone is my client and some just need the gift of learning the learning the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

That is one thing that I noticed about the PA high gloss-- It does not attract / gather dust like anything else I have ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    That is one thing that I noticed about the PA high gloss-- It does not attract / gather dust like anything else I have ever used.
    I do feel like I need try and get on the Polish Angel bandwagon with all of the great things I am hearing about the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    I do feel like I need try and get on the Polish Angel bandwagon with all of the great things I am hearing about the line.
    So far the only one that I am impressed with is the high gloss- The hydrophobic action and the fact that in my own exp. my car does not attract as much dust-- now its not dust free--- just WAY WAY less dust
    There are a couple of their products that i did not like and were a total-- and I mean total waste of time and money.

I just got a couple more of their products and hope to use them after love bug season

Thread Information