Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re do of a Lexus thanks to the dealer

Great work bringing it back! Hopefully the dealership won`t muck it up again. I`d imagine it can`t handle too many more full corrections from a paint thickness perspective?
    I have had the same issue with my car and the dealership with washing. Request them 10 times not to wash it, they put it on the WO, and it still comes out washed and not properly dried lol. And I have a tag that says please do not wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Great work bringing it back! Hopefully the dealership won`t muck it up again. I`d imagine it can`t handle too many more full corrections from a paint thickness perspective?
    I have had the same issue with my car and the dealership with washing. Request them 10 times not to wash it, they put it on the WO, and it still comes out washed and not properly dried lol. And I have a tag that says please do not wash.
    The work order is useless, the porters don`t read that. Where is your tag? I put something on my dash and on the instrument cluster that says do not wash in english and spanish.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! It`s amazing how costly a little carelessness can be.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    All that damage was after ONE wash? My goodness.......................................... ...............
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Those may have been relatively clean.. I have seen some of the dealer brushes used for car washes around here
    Are you sure it is a brush? When I lived in Europe the "detail" department of our local BMW dealer used what looked like a small push broom sitting in a wash bucket of nasty gray water. I didn`t know half of what I know now, and it still made me cringe.
    Likes grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Yeah it’s brushed, I know the dealership supply guy. He said they won’t replace brushes until the are down to about an inch long!

Post Thanks / Like

If a truly experienced Autopian went into that Lexus dealership with a soft boar`s hair brush and buckets with grit guards, a Metro dryer, and some TRC Twister drying microfiber towels and showed the detailing department how to "properly" wash a vehicle with soft paint, would they listen? Heck, even a "lot person" who was hired to this job tried to show detailing the department manager that this is how to avoid this washing problem as seen above, I can bet the lot person would get fired. I will not ask what you charged for this "correction", but would venture to guess that its about "sizeable" amount of the price of purchase of the above mentioned wash equipment. "Penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind, not to mention a loss of a customer`s trust and respect for the dealership. But I digress...
    One thing is for sure as has been noted in several posts in this forum over the (many) years I have been a member: many of you reading this post make a (good) living fixing dealer mistakes of this type.
    GB detailer
    Likes grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know how it is where you live, but in my area they all use outside contractors. It is in fact one company in my area. They charge 40 a car and that’s all for the entire time the car is on the lot. If they do hundreds of cars a day and only have to pay for a few re do Cars, they still make a ton of money. I charged $450 to wash and correct the car. That didn’t even make them flinch!

Post Thanks / Like

I know the feeling. Took my CTS to the dealer for scheduled maintenance two days after correcting and protecting the typical soft clear finish on these cars. Gave a speech to the writer, "DO NOT WASH". Yep, they ruined my work. Great job fixing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I don’t know how it is where you live, but in my area they all use outside contractors. It is in fact one company in my area. They charge 40 a car and that’s all for the entire time the car is on the lot. If they do hundreds of cars a day and only have to pay for a few re do Cars, they still make a ton of money. I charged $450 to wash and correct the car. That didn’t even make them flinch!
    I had hunches regarding about how it was handled in my area, but didn`t have confirmation until I saw and job add posted this week in my local Cars and Coffee FB group. A local exotic car dealership (Ferrari, Lambo, etc), was looking for a "Porter/Detailer".

I don`t find myself in that type of dealership, but over the last few years I`ve noticed the people "detailing" the vehicles are the same ones who drive the customer shuttles, make parts/tire runs for the service departments, shuffle vehicles around the lot, and all the other menial grunt labor that makes a dealership function.

Vehicle delivery for a customer is a trip through an on-site tunnel car wash at best, and worst, a personal wash with a dirty brush and dried with a shop towel followed up with a shot of spray wax. Routine washes are simply a good blast with a pressure washer wherever they sit, or maybe a trip through the tunnel when they move them around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information