Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tesla

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Dan,
    That is unfortunately, the truth..
    As far back as I can remember - heck - over 15 years ago, there were Ferrari`s coming in all marked up and even a certain Detailer who used to work at Autopia corrected many of them..
    Dan F
    I wonder how much of that is due to the fact that regular car dealerships just don`t touch cars until they are sold. Most around the DC area now have the automated washes with the long fuzzy matts that look like blinds. That said things are improving, slowly, but improving. I had both of my recent cars washed (with some specific instruction) as I wanted to find any issues before I left. No DISO for me. I noticed my Nissan quality survey asked about the paint condition.... and gasp... had the world swirls in the question!

The expensive brands seem to try to keep the cars shiny, especially in the showroom. No dealer is going out and hiring the best detailing guy, they hire marginally acceptable and cheap. Then they hand him a old rotary and a wool pad.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most dealerships in my area use outside people. Low bid process.

Post Thanks / Like

I work on Tesla`s every day, and i`d never let it leave in that condition. If that`s how it looked when he received his brand new vehicle then there is an issue. Any idea what location he picked up his vehicle from?
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I wonder how much of that is due to the fact that regular car dealerships just don`t touch cars until they are sold. Most around the DC area now have the automated washes with the long fuzzy matts that look like blinds. That said things are improving, slowly, but improving. I had both of my recent cars washed (with some specific instruction) as I wanted to find any issues before I left. No DISO for me. I noticed my Nissan quality survey asked about the paint condition.... and gasp... had the world swirls in the question!

The expensive brands seem to try to keep the cars shiny, especially in the showroom. No dealer is going out and hiring the best detailing guy, they hire marginally acceptable and cheap. Then they hand him a old rotary and a wool pad.
    Dan,

It`s probably because the most expensive cars out there are terrifying to anyone who has no idea how to Detail the paint on one in the first place. So we will just keep spraying it with some QD and use those dirty scratchy yellow microfibers from Costco, etc...

Notice how you will never see great lighting in Showrooms ?? Don`t want to show you the scratches already in there from the constant wiping..

And then the Dealer is again, still caught in that 40`s-50`s idea to just slap some Filler-Up-Glaze on it with an improperly used Rotary, the pad on an angle to go faster, (Swirl-O-Matic Mode), pads never cleaned except with a screwdriver edge, and you only have 2 hours to complete the entire thing, inside and out..

Hopefully, some Dealers are trying to improve this area, (as in your experience with that Nissan place) but if so they must be few and far between..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

He has written letters, I have offered my services to teach at no charge and they refuse. I’ve seen them from every dealer in Maryland like that.
    Likes Mr. Slick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hopefully, some Dealers are trying to improve this area, (as in your experience with that Nissan place) but if so they must be few and far between..
    Dan F
    FWIW, the survey that asked about swirls was from Nissan corporate. I was shocked they even knew what one was!

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding result! Yes, it`s a shame that they deliver a vehicle in that condition. I remember the old "fill-n-glaze" days of the past...your car looked PERFECT untill the second wash....................................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I did not find that to be the case, I think they just are not concerned to do proper work. It’s not as though they are high volume dealerships. My client complained and was told he paid for technology not fit and finish. I found the same complaint was found frequently on the Tesla forums.
    REALLY?!! Then again, I`ve seen pictures/posts in this forum of NEW delivery Ferrari`s from dealers that where less-than customer acceptable. Guess it really IS true: Sometimes you do not get what you paid for.
    Anyway, I does offer an opportunity for highly skilled (truly) professional (and some select hobbyists!) detailers to provide "discriminating owners" who want that perfect looking vehicle with that service for a (profitable) fee and I have no qualms about the prices that some of them charge for the workmanship that they do that few dealerships care (or can) to provide. It`s a good business for many of you. Besides, when a "discriminating owner" is spending BIG bucks on a vehicle, that detailing charge can be considered the "cost of ownership".

Like my father always told me; "You want to run with the big dogs, you gotta pay like the big dogs."
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`m wondering if that wasn`t paraphrased. That aside, vehicle cost and paint quality seem to have little in common. VWs are some of the cheapest cars on the road yet they have amazing quality paint for their price point. Also pretty incredible rust proofing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information