McKee`s 37 Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

1200 HP Alpha 12 #38of50 Midnight Purple GT-R Detail | McKee`s 37 Sio2 Paint Coating

I am a HUGE fan of Nissan, I have been since I was a teenager, From 350z`s, 370z, 240sx, 300zx, Datsun, Skyline R32,R33,R34, Silvia, GT-R, G35, G37, I am what you call a Nissan fanboy!

My dream car is a Nissan GT-R, So anytime I have the pleasure of detailing one I always have extra joy during the detailing process.

The owner of this car came into the shop and told me that he is interested in getting his Nissan GT-R polished, I told him about all the GT-R`s I have polished before. He then started explaining that his GT-R isnt your "ordinary" GT-R I sat there anxiously waiting his explanation.

He told me that the color of his GT-R is special and there are only a total of 50 with this color, I already knew IT WAS Nissan`s famous flagship Skyline color, "Midnight Purple"

Not only is a Nissan GT-R my dream car, Midnight purple just so happens to be the color I want it in!

He seen the instant look of intrigue on my face, He also told me it features a Alpha 12 Package giving it an astounding 1200HP!

My client was reluctant to hire any detailer to touch his baby, He was really concerned about someone with inexperience ruining the color. After speaking with him, Showing him pictures of all my work. He then scheduled a consultation.

When he Pulled outside the Trademark Garage, He did not have to call or knock, I heard him! I opened the door to a 1200hp Midnight Purple Godzilla!

Upon inspection the car was not in terrible condition, It has your typical wash damage, It was light to moderate. With all my experience polishing GT-R`s I was pretty sure that Fast Polish and a Lake Country Orange HDO Polishing Pad would get this beauty flawless.

Polishing Stages

My prediction was correct, With buffing cycle, of slow arm movement, Fast Polish was leaving the paint FLAWLESS!

Here the paint looks like a root beer/brown color, Midnight purple has a color shift paint job, In some angels, it will look black, most angels, dark metallic purple, and if you hit it right it will shift into a root beer brown.

You can really see that purple POP in this photo.

Coating Stages

After the paint was polished to perfection, The owner wisely chose to protect the perfection with McKee`s 37 new Sio2 Paint Coating.

I like to dab the area I am going to work with product, For even coverage.

Work the product evenly to COAT the paint.

Waiting for the product to adhere to the paint, So I can buff it off!

BOOM, after I massaged the coating in the paint, It is almost instantly ready to buff off.

it is now time to buff off!

For the coating removal process, I always use 2 towels of different color, One towel for the first buff, and another for that last and final buff to ensure no high spots.

Here is my 2nd final buff towel, I like using a shorter nap towel to remove the excess, They are more effective at removing the coating without long fibers dragging on the paint, Increasing the chance of streaking.

At this point I was unsure of I was wiping off the Coating or my drool.

The Results

The car was all done, I scheduled for my client to pick up his GT-R @ AutoGeek`s Cars & Coffee, I could not think of a better way to reveal Godzilla. It was a huge hit at the show, Everybody kept circling around it like sharks, Asking questions while I was prepping it for pick up.

Sun Shots

When the owner pulled it out and did a 360 around the car, He could not stop smiling.

I have had the luxury of detailing many fine vehicles, exotics, classics, show cars, However this is by far my most favorite detail to date, I honestly enjoyed every single moment of this detail. The owner treated me for a ride, And Words can not describe how insanely fast this Godzilla really is, 0-60 in under 2 Seconds, 0-130 In Under 4. I was seriously scared and excited all at the same time.

Thats all folks!

Product List:

McKee`s 37 Sio2 Paint Coating
    Fast Polish
    Orange Lake Country HDO Pad
    N914

- Joe Metlow
    Next Level Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1200 HP Alpha 12 #38of50 Midnight Purple GT-R Detail | McKee`s 37 Sio2 Paint Coating

Great work and thanks for your review on such an awesome ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1200 HP Alpha 12 #38of50 Midnight Purple GT-R Detail | McKee`s 37 Sio2 Paint Coating

Great job. Love that color. How long does the coating last?

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, just did a Ronin myself... it was the black edition in metalic black!

Personally I want a Midnight purple R34. It`s one of my all time faves.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe Metlow:
    Congrats on the detailing workmanship of this specially modified Nissan GT-R. Pictures do not do it justice!

Some questions:
    What specific polishing machine(s) did you use for this detail?
    Can you identify/name the specific microfiber by manufacturer and towel name/type you used to for this coating wipe-off? Seems you have developed a very specific methodology for this coating and the microfiber types are a key component to doing so! And are these towels available through the McKee`s37 website??
    GB detailer

McKee`s 37 Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Great work and thanks for your review on such an awesome ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by jtford95 View Post
    Great job. Love that color. How long does the coating last?
    Thanks JT! McKee`s 37 says 2 years, But that is a "mild" claim, The coating is the real deal and is designed to go the long haul!

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Great job, just did a Ronin myself... it was the black edition in metalic black!

Personally I want a Midnight purple R34. It`s one of my all time faves.
    I am right with you on wanting a Midnight Purple R34, The thought of it makes me drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Joe Metlow:
    Congrats on the detailing workmanship of this specially modified Nissan GT-R. Pictures do not do it justice!

Some questions:
    What specific polishing machine(s) did you use for this detail?
    Can you identify/name the specific microfiber by manufacturer and towel name/type you used to for this coating wipe-off? Seems you have developed a very specific methodology for this coating and the microfiber types are a key component to doing so! And are these towels available through the McKee`s37 website??
    Thank You for the kind words!

I prefer short nap towels when removing coatings, On higher GSM towels the long fibers have a "dragging effect" on the paint, And this can increase smearing/streaking. A short nap has more "bite" and instantly removes the coating.

For the 1st towel, I use a micro suede towel, for the 2nd I used a 320-350 GSM Short nap towel. If you do not have access to a micro suede towel you can use 2 of the 350 GSM short nap towel.

the purple towel I used is included in the McKee`s 37 Coating Kit on the website.

I used a Flex XFE7 with a 6.5 Inch Lake Country Orange HDO Polishing Pad.
    Speed 5.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like to dab the area I am going to work with product, For even coverage.
    Interesting...might have to give this tip a try next time I apply a coating that would likely lend itself well to this method.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s one beautiful beast. Nice work. I just started dabbing the coating as well. Different coating, but it goes on nice and thick and that helps keep it even as you mentioned.

Thread Information