Post Thanks / Like

2000 Camaro SS and C.Quartz Professional

Have always had a soft spot for these cars. They are not the best handling, most powerful, or best looking, but compared to the latest gen Camaros... they are significantly lighter, respond very well to bolt ons, and have less gadgets and crap on the interior.

This 2000 SS T-56 car had less than 70k on it and mostly stock except for LS6 intake.

The owner was a very reasonable guy who recently purchased it and wanted of balance of result/ price. A two-step machine polishing process with C.Quartz Professional over top fit the bill perfectly. Extra attention was paid to the rear sail panel and hood. Only portion of the vehicle that was not attended to was the headlamps of which the owner had located some NOS OEM units to replace existing after the detail.

Some compound dust remains after some intense compounding and polishing, prior to coating.

After compounding, this passenger fender looks better. Not perfect but better.

Maring on hood. There were some sanding marks from who knows what happened. Almost like someone took an electric palm
    sander made for wood working and used it to remove whatever was there. All outer profiles of sanding damage was in a square shape.

Above, I could hardly capture the deep defects between the body lines on the hood and that was with a 35mm 1.4 lense.
    Sanding marks here as well.

Deep damage was located on upper portion of hood below cowl. 3" 3000 grit with interface pad on a pueumatic sander to
    address damaged area.

More sanding here. Same 3000 grit set up. There were sanding marks to the edges of the hood... and I had to get them out.

After wool/ rotary and Rupes 17/ MF

Previously sanded area and polished with 3-steps. Still one or two deep defects left here.

Hood is looking crisp after coating and prior to Reload application.

Former Pro, Now Enthusiast
    Thanks Stokdgs, MattPersman thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2000 Camaro SS and C.Quartz Professional

Beautiful work, Gabe !
    Was that hood repainted, and that`s how the paint was damaged ?
    The rest of the car original paint ?
    Awesome, clear, glossy, result - love it..
    This Camaro is the ONLY one in that area that looks that good !

Killer ceiling lights in your shop and love the side wall lighting too..
    Thanks for all that hard work and taking the time to post this up for us..
    DanF
    Likes Dellinger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking Camaro. Very well done. I like the SS hood, very nice lines. You did a great job making it look like new!

<<<You are spot on about the f-bodies not handling well. I also agree they are not the most attractive styling. The LS is a great engine, but in stock form it is adequate at best.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well done!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Nice looking Camaro. Very well done. I like the SS hood, very nice lines. You did a great job making it look like new!

<<<You are spot on about the f-bodies not handling well. I also agree they are not the most attractive styling. The LS is a great engine, but in stock form it is adequate at best.

Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Beautiful work, Gabe !
    Was that hood repainted, and that`s how the paint was damaged ?
    The rest of the car original paint ?
    Awesome, clear, glossy, result - love it..
    This Camaro is the ONLY one in that area that looks that good !

Killer ceiling lights in your shop and love the side wall lighting too..
    Thanks for all that hard work and taking the time to post this up for us..
    DanF
    Dan, I don`t think this will be the best looking 4th gen in the area but I appreciate the sentiment. If that hood was repainted... I would be very surprised. Color matched in various lighting. Texture and spray pattern looked specific across the car. The actual sheet metal panels measure normal readings 125- 150 microns. I have no idea why sanding marks were there on the hood but the new owner said the previous owner had it detailed prior to sale. Still doesn`t mean it wasn`t repainted but if it was... the shop doing the work did a phenomenal job (as I don`t expect body shops to be perfect on finishing work because that is not what they are paid to do.)

And yes my lights are nice to an extent. Some render too bright and they really are not too useful other than final inspection when all are on.

Thank you for the kind words though, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Very well done!
    Thank you, Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! It looks wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, very cool...you sure aren`t messing around...that`s some seriously meticulous work. Heck, I`m too scared to even use a wool pad on anything much less wet sanding.

That Gen F-body with the LS1 is actually one of my favorite styles...although I have heard that changing the spark plugs is an absolute nightmare.

Also like the Camaro 3rd Gens looks...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Great work! It looks wonderful!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Wow, very cool...you sure aren`t messing around...that`s some seriously meticulous work. Heck, I`m too scared to even use a wool pad on anything much less wet sanding.

That Gen F-body with the LS1 is actually one of my favorite styles...although I have heard that changing the spark plugs is an absolute nightmare.

Also like the Camaro 3rd Gens looks...
    Don`t think like that, BudgetPlan. You should try it on a scrap panel. 3000 is really nothing crazy. If it was 1000 or 1500 then we are removing some significant material. When sanding... you don`t have to worry about heat. Wool pad.... along the same lines... less heat than MF or a foam pad. Heat is your enemy when working with paint.

Yes, the spark plugs look like quite the chore.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. It came out great. I agree that they are not the best handling. Which is why I swapped out the majority of the suspension of my 02 SS. They are fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Only one plug requires a little bit of work. Other than that it is not bad.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Brings me back 20 years. I️ night one of these new in 1998. Mine was red and an a4. Things were sweet cause they were roughly 1000 lbs less than the new ones although 100 hp shy of the new ones too so it balanced out.

Remember that hood wasn’t painted by Chevy but rather SLP at the time. I️ think the rear spoiler thing was as well.

That being said. Sweet car. Would like to have one some day again but good examples are pretty far and few between and even the rough ones are probably twice as much money as they should be.

Great work and thanks for sharing car looks new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice job. It came out great. I agree that they are not the best handling. Which is why I swapped out the majority of the suspension of my 02 SS. They are fun to drive. Only one plug requires a little bit of work. Other than that it is not bad.
    Thanks, GUZ! Maybe I will run into you next year at SEMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Brings me back 20 years. I️ night one of these new in 1998. Mine was red and an a4. Things were sweet cause they were roughly 1000 lbs less than the new ones although 100 hp shy of the new ones too so it balanced out. Remember that hood wasn’t painted by Chevy but rather SLP at the time. I️ think the rear spoiler thing was as well. That being said. Sweet car. Would like to have one some day again but good examples are pretty far and few between and even the rough ones are probably twice as much money as they should be. Great work and thanks for sharing car looks new Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you, Matt. Very interesting regarding the SLP work. I knew they modded the Z28 to the SS but figured GM did the rear spoiler and hood. That`s gotta be the sanding mark problem that existed if SLP did the hood and rear spoiler. (Although the spoiler was good.) God, the hood was really poor. I could not really capture it with my $600 camera and $500 lens, shooting in all kinds of angles and light setups and in manual. Long-story-short, that hood was poorly done in the QC. Texture and color matched really well... really well. But the machine sanding marks were horrid and very dull on the sides of the scoop. Very butt puckering on the scoop to be straightforward about the affair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dellinger View Post
    Have always had a soft spot for these cars. They are not the best handling, most powerful, or best looking, but compared to the latest gen Camaros... they are significantly lighter, respond very well to bolt ons, and have less gadgets and crap on the interior.
    Hey now, don`t be dissin` on my 5th Gen In all seriousness though, the car looks better than new. Excellent job!
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Thread Information