Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)

Hey Autopia Fam

Firstly, thanks for reading and secondly I apologize about the long write up. Please feel free to skip forward I won`t take offense.

Background

This Nissan 350z belongs to someone I work with. We got to talking a month ago about cars and he mentioned his show car. He started talking about detailing it (he did not know I did detailing at this point) and was saying how he had just bought a clay kit but was nervous about using it. Well there I went on about asking him about the car and how he details it today etc. and then I started going on about proper detailing methods and claying, polishing etc. I told him to bring his car by sometime and I could help him with the wash and decontamination and show him how to take care of the car. I did not hear from him for for a while then last week he came over to my desk and said he had a show coming up and if I could work on the car. Hell yah I never turn down a detail job, unless its a really horrible interior lol. Anyway, we talked a bit more and I talked to him about a minor paint correction since he said the car is barely driven, mostly parked in the garage and he trailers it to shows (later come to find out its an open trailer lol). He was getting it ready for a show in Charlotte on the 26th so we booked it for this weekend.

Some challenges

This was a challenging paint correction because the panels just behaved different with my initial combo which worked really well on the front driver fender - Sonax Perfect Finish and Rupes yellow pad. That combo didnt cut too well on the hood so I tried s20 black with blue scholl pad. No bueno, left haze which is odd because s20 always gives me a nice cut and great finish. Then I decided whatever I did I was going to finish with CarPro Essence on gloss pad on the entire car just to give it that extra. At some point, I think the driver side fender perfect finish again wasn`t giving me a good finish, too many swirls remained compared to other panels I finished. so I switched to Sonax Cut and Finish and the Rupes yellow pad to try, good but I thought it could be better. Then I tried it with a boss orange, better correction. Nice! Then the door. Same combo no bueno! I was not getting the same cut and finish ha. The hell is going on! Ok more aggressive - Rupes Blue Pad and Cut and Finish - There it is! Finally. This combo thankfully worked on the rest of the car! In all honesty looking back I should have just hit the entire car with FCC or similar and finished up with CP Essence. Live and learn. BTW Sonax Cut and Finish. Awesome product! Will definitely be one of my go to one step products from now on. A little goes a long way, tons of working time, literally no dusting, and easy to wipe off.

Another challenging part was the amount of sanding marks left by the body shops so close to the panel edges. I had to be careful and took my time with the ibrid but I was not able to remove them in some instances. Lots of edge work was done with time due to the curvy panels.

I apologize about the crazy amount of writing. If you read it I appreciate it. On to the good stuff:

Products/ Tools Used

Wheels/ Exhaust tips-
    Iron X and CG Citrus WG in the bucket - Assortment of wheel whoolies, dedicated mitt, and dedicated brush
    Chrome lips polished with Mckees 37 Fast Metal Polish
    Exhaust tips polished with Fast Metal Polish and #0000 steel wool

Paintwork -
    Foam presoak with PB Super Slick and Foam
    Megs Hyperwash with 2BM
    Gyeon Wash Mitt and second MF wash mitt for lower panels
    Assortment of brushes and Megs APC 4:1
    Decontamination - Iron X and Tarminator, Clay - Griots Garage Paint Clay and Nano Skin pad on the PC with Nanoskin Glide as lube. It needed two round of clay and took roughly 2 hours just to clay the car fully to remove the contaminants.
    Paint correction - Assortment of Pads and Polishes - Sonax Perfect Finish, Sonax Cut and Finish, CarPro Essence, Rupes Yellow Pad, Rupes Blue Pad, Boss Orange Pad, Boss White Pad, CP Gloss Pads, BnS Urofiber pads. All in an assortment of sizes.
    Rupes LHR21 MK2 (W/ Kamikaze Beast Backing Plate), Boss G15, but mostly the Rupes LHR75 and Ibrid Nano 12mm DA mode
    LSP - Polish Angel Master Sealant followed by AngelWax Desirable Paste Wax
    Headlights/ Taillights polished with McKees AIO headlight polish and purple wool pads
    Kamikaze Door/ Engine Props (These are really amazing tools)
    Assortment of lighting - Scangrip sunmatch, Rupes pen light, LED lights.

LSP -
    Polish Angel Master Sealant
    AngelWax Desirable Paste Wax
    Car as delivered:

Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_084946.jpg
    Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_085100.jpg
    Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_085051.jpg
    Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_085015.jpg

Here is a nice relaxing video of the foam dripping off the car lol
    https://youtu.be/F3mC6QwykPM

Once the car was cleaned and dried I inspected the paint. Wash marring, Holograms and sanding marks.

Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_105436.jpg

Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_105512.jpg
    Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_203446.jpg

Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_213219.jpg

Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_213228.jpg

Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)-20170819_213346.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)

A few finished panel shots:

20170820_015107.jpg

20170819_215059.jpg

20170820_132605.jpg

20170819_164952.jpg

20170819_210758.jpg

Exhaust Tips/ Wheels Polished

20170820_224845.jpg

20170820_165148.jpg

Sun check prior to LSP:
    https://youtu.be/QviRfBramYk

PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable. I honestly had no idea how it would look but thought what the heck lets get a little crazy. Let the PA cure for 2 hours then applied the Desirable.
    20170820_145311.jpg

I forgot to mention its on Air.

20170820_140514.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nissasn 350z - Custom Paint Job - Minor Correction - PA Master Sealant and AngelWax Desirable :)

Final Video. It was my first attempt at editing a video like this so I apologize in advance.
    https://youtu.be/d0Oius00-DU

Thanks for looking!

EDIT:

Kamikaze door/ engine props for anyone who is curious:
    20170819_215810.jpg
    20170819_151302.jpg
    Likes 512detail, trashmanssd, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why some videos are embedding in the thread and some are just a link out. That is annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post
    Thanks RaydiantDetail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beautifully done.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! Did the owner happen to say what the color was? I really like it and it reminds me of the Roush Mustang "Mat It Mango" paint...$$$$!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work and an outstanding write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Looks great!
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Very nice work and an outstanding write up!
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Great work! Did the owner happen to say what the color was? I really like it and it reminds me of the Roush Mustang "Mat It Mango" paint...$$$$!
    Thank you! Yes he said it is Lexus Molten Pearl. It is a beautiful color. Hopefully shows more beautiful now!

Funny enough the guy who originally painted it only charged him $1600 which is ridiculously cheap. A few months later the guy ended up closing his shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Beautifully done.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Awesome work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

RaydiantDetail:
    Great write-up. Thanks for the extensive detailed (no pun intended) information on products and process. Was worth the read to me, especially the part about the Sonax Cut and Finish compound!!

How did you acquire the AngelWax Desirable Paste Wax AND why did you use this particular wax on this color?? (Inquiring minds want to know)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    RaydiantDetail:
    Great write-up. Thanks for the extensive detailed (no pun intended) information on products and process. Was worth the read to me, especially the part about the Sonax Cut and Finish compound!!

How did you acquire the AngelWax Desirable Paste Wax AND why did you use this particular wax on this color?? (Inquiring minds want to know)
    Thank Lonnie. Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah the sonax Cut and Finish is a great product I`m going to be ordering more once I finish my small bottle. I was surprised how well it finished with the rupes blue pads which as of late I have come to actually enjoy now that I know how to prime them the right way.

AngelWax has quite a few distributors in the US now. If you just Google search angelwax USA you will get the US site and it will send your order to the closest one.

In terms of the wax desirable is considered there show car wax and since the car is going to be at Tuner Evolution I thought it would be a nice topper to the PA master sealant which really made the flake pop. I also just wanted to try the two angel products together. I`m waiting on some sun pics from him since by the time I got the car out once the PA had cured and I applied the angelwax it was already close to setting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job and a really nice write-up Ray... thank you! What was the owner`s reaction when he came to look at the results? He had to be blown away!
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Great job and a really nice write-up Ray... thank you! What was the owner`s reaction when he came to look at the results? He had to be blown away!
    Thanks Badger! He was definitley blown away. So part of the story I left out. He actually hung around for day 1. I showed him how to properly wash the vehicle 2BM method, decontimant, clay bars, clay mitts etc. I put him to work lol but he didnt see the finished product until the next day. Though even through just the first polishing phase he could see the difference in the clarity and the paint. I think it was a good experience becuase he realized how much really goes into properly prepping and correcting paint. By the end of the day around 5pm for him he was like "Man, I thought I was crazy, you may be insane". He was under the impression the entire job would take maybe 4-5 hours lol.
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job!!! Love the color. Also love hearing that you gave him an education in proper paint care. Once they realize how long it takes to really do correction work and make paint nice they have a whole new outlook on things and price!!!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information