Post Thanks / Like

2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach

A guy from work just bought a Black 2017 Silverado and along with it purchased a paint sealant\detail package from the dealership. He came to me because he knows how well I take care of my vehicles. After talking he realized he probably shouldn`t have bought the package from the dealership, but it was already underway.

Fast forward about a week. I had taken a little time off from work and during one of those days he picked up his truck. We was looking forward to getting it, especially since his last truck had 417,000 miles on it. The day I got back to work he stopped me, he had this sick look on his face. He says to me "I got my truck and I saw it in the sun and the dealership scratched it all up. The only thing I can focus on is the swirls.". He is getting PPF put on the front of it this week and he knew that the defects would need to be corrected first or he would be stuck with them for a number of years on the PPF came on and it could be corrected.

I wanted it for a whole weekend, but that wasn`t possible right now so we only had part of Saturday that we could work on it. He offered to help since he wanted to learn how to take care of it anyways going forward.

Products used:
    2BM Poorboy`s World Super Slick & Foam
    Big Blue Towels
    WW on the Glass
    Griots Fine Clay Mitt
    Fine Grade Speedy Prep Towel
    McKees 37 N-914 as Clay Lube
    Gyeon Tar
    Rupes Mini
    Griots G15
    Meguiars G110V2
    BOSS Microfiber Pads
    Griots BOSS Orange Correction Pads
    Various Orange Lake Country Pads
    Griots BOSS Correction Compound
    Griots BOSS Finishing Sealant

We started with a two bucket wash and the sun was in full force, so he was primarily the hose person keeping the panels wet. We had to skip the wheels and tires because they were still hot from the drive over. The primary focus was getting the paint dialed in. For correction we used a little bit of a hybrid process, the severe defect areas and the areas that were getting PPF were compounded. Limited on time we tried some test spots and ended up using Griots Finishing Sealant, I can`t say enough good things about this product. We got some really great correction and it finished out nicely.

Before condition:
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1656.jpg
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1663.jpg
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1669.jpg

This is Mike in the reflection, I set him up with the G110V2 and helped guide him through the process.
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1672.jpg

The paint readings on the cab of the truck seemed to run in the low 5 mil range and the bed of the truck in the low 4 mil range. Maybe someone here knows if that is similar to the front and rear bumpers on cars where they are painted at different locations?

Photos during the process:
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1670.jpg
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1666.jpg

Some After Shots:
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1676.jpg
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1681.jpg
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1682.jpg

Everything felt a little rushed. I would say we got about 75 - 80+ percent correction on the majority of the truck and better on the panels where the PPF was going. I wish I could have grabbed some better pictures with my DSLR and spent a little more time cleaning it up (wheels, tires, chrome and plastic trim, etc.). All in all he was very happy. I sent him off with some towels.

Something I took away is that I would spend a little more trial on error on how much Finishing sealant I should use or the size of area we were working. I feel like priming the pad made wipe off a little more difficult. Towards the end I started with a fresh pad and only a few drops. It still had great work ability and removal was much easier. We had used around 25 microfiber towels for polish removal, 8 pads that ranged from 5.5-5.6 inch pads and about 6 -3 inch pads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes trashmanssd, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach

A couple more after shots

2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1684.jpg
    2017 Black Silverado - Hybrid Approach-img_1687.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes trashmanssd, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes NLove liked this post
    Thanks NLove thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

He went to the dealership after work today with a few pictures. They are reimbursing him the $400.00 he paid. After a quick look at the photos, they apologized and said they can`t believe the vehicle left the dealership in that condition.

Thread Information