McKee`s 37 Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Mineral White 335i | One-Stepping Hard Paint To Maximize Profit

The Overall Goal/Situation

The owner of the BMW wanted to get this car in better condition, Half of the hood had been resprayed, as well as a few panels in the rear. This caused some extra rich orange peel that drove the owner insane. After speaking with the customer, I Explained that buffing/polishing the paint will help improve however the only way to get the paint as best as possible, wet sanding + machine polishing would have to be performed, I explained the process, the time it takes, and the level of skill required to perform a task like this.

After discussing with the customer about the options, we decided to not invest all the time/money/effort into his wifes daily driver. We agreed to improve what we had and do the best with the amount of time given to me.

So I had to adapt to the customers situation to meet their expectations all while still being profitable, Using a 1 step product was not going to put a dent in this hard paint or heavy orange peel, So I was confident in my plan of attack. ( More on that in the Paint Correction section below.)

Wheels/Tires

The moment I started to detail this twin turbo beauty, We had some south florida treacherous rain! So I washed the car inside the shop!

Before we start cleaning the wheels/tires lets take a look at some before shots.

Since we are cleaning the car in the shop, I put some microfiber towels under the tires to catch all the grime. To clean the tires we are going to be using N914 @ 1:8 (panel wipe ratio.)

Agitating and lifting the dirt on the tires.

Agitating with a wheel brush.

Wash/Decon

With it still raining cats and dogs outside, I performed a rinseless wash inside the shop.

Started off by adding some N914 to my pump sprayer to pre-soak the panels!

(I am in love with this pump sprayer!)

love the little foam bubbles N914 creates when pre-soaking, This helps encapsulate any dirt on the panel.

Mixed some N914 in a bucket to get the wash started.

After the washing was done, I used a clay bar and N914 @ Clay Lube Ratio to decon the paint, Normally I would use a clay sponge, or a mitt, However this car was in a body shop environment so it had overspray (more on that later)

Paint Correction

In the photo below you can see the area where the respray was done, Notice the waves and lack of clarity in the paint, This BMW naturally has orange peel from the factory, However this was really bad. If this car was black, It would be nightmare on elm street for us detailers.

To start the polishing process, I didn`t bother with a test spot, from experience, I know that the paint is hard, and in order to level that rich orange peel, We need to use a aggressive combination to get this done in a time efficient fashion so we can maximize profits.

So I jumped to the big guns! McKee`s 37 Fast Compound + Lake Country HDO Microfiber Cutting pad.

After wipe off, This is what we got. Now remember this BMW comes with orange peel from the factory, We were trying to level the over-spray from the cheaper respray job. While not perfect, You can see a dramatic difference in overall clarity.

Here is the lower driver side fender, You can see some overspray, and the swirls/scratches.
    (Before)

(After)

(Driver Side Lower Fender)

Driver Side upper fender (Before)

(After) A dramatic difference.

I went around the entire car with Fast Compound + Lake Country MF cutting pad.

After compounding with Fast Compound + Lake Country Microfiber Cutting Pad, I did a side by side comparison to see if there was any benefit to doing a second step. I seen little to no difference in overall gloss. The customer was not compensating for a ton of time, and the overall goal was certainly achieved so I went to my favorite part, Applying Hi-Def Paint Sealant!

I have enough experience to know that, Using a mid-grade or all in one polish was only going to get me so far with this paint, Truth be told even If i did have to follow up with a light polish, Or better yet one of my secrets is to use a compound then use 360 after to polish and seal. I would have sat there all day trying to remove what I did with a mid-grade polish, I used Fast Compound + the MF cutting pad as a terminator to remove all the nasty stuff, Lucky enough it finished LSP ready. If not I would have no problem going around the car with 360 to clean up any micro-marring

So using the Fast Compound accelerated my process and profits.

Engine

I do not ever, drench motors with water. It is just not worth it, I tell all my customers this when they pick up their vehicle, I use Engine degreaser, a rinse bottle with water, and trim detailer. This makes the engine presentable for the customer and doesnt put me at risk for the potential of thousands of dollars worth the repairs.

Applying Sealant

Used a Red CCS pad to apply the Hi-Def Paint Sealant!

Love the smell, and how thick this stuff is! Spreads out like butter.

Time was on my side, So i let the Hi-Def cure for about 1 hour.

And my favorite part is the buff off, no matter how many times I apply this stuff, I still get amazed everytime from the gloss and slickness left behind.

After

Polished the tips with Fast Metal Polish.

The owner Jim was protecting it from getting it dirty!

Jim was so impressed with how the BMW turned out, He did not think it was going to turn out as good as it did without wet-sanding. While it did not turn out perfect, It certainly was a major transformation, that the car deserved. (this car sounded pretty amazing upon start up!)

This twin-turbo beauty is ready to cruise the streets of south florida! Thank you for your business Jim!

Product List:

Fast Compound
    Hi-Def Paint Sealant
    N914
    Lake Country HDO Microfiber Cutting Pad
    Flex 7-15 Finisher
    Gloss Tire Gel
    Engine Degreaser
    Trim Detailer
    Inspection Light

-Joe Metlow
    Next Level Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mineral White 335i | One-Stepping Hard Paint To Maximize Profit

Nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

McKee`s 37 Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely done
    Thank you gonzales!

Post Thanks / Like

great job. I always enjoy reading your posts. keep them coming! McKees has a great line.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!

McKee`s 37 Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    great job. I always enjoy reading your posts. keep them coming! McKees has a great line.
    Thank You for reading, I`m glad you enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Looks great!
    Thank You Sir!

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, that was a success! Nice work!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology