Post Thanks / Like

I hate interiors! 2013 Grand Caravan with paint stains.

I turn away interior jobs. They hurt my knee and it`s not worth it for me. A fellow LEO friend wanted to surprise his parents by having me do a mild detail on their van. He was excited for them so I agreed to do the job. Besides, there was these paint stains all over the van that I was curious about to see what, if anything, would remove them. I had also received the sample of Feynlab Ceramified (is that even a bloody word??) Sealant which I thought would be an excellent choice for this vehicle. So I agreed.

Here it is as it arrived:

I started with the wheels and tires and wells. The wheel covers were nasty with brake dust and were treated to Megs WB and some serious agitation. That was followed by Zep Citrus and a demoted wash mitt in a pail of 3D Pink soap. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505 and the wells with LATA. The wheel faces were shot with Aqua Bead afterward to give them some protection.

The van was then washed with 3D Pink soap. That was followed by Riccardo yellow clay. Neither the washing, nor the claying got rid of the stains on the paint. Here`s one on the hood:

I had an idea in mind to deal with this. It had to be one step b/c this was a small job in terms of quoted time. I used my 3401 + a yellow B/S pad with Reflect and then I added about 4-6 drops of Duragloss Squeaky Clean to the existing drops on the pad. That was all worked into an area. This is a very good technique for stained paint. Here is that same section after that treatment:

As you can see, there was ZERO paint correction happening on this job. Besides, it`s a bloody van. The pad would get disgusting after just one panel. Here it is in need of cleaning:

Tell you what, it did the trick! That was followed by Feynlab Sealant. It looked a wee bit better I think.

As for the interior, I used a Autoglym knock off interior pad + Optimum cleaner for the plastic bits that were stained. That was followed by a mf which was dampened with ONR and then dried. It was intensively vacuumed and the glass was done too. Nothing crazy but it still took me about 2.5 to 3 hours. There was a lot of sand to vacuum up too!

Here it is all done after 9 hours:

Thanks for looking!
    http://www.flawlessreflectionsautodetailing.com/
    Likes Nizmo, ShakingHorizons, Diner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I hate interiors! 2013 Grand Caravan with paint stains.

Richie, you did the inside and outside in 9 hours or was the inside 9 hours. Either way, great job my friend, looks like a new vehicle again. Thanks for sharing Richie, I thought I missed your posting this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

wow that`s a great job and not the same van

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that`s some turnaround. Your a good man for accepting the job imho. How is your knee ?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it`s nothing short of spectacular especially studying the before pictures closely. I`ve no doubt your fellow LEO`s parents were ecstatic with the results. Damned nice of you to tackle the interior for him/them. A bum knee is one of the reasons I had to stop detailing so I do understand.

Post Thanks / Like

9 hours on a van like this is amazing so stop selling yourself short

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WT Taggart View Post
    Richie, you did the inside and outside in 9 hours or was the inside 9 hours. Either way, great job my friend, looks like a new vehicle again. Thanks for sharing Richie, I thought I missed your posting this week.

Thanks very much! The whole job was 9 hours. I was 3 or so hours on the interior alone. I left the paint till the last.

Quote Originally Posted by 65chevy View Post
    wow that`s a great job and not the same van
    Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Wow that`s some turnaround. Your a good man for accepting the job imho. How is your knee ?
    Oh, man. I`ve had a week off and I`ve done too much. I`m in a lot of pain actually. It`s fun getting old, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I think it`s nothing short of spectacular especially studying the before pictures closely. I`ve no doubt your fellow LEO`s parents were ecstatic with the results. Damned nice of you to tackle the interior for him/them. A bum knee is one of the reasons I had to stop detailing so I do understand.
    Rick, that will be what stops me eventually. I just hope it`s later and not sooner.
    His parents get home tomorrow night. I`m going to call and see what they thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    9 hours on a van like this is amazing so stop selling yourself short

Thanks a bunch!

Post Thanks / Like

One heck of a turn around !!!

Don`t let anyone in it or drive it.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Richy. Can your knee be fixed with surgery? I mean no one wants to go under the knife, but if they can fix it an take away the pain it would be a win win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    One heck of a turn around !!!

Don`t let anyone in it or drive it.
    For sure! And, thank you Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by NLove View Post
    Nice work Richy. Can your knee be fixed with surgery? I mean no one wants to go under the knife, but if they can fix it an take away the pain it would be a win win.
    I actually had a partial replacement done on it 7.5 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job richy. Full agreement with you on van interiors. I still don`t think my charge is high enough for family minivans. They are definitely the most time consuming of all vehicles. And then the depressing fact that you know the majority of them are pounded by kids the first day they are put back into action. Great looking finished product though!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had a partial replacement done on it 7.5 years ago.
    Unfortunately it`s usually not a permanent fix. It`s not uncommon for an additional surgery down the road. Also techniques and "replacement parts" have advanced significantly over the last 7.5 years. Just a thought, sure can`t hurt to look into it. Your supplementary insurance as a LEO should cover the prescription drugs (read painkillers) needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Unfortunately it`s usually not a permanent fix. It`s not uncommon for an additional surgery down the road. Also techniques and "replacement parts" have advanced significantly over the last 7.5 years. Just a thought, sure can`t hurt to look into it. Your supplementary insurance as a LEO should cover the prescription drugs (read painkillers) needed.
    My surgeon seems to think I won`t need another surgery on it for several more years. Who knows, maybe in my last year when I`ve got all that sick time to burn, the timing might work out, LOL.

Thread Information