Thread: 2016 GMC Canyon

Post Thanks / Like

Cool 2016 GMC Canyon

This truck has come to me twice now, once with 100 miles on the clock and it looked like this after wash and decon.

In case you are wondering, those are dealer installed burn marks from their buffer. I immediately called the client and informed him of what had been revealed (I stopped counting at 30 spots). He wanted me to stop at that point and took it straight back to the dealership. The dealership blamed GM (of course) and sent my client to their local body shop. The client met with the body shop and they stated that they would remove the marks and his truck would be as good as new. I stated to the client that unless they had a PTG, they shouldn`t be performing the work. Well, he went ahead and had them work on it. He called me on the day of pick up and I stated to him that I would drive to his location and inspect the vehicle before he signed off - he stated that wouldn`t be necessary as I had taught him what to look for and the body shop owner assured him that they do not use any fillers to hide imperfections. He picked up the truck and stated to me that it looked great, but wanted me to do a light polish and coating. We scheduled the appointment for Friday, 4/14.

He brought the truck to me Thursday evening so that I could get a head start on it and hopefully finish by Friday evening. Well, I didn`t touch the truck Thursday evening due to my full time job. Regardless, I woke up early on Friday and started on the truck, noticing nothing out of the ordinary. I pulled the truck back in the garage for decon, and that is when the fun started.

Not only HAD they used fillers, they had destroyed EVERY ridge and crevice on this truck. To say I was livid would be an understatement - to the point that my wife came out in the garage to figure out why I was making so much noise. Keep in mind that this truck has under 3k miles on it at this point.

At this point I felt bad for my client as this is the first new vehicle he has purchased in 20 years (he traded in his last new car for this one!). I called him to discuss the plan of action and he said that he trusted me more than the body shop or dealership, so he asked me to fix everything and he would go to bat with the body shop.

Test spot

I ended up using B&S Orange pads with Griot`s Fast Correcting Cream followed up with B&S White pads with CarPro Essence. Because not a single panel on this truck was flat enough, I ended up using my GG3 over the entire truck.

Notice that every ridge and crevice had been hammered with a rotary.

Results before essence

Finished pictures -

I ended up spending 17 hours on this truck and my client was ecstatic. He took a stack of business cards with him and said that he would refer anyone that asked about his truck.

Thanks for reading!
    Colin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 GMC Canyon

ShakingHorizons, you made a 180 on the condition of the finish. Wow, I am very impressed. The hood looked like a sanding block was applied and not touched. Excellent job

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive turn around.

Wonder how much cc is left on the paint after they did their thing... I would have been terrified to touch it.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes trashmanssd, ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great turnaround! That poor paint.... your client should save and document this process, as I bet the paint will be seeing clearcoat failure sooner rather than later. That body shop hacked it up on those ridges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    ShakingHorizons, you made a 180 on the condition of the finish. Wow, I am very impressed. The hood looked like a sanding block was applied and not touched. Excellent job

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Impressive turn around.

Wonder how much cc is left on the paint after they did their thing... I would have been terrified to touch it.
    Thanks Ron - I was able to borrow a PTG from a local body shop and there was more clear there then I originally thought - otherwise I would have cancelled the job.

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Great turnaround! That poor paint.... your client should save and document this process, as I bet the paint will be seeing clearcoat failure sooner rather than later. That body shop hacked it up on those ridges.
    The entire process was documented and submitted to some contacts he has at GM at this point. I didn`t want to touch the truck when I received it the first time after seeing those spots - didn`t want it to lead to premature clear coat failure due to me. I believe I have found a long-term customer and hopefully little correction is needed from here forward.
    Likes Ronkh, nickclark08, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work. Amazing.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice revival! Body shop of horror jeeze.

How is the Astra light? I was thinking about picking one up off amazon but it had very little reviews and they were mixed. The price seems right!

Post Thanks / Like

That poor ```````, I could not imagine being put through that ordeal. I hope he gets some restitution from GM. Beautiful work as always.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never seen anything that bad. It does look like they used some type of sandpaper...which speaks of your talents! Great work, great correction!

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible. I would have lost my mind to get the truck back like that from the dealer. Glad it`s all been documented to hopefully help him out in the future should they have hammered that CC too far.

Hats off to you - what a turnaround! Hopefully he`ll be able to send some business your way as you absolutely earned it!

Post Thanks / Like

Did he not look over the truck BEFORE he bought it??!!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    How is the Astra light? I was thinking about picking one up off amazon but it had very little reviews and they were mixed. The price seems right!
    IMO, for the price, it can`t be beat. I went through carid as they were the cheapest price, but after having 2 arrive damaged thanks to their lack of packaging, I can`t recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Did he not look over the truck BEFORE he bought it??!!
    He did, and honestly prior to giving it a good bath and clay (both times) nothing was out of the ordinary. Whatever they used at the dealership and body shop covered up the imperfections quite well!
    Reflective Impressions
    www.instagram.com/reflectiveimpressions
    Authorized Feynlab Installer

Post Thanks / Like

That`s just foul!! I bet he was kicking himself for not having you attend at the body shop. Damn good recovery on that job!!
    http://www.flawlessreflectionsautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    That`s just foul!! I bet he was kicking himself for not having you attend at the body shop. Damn good recovery on that job!!
    His exact words were "I just felt sick after you called me. Simply disgusted!".
    Reflective Impressions
    www.instagram.com/reflectiveimpressions
    Authorized Feynlab Installer
    Likes richy liked this post

Thread Information