Post Thanks / Like

2017 Lexus GSF - Essence + Optimum Gloss Coat

The owner of this Lexus GSF contacted me originally for a detail. After looking at the car and speaking about what the owner was looking for we settled on an Essence + Coating combo. That way I could provide some necessary correction within their budget and lay down a primer prior to coating. The front half of the car had a PPF wrap installed when the car was purchased but the paint was not corrected prior to laying down the PPF and it was also rough and needed a solid decon. The car could have also used a wheels off and wheel coating as these brakes produce a massive amount of brake dust but that was not in the budget at this time.

On to the process and pictures.

Wash: Pre-soak with DP foam soap, 2BM method with Megs Hyper Wash, CarPro Wool Wash Mitt, assortment of brushes

Wheels: Megs Wheel Brightener, assortment of wheel woolies, dedicated wheel brushes and wash mitt, Hydro 2 Lite for protection

Tires: Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner, Tuf Shine Tire Brush, and Megs D161 for dressing

Exhaust: Polished with Nevr-Dull and sealed with Hydro 2 (I prefer doing this prior to washing the car now)

Decontamination: Duragloss #471, Carpro Iron X, Griots Garage Poly Clay, and Griots FAST prep mitt

Paint Correction: Carpro Essence with Griots Orange Correcting Pad, Griots G21, Rupes Mini with Griots 3inch orange pads, Rupes Ibrid Nano with blue rupes pads (Rotary and DA mode), PPF wrap was polished with the CarPro Gloss Pads and Essence, the top of the trunk needed a bit of extra love so I hit it with Boss Correcting Cream and Orange pad, and finished with Essence on the Boss Yellow Pad.

Paint Prep: CarPro Eraser

Paint Coating: Optimum Gloss-Coat on paint, CF trim (coated and un-coated), headlights and tail lights. This was my first time using Gloss Coat and it was sooooo easy to apply. I started the application around midnight and it was about 1 degree Celsius (lol I am still Canadian in many ways and I don`t get this Fahrenheit business). It still self leveled around the 1 minute mark and I could easily see the high spots which also came off very easily with very little pressure. I also got a little more confident after doing the front and I was able to do entire panels like doors with no issues.

Cosmetic Engine Detail: Megs APC 4:1, dedicated brushes, protected with 303 Aerospace

Basic Interior: Vacuum, McKees 37 QID on dash, doors, and seats - the interior just had some light dust and dirt, nothing major required

Total working time: Approx. 12 hours

Total cure time: 12 hours

As always please enjoy and your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. I also want to apologize for the lack of before and after pictures on this one. I was really working against the clock as the car had to be ready by Sunday afternoon around Noon and I wasn`t able to start till later in the day due to the car being dropped off late.

Before photos - prior to wash

Washing/ Decon Process

Wheels before and after

Exhaust tips before and after

Inspecting the paint post wash - a few panel shots

Roof

Trunk lid
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Lexus GSF - Essence + Optimum Gloss Coat

Some final pictures

Engine bay - The V8 and exhaust note sounds great - Owner let me take it for a spin and it put a smile on my face

Interior

Yups that`s newspaper because I ran out of floor mats lol
    Likes Migue, trashmanssd, RaskyR1, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

20170129_105236.jpg

Love these seats
    Likes Migue, The Guz, trashmanssd, grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

I`m curious, why the Eraser step when (apparently) Essence leaves the surface ready to coat? I`ve never used Essence, just going by the amount of information shared / listed .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Very nice!

I`m curious, why the Eraser step when (apparently) Essence leaves the surface ready to coat? I`ve never used Essence, just going by the amount of information shared / listed .
    Hi Migue - I don`t think you have to use eraser - I just read on the carpro site that if you were working in colder temps to use Eraser plus if you were worried about adhesion. Since the temperature was close to 1 degree I felt that was cold lol. Also since it was my first time using Gloss Coat on top of Essence I`d just use it to be safe.
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Hi Migue - I don`t think you have to use eraser - I just read on the carpro site that if you were working in colder temps to use Eraser plus if you were worried about adhesion. Since the temperature was close to 1 degree I felt that was cold lol. Also since it was my first time using Gloss Coat on top of Essence I`d just use it to be safe.
    ahh cool, I was not aware of the recommendation for cold weather. Thanks for the info .

Post Thanks / Like

Great work on a Lexus that is actually sexy looking. thank you for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Nice work on a sweet car.

1 degree??? Even at celsius that`s too cold for me to wash a car outside. Were you kidding about the temp?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Nice work on a sweet car.

1 degree??? Even at celsius that`s too cold for me to wash a car outside. Were you kidding about the temp?
    Hey dschribs I agree too cold to wash a car in that temp but luckily this was around midnight when i was starting to apply the glosscoat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Likes dschribs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! That is about the only Lexus with that new open grill that I actually like. I think the stance with the open grill makes it look right. I see you went with a Rupes yellow and Essence for some of the paint. Did you not like the CarPro Gloss Pads with Essence on the paint? I have used both (love Rupes yellow), but for finishing I have found a touch more gloss with the Gloss Pads. Was it the hardness of the paint that pushed you to the Rupes yellow pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Great job! That is about the only Lexus with that new open grill that I actually like. I think the stance with the open grill makes it look right. I see you went with a Rupes yellow and Essence for some of the paint. Did you not like the CarPro Gloss Pads with Essence on the paint? I have used both (love Rupes yellow), but for finishing I have found a touch more gloss with the Gloss Pads. Was it the hardness of the paint that pushed you to the Rupes yellow pads?
    Hey rlmccarty2000, Sorry I actually used the BOSS Orange Pads on most of the car, and the CP Gloss Pad on the front PPF wrap. I seemed to get a bit more cut/ correction with the orange pad and Essence over the Boss yellow pad and it still finished down well. I definitely love Essence on the gloss pad though and you are 100% right it finishes down with a lot of gloss but not enough cut for a one step I find.

I do love the look of this Lexus as well. Also the sound of the V8 is pretty sweet.

Thread Information