Post Thanks / Like

2015 GMC Yukon Denali, exterior detail

A little late posting some of my more notable details from Fall- early Winter 2014... trying to catch up on the book/ networking/ marketing/ net side of things.

Upon inspection at customer`s residence, advised a one-step process that would cure majority of defects. The Denali was purchased as a daily-driver, grocery-getter for the payee`s wife. Maintenance would probably be sparse given husband was a fellow business owner and worked 60+ hours a week. Did not recommend a coating due to the maintenance needs they usually require... in fact, I find coatings `more needy` than a traditional sealant. Scratch resistance is certainly elevated with a coating but I am not to the point where I am fully sold on the tradeoffs (coating vs. sealant) after seeing the performance on my own stable of vehicles and other clients in our local climate.

Advised customer prior to purchase, no black color and no dealer prep. Gave sound advice regarding base color for a daily driver and poor choice on my part concerning dealer prep. Would have rather dealer dealt with factory inflicted damage and transportation handling issues, thus, I would have hypothetically dealt with minor swirls and/ or improper rotary use or wipe down. BUT, there is the "unknown, known" and the "unkown, unknown"... looking in the rear-view, I gambled and lost. Oh well, luck has never been `my thing.`

Fast-forwarding to ending comment(s)- The Denali didn`t turn out 100% but I didn`t even speak to this level. Client and I understood it needed to look better than how the SUV rolled off the truck and in the end... it`s a daily driver, glorified Tahoe. There were some residual beginning/endings to deeper scratches but the owner`s were made known of their existence yet were perfectly happy with the transformation and final result.

Personally, I am somewhat amazed at the quality control off-the-line regarding paint... and I`m not even speaking about orange peel. However, there was a nice build on the GMC; averaged 192 microns around the vehicle.

Above and following pictures showing condition upon arrival.

Factory D/A sanding mark... probably 3,000 complete with fine pigtails

More factory defects and/or poor handling at dealership

Matte blob on driver`s door... really nice for a domestic $70k SUV. I assume some kind of defect removal `scuff` pad from factory.

Note: Behind the above tire is a fabric type inner fender liner. The trend toward these types of materials being used is increasing. Why? 10K miles and these things are spent and a chore to clean. I understand black molded plastic fading but there has to be something better than fabric.

Retractable step plates a la AMP... nice touch for OEM.

Post decon inspection reveals...

After 1-step with HD Adapt/ Rupes 21/ LC Pink pad....

(0)

After Meg`s ULW, in the early day sun...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 GMC Yukon Denali, exterior detail

Continued...

Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. Overall the truck looks amazing. Impressed that,you got that kind of correction and finish with a 1 step on black. Thanks for posting it up.
    Likes Dellinger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

HD ADAPT is some great stuff! It`s a shame what some dealerships do to vehicles. If you`re not part of the solution don`t be part of the problem. Nice work Gabe.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dellinger View Post

Note: Behind the above tire is a fabric type inner fender liner. The trend toward these types of materials being used is increasing. Why? 10K miles and these things are spent and a chore to clean. I understand black molded plastic fading but there has to be something better than fabric. [/CENTER]
    Great results man, looks the way it should have new. Anyways, the reason for the switch to fabric is that it "soaks" up more road noise than the molded plastic. It makes the interior ride quieter, but only nominally without being combined with sound deadening pads and insulation on the body of the vehicle. I like the molded plastic better for cleaning, but cleaning the fabric ones up and then using fabric guard has worked well for me so the next clean is a little easier.

Cheers!
    Last edited by TheHazyGhost; 01-12-2015 at 04:28 PM. Reason: wording
    Thanks Dellinger thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice

Hard to believe a 1 step
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Nice job. Overall the truck looks amazing. Impressed that,you got that kind of correction and finish with a 1 step on black. Thanks for posting it up.
    Thank you! HD Adapt is... how do I say this... a very unique, quirky, excellent polish. It is a pleasure to work with on some paint systems and on others; not so much. Ambient conditions will also affect this polish heavily. While ambient conditions affects every other compound/ polish as well... Adapt seems to be affected more so in my experience.

That being said, when Adapt is working, it flat works!

I did use HD Polish/ Blue B&S pad/ traditional D/A for refining one body line that runs the length of the vehicle and some transitions on the hood from a slight bit of micro-marring. This was due to the `attack angle` of the pad and the additional pressure of the isolated areas meeting at severe angles. However, all other areas were indeed addressed with only HD Adapt or 95% of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by fdresq4 View Post
    HD ADAPT is some great stuff! It`s a shame what some dealerships do to vehicles. If you`re not part of the solution don`t be part of the problem. Nice work Gabe.

Steve
    Thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHazyGhost View Post
    Great results man, looks the way it should have new. Anyways, the reason for the switch to fabric is that it "soaks" up more road noise than the molded plastic. It makes the interior ride quieter, but only nominally without being combined with sound deadening pads and insulation on the body of the vehicle. I like the molded plastic better for cleaning, but cleaning the fabric ones up and then using fabric guard has worked well for me so the next clean is a little easier.

Cheers!
    Interesting information... many thanks for explaining this! I will be sure to utilize 303 Fabric guard on these going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Nice

Hard to believe a 1 step
    Indeed, Ron. I worked on 3 GM Black colored vehicles in the past 2 months. All seemed to depart from the `rock hard` nature that can typically be associated with domestic Ford, GM clears. All vehicles were manufactured after 2012... a Camaro ZL1, a 2500 Silverado, and this GMC. They all corrected fairly well... yet the ZL1 was very finicky to finish (I fought with HD Polish to finish it down. Prior to this, I never had a problem with HD Polish before on any black vehicle. Finally found the paint didn`t like the action of the Rupes 21. Once I picked up a traditional D/A, HD Polish worked just fine.)
    However, this GMC was really a pleasure to work on/ with.
    Likes TheHazyGhost, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking truck

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing