Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1
    I will say after stopping in at Lucci`s shop and seeing first hand how bad these defects are on these brand new exotics, I definitely have to agree with Bob on the daily driver bit. Not only are these brand new exotics riddled with heavy defects, but they are VERY low to the ground with much more challenging panels to polish.

Personally I don`t really care what the car is, I just like seeing great transformations taking place.

Thanks Rasky.... Everyone thinks exotics are perfect but in reality there are tons of sand scratches and other various defects even if the car is new... Until you have worked on a extremely hard clear coat covered with sand scratches and rids some of you will never understand. As Bob and I and whoever else does only "exotics".... I would correct a ````box minivan or a daily driver but I highly doubt anyone will pay the the rate to have it 100% corrected. I don`t personally do daily drivers or whatever it is that you guys want to see because I don`t waste time doing 1 or 2 steps in my business so your average daily driver isn`t going to spend the dollars to have there car on a perfect level. Going back to the product listing and sharing of the information if someone reaches out to me Via phone or email I`m happy to let them know a few tips and tricks or what I used here and there. When I started I wasn`t on forums looking for handouts or having to know every process I figured it out on my own car by Myself.

Those of you that know me and that are friends with me know I could honestly give a Fu*k less about what a bunch of detailers think of me as I`m not here to impress you nor could I careless about your opinions and what you want to know/see.. It comes down to if you want to see a daily driver / Sh*t box car correction then its plain and simple don`t click on the "New" "Exotic" "Supercar" threads and stick to what you want to see then there will be less drama and the whiny comments about not wanting to share the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    No prob! Thanks for fixing my spelling on your last name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge
    Mr "High n Mighty" was quoting Dave Fermani on how many posts were made up to the point where I had to point out this is "Have click n brags jumped the shark" part deux, always a good idea to notice the small or obvious details...................you know like doing a proper detail.

Here is what in my opinion constitutes a good or really good write up.

1. Quality

2. No embellishment

3. Pics that show correction(Paint/leather/trim....etc)

4. Vehicle does not matter as long as the above is demonstrated.

This thread was benign until the "Usual suspects" came in with the " I am a lowly detailer and guys in sunny California are doing exotics while getting a tan card" was pulled.

Why cannot someone just worry about growing their business no matter how it is formed? I like working on nice cars................ and I even admit to liking attractive women(Happily married so don`t go there) nice homes, anything done or built with quality and craftsmanship in mind. If you live in a region of the USA that is not swimming with nice cars this is not my or your fault..........it just is, like am I fortunate in the sense that I do not reside in a third world country(Yes I am) but the world is envious of the USA just like the displayed envy on this thread.

I will say it AGAIN, I am a carguy.............so if you do mini-vans or other crapbox vehicles that is enough because that is honest hard work, but I PAID MY DUES in spades a longtime ago so nobody has the right to judge me nor I them.

this has gotten out of hand, I just want to say that I do respect your work, and I am not jealous of you for detailing exotics. good for you, I`m sure you worked hard to get there. I am not a pro nor do I want to be. this is simply a hobby for me and I have no interest in detailing exotics. I am by no means knocking your or anyone`s work. I just feel that I`ve seen enough exotic threads for the last 2 years that ive lurked and would prefer to see more daily drivers. I am not saying one is better than the other, most people who post a write up achieve fantastic results whether its moms 86 camry or a veyron, whether its a minor 1 step, or a full restoration. we all have our preferences in what we like to see. different strokes and all. I think we can all agree that this board doesnt get nearly as many beater car threads as the exotics do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please keep this thread on track or it will be closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    This coming from you Bob, made me LOL - which never really happens to me.

Real funny!!!!!

On another note, I most definitely have to side with Bob - While I very rarely do exotics, in the last 8 or 9 years I haven`t seen BMWs or Porsches with just light swirling. All needed lots of work. So if I have to see a detail in C&B I do prefer cars I don`t work on or see too often. Bob is also right about people love taking and keep taking from you without much return.

sorry to some of you I do not have a 1997 Suburban with manure dumped in the back, and McDonalds fries stuck to the headliner

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really a shame that adult men and professionals have to get their panties in wad over something as stupid as click and brag...grow up!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Automania
    This is really a shame that adult men and professionals have to get their panties in wad over something as stupid as click and brag...grow up!!!

LOL Im not gonna even touch this subject! I would hope your probally the one who wears panties. :Banane20:
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    DWL ... you got that right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fork it, it`s done.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moderator2
    Please keep this thread on track or it will be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Fork it, it`s done.

I just find it amazing how a few people can’t see things at face value and just have to think that I’m always out to get them. Trust me; this couldn’t be further from the truth regardless of what anyone may think. I also don’t appreciate people making negative insinuations about my intensions either. If something is bothering you about what I do here, then by all means send me a PM or call me to talk about it. Like many others, I’m here to help grow this forum, so if you’re only out to repress things then move along to another place that accepts that kind of attention. In the meantime, I’m going to continue to do my best to attract people’s attention in the most productive and positive way I am able. If you have thoughts on how this can be done differently, then by all means feel free to reach out.

Believe it or not, this thread’s intension was to stimulate conversation in an effort to discuss what he/she likes to see in a CnB. BOTTOM LINE! Sorry if this is such a sore subject that forces the demons out. Geesh. If you don’t like my threads then don’t read them or start your own. Most of the people looked beyond that and stayed on track because they wanted to help.

I’m not going to allow this thread to get ruined by a few people that can’t stay on track. I’m overruling Jimmy’s decision to reopen this thread back up as long as people stay on topic. If it can’t then I’ll act accordingly. Sorry.

As far as the people who choose to give positive replies….Thank You for your feedback. Hopefully people that read this thread can have something to think about in regards to what people like to read and see because like I said that’s what this thread is all about. Now back on topic and keep giving your thoughts about what makes a great Click N Brag…….
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    this was def directed to get me to open up. i had a good convo with Da Ferminator a few weeks back on the phone about this. i read his other thread many times & tried to absorb the feedback to mold my writeups to make them better. i have studied the writeups as they are called & have been following many talented detailers from around the country. there are some very talented people out there but they are hard to come by.

i try to put together pictures that tell the story from start to finish. lets get down to business & cut out all the silly pics of cleaning wheels bc really, people are most curious to see how you handle various kinds of paint defects with your hands & or with your polisher.

i have developed a basic outline for my presentions with a few simple things i keep in mind to protect myself.

heres a few tips if you are doing this for a living:

1. date your work.

it doesnt have to be the exact day you took in the job but at least the month & year. this is the first step in protecting your work. put the date on the first pic, thats all you need to do.

2. watermark all pics with your logo or bus name. if you have a website it would be smart to include that next to or under that watermark.

3. action pics.

be brave & take a few pics of you working on the car. this puts a face to your name & helps connect the dots with the date. it says (who) you did that car & when, simple as that.

4. good photos!

if your not good at taking pics or you break things often like me then find someone to at least take nice after/completed work photos for you. you would be surprised how many good photographers are out there fresh out of college or still in college, just looking to take pics of cars to help get theyre name out there. working with a photographer if you can afford it will give you another mouth to promote your name. your work becomes his/her work & suddenly people start to think of you as a team. this is me & my team, my own network that im building. share the love & try to hand select only good people to be surrounded by.

i noticed the most pics you can include in one single post on a forum ranges from 10-25.

to decrease the amount of posts i was doing on forums i figured i would try to put them together in 3 or 4 posts (50-75 pics sounds nice).

a few sentences to explain the job being done is enough.

- before pics to show the condition of the car. if the sun is out use it to your advantage.

- a few pics after prep & tape. alot of people skimp on the prep step but its very important.

- some 50/50 shots if the job calls for a full correction. i like the halogen shots bc i use halogens for full correction jobs.

- a few pics of you in action. nobody wants to see a dude washing a car. unless you have a pair of breasts i dont want to see you dipping your hand in a bucket of soap suds, sorry. pics of you using a rotary or da machine showing proper form with your body while polishing i think holds good value.

- if there were a few tricky areas like some wetsanding fun for a deep scratch it would be a good idea to include a few pics of that.

- good after photos! no cell phone shots & please try not to take blurry pics!

all writeups are done with different intentions. if you detail for a living i understand the reasons why some dont explain everything. thats fine with me. if you detail for a living & also sell products & tools then the writeups are going to be about showing off the work being done as well as everything thats on the plate for sale & there is nothing wrong with that at all.

i learned by making mistakes as an apprentice in a body shop. its differnt now you have guys using the internet to look at pics, read & watch videos. where were these tools to learn for me 15 years ago?

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, where to start? I guess I`ll start with my views on some of the comments in this thread.

To visit the issue that certain "elite" detailers think they are above other`s and they`re all part of a good old, back slappin boys club, in my opinion is false. It`s like any other group of people that have become friends and keep in touch over a common interest. I have pm`d many of them in the past and was given advice and in most cases I was given their phone number incase I needed anything else. They didn`t owe me that! I`ve also called people who are selling products to ask for advice and they have been rude as ..... So am I to hate and bad mouth them? No! How do I know what is going on in their life`s at the time and who am I to judge them. My pm`s always started off humbly. By letting them know I admired their work, apologizing for bothering them and telling them that if they were busy I`d understand if they didn`t respond. I can`t remember ever not getting a response.

Most of these guys have been around for a long time and are tempered by many flame wars that have gone on in the past on various forums. You have to understand their reluctance to put themselves out their at times.

So, to sum up the subject of elitism on this forum, I think if people were to ask with some humility and not just expect that someone should just teach everything they spent decades learning and then give a significant amount of their time giving what amounts to free lessons, you might just find that most if not all of the guys would help! I hate to add this part but I feel I must, by help I don`t mean answer calls and msgs about a hundred things. Take some time to develop your skill set and when you get stuck reach out.

Another point I`d like to hit on is asking for a detailed explanation of every step on every job. I could probably go on for hours about this but I`ll try to make it short.

It seemed like everyone used to post processes and for what I believe are very good reasons, they don`t anymore. I`ll give a few examples of why I think this faded away. One is that people started fighting about how to use, when to use and even if a product should be used. What is now a common practice of mixing products to achieve a desired result was fought about like it was the worst thing you could do. Certain members were insinuating outright and in their threads that they were better than joe blow because they used the product like the manufacture recommended. You didn`t know what you were talking about if you added water or oil to the surface while cutting and or polishing. And if you`ve been around long enough, you know that at times either one of these can be beneficial. I won`t even get into the Zaino, Zymol, Klasse, etc. wars. The second reason I have for believing this stopped is that people have stolen others processes saying I`m as good as so & so because I do this. The problem with that is the results were far from great and it reflected negatively back on the original poster because that`s who the imposter pointed back to. To make matters worse they`d put the exact write ups on their company`s web page as their own. I think that would make anyone weary of posting every little detail when their livelihood depended on their reputation.

Finally because I`m tired, not because there isn`t much more I feel I could go on about. I want to touch on the issue of posting exotics. The paint condition straight from the factory, as we know, has been proven to be pretty bad to say the least. Not bad like the paint that a soccer mom`s car, who lives in a cold climate and drives thru the local car wash twice a week after driving up and down dirt roads all winter, might look like. But let`s look at this from a couple other points of view.

First, the soccer mom isn`t looking for 110% correction. She isn`t looking to have every tight angled edge of her car absolutely perfect. Her car doesn`t have multiple vents, groves and crazy body lines. She has stamped steel panels that were made with cost in mind, ie no exotic edges! So is their more actual area of paint correction? Possibly. But I can tell you that putting a wool pad to the hood of an abused Neon and staying way from any edges takes way less skill and nerves then putting a pad to the corner of a 2 million dollar Enzo, with known issues with paint thickness or should I say paint thinness. The Neons owner is expecting a great turn around. The Enzo owner is expecting that, when he goes out to cars and coffee with 30 other exotics, his car stands out from the crowd even to the most minute detail.

So is one better than the other as a post on this or any other forum? I`d say no, but I ask you to put yourself in that moment when you struck thru paint trying to get that last little bit out knowing you were too close for comfort and how you felt. Even on our practice panels or our beater test vehicles the feeling is gut wrenching. Now picture being in that situation everyday for a living. A soccer mom wouldn`t notice. A multi-millionaire with a garage built specially for his baby would notice that and a whole lot more. So I wouldn`t say they have it easy woking on those types of cars.

I like seeing both personally. Because I live in a cold, unrelenting, grey state, I like to see the average cars that I see daily. But as a car guy thru and thru, I love seeing the exotics also.

Just my 2 cents, best regards,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...

There is some good info here that even someone like I can use on my product reviews...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemurphy234
    Boy, where to start? I guess I`ll start with my views on some of the comments in this thread. .....

I like seeing both personally. Because I live in a cold, unrelenting, grey state, I like to see the average cars that I see daily. But as a car guy thru and thru, I love seeing the exotics also.

Just my 2 cents, best regards,

Mike

I didn`t want to quote the whole thing, but THIS is the best response yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Mike!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information