Post Thanks / Like
    Hello again from portugal,

This time, my work was on a modest car, but a work that gave me such a joy to do and made me proud of the result.

The car had a little crash, and the owner challenged me to try to repair it..... I like Challenges !!!!

Let`s review the work:

Photos on arrival:

Bumper

Let`s Start th Work

Decontamination

50/50

Bumper Repair

Polish

Final Result:

TBG Detalhe - Tratamento e Cuidado Automóvel, 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though I would have removed the bumper for the paint repair, you get an "A" for effort for doing this reconditioning.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a new car! Great job!
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    No need to remove bumper if you tape and paper the crap out of it.:thumb:
    Tire shine is the enemy.

john@classictouchdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by classictouchllc
    No need to remove bumper if you tape and paper the crap out of it.:thumb:

I guess body shops and paint manufacturers must be wrong then? If your bumper needed to be repaired/refinished, would you instruct the body shop to leave it on your car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there something wrong with the painting on the car method that I`m not aware of?
    Tire shine is the enemy.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, other then it`s not the right way to paint a bumper (or any panel for that matter).

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree if you`re painting a show car or something that someone will be concerned with perfection, but if you`re painting an average daily driver`s front bumper there is no problem painting it on the car. Also, I have personally seen many bodyshops paint panels/ bumpers on a car when cost was more of a concern than dry spray on the underside of a bumper or in a door jamb. Many times coverage is easier to gauge with a bumper on the car as you can see what is covered by trim peices and what is not, and what is hidden and what is not. As long as you sand the the very edge of your tape and mix your paint correctly there should be no problem at all with the longevity and quality of the paintwork. Its not necessarily the right or wrong way, its just different ways with different results.
    Tire shine is the enemy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree if you`re painting a show car or something that someone will be concerned with perfection, but if you`re painting an average daily driver`s front bumper there is no problem painting it on the car. Also, I have personally seen many bodyshops paint panels/ bumpers on a car when cost was more of a concern than dry spray on the underside of a bumper or in a door jamb..

We obviously have a difference in opinion then. I believe it should make no difference whether the car is a daily driver or a show car as long as you care about doing it right. If anything, a front bumper cover on a daily driver should have complete coverage right to the edge (exposed or not) seeing that it`s exposed to more then the rest of the vehicle. No body shop or paint manufacturer will warranty their work when it`s done the other way.

Many times coverage is easier to gauge with a bumper on the car as you can see what is covered by trim peices and what is not, and what is hidden and what is not. As long as you sand the the very edge of your tape and mix your paint correctly there should be no problem at all with the longevity and quality of the paintwork. Its not necessarily the right or wrong way, its just different ways with different results

Coverage wouldn’t be a concern if the bumper cover is completely removed and sprayed because you’re going over the edges, not right up to them. If not, you’re basically creating an exposed hard line that can break down. I’ve seen it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think difference in opinion, probably just semantics. The fact of the matter is that a lot of people don`t want to pay for "doing it right", and as for the hard line, that only happens if you don`t sand to the edge. I have seen cars that have hard edges that are several years old that are fine, and I have seen them with hard edges that break down in a few months. The difference? Sanding. Everytime hands down if you don`t prep it right it will fail. Every panel has a hard edge somewhere whether painted on or off the car. The difference will always be prepwork as there is definitely a right and wrong way. I agree the best way to spray is off the car, but have seen plenty of decent paint jobs on panels that weren`t removed. Also, back to the topic at hand, his masking looked very thorough and as such it looks like a pretty high quality job. I am pretty sure that Yaris driver is thrilled to pay $200 instead of $600 to repair his bumper that will probably be damaged again anyway.
    Tire shine is the enemy.

Post Thanks / Like
    For The Tight Budget of the client... and the kind of work to be done, the bumper was not removed. The perfect job, for the perfectionist "detailer" and the budget/car that deserves it, all the details must be done, and i would have removed the bumper.

The final result surpassed my expectations.. (and client too). Another job DONE !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure that the Yaris was happy, too!
    Tire shine is the enemy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TBGDetalhe
    For The Tight Budget of the client... and the kind of work to be done, the bumper was not removed. The perfect job, for the perfectionist "detailer" and the budget/car that deserves it, all the details must be done, and i would have removed the bumper.

The final result surpassed my expectations.. (and client too). Another job DONE !!!

I`m totally fine with what you did for this application and am not knocking you for doing it. The car justified what you did to it and how you did it. My only point is that when someone wanting to do this type of operation *correctly* via the most professional industry standards you will be best off removing the bumper for refinishing. Especially considering that removing and detriming a bumper just takes a little longer and gives you the piece of mind knowing that you did things right. I`d hate people that need this type of repair done to see this thread and think it`s ok to paint it on the car thinking that`s how to do it best. It`s not. After all, this is what Autopia is all about. Doing things right.

Again, great job on this detail!

Thread Information