Post Thanks / Like
    I apologize for the "how to" nature of the write up, as I posted this up on other forums as well, and I know there are many on here that I can learn from so please don`t take it the wrong way.

So after a couple weeks, I finally got around to going through and resizing all the pictures that I took during the detail. I enjoyed working on this car as I was not rushed for time and was able to work on it throughout the labor day weekend. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the write up.

Exterior:

Citrus Wash and Clear

CG Fine Clay

Megs ASD

Collinite 885

Optimum Car Wax on jambs and on top of Collinite

Optimum Instant Detailer for added slickness

Polishing:

Makita Rotary

Meguiar`s M105 With Orange Pad

Meguiar`s M205 with White Pad

Meguiar`s M205 with Black/Gray Pad

Wheels:

CG Sticky Wheel Gel (Great Alternative to p21s)

Simple Green to clean tires

Optimum Car Wax

AA Tire Dressing

Exhaust Tips:

Optimum Metal Polish and 000 Ultra Fine Steel Wool

Let`s take a look at what I was working with when Mike dropped his car off. I could tell it was very well kept and regularly washed, as it was fairly clean and looked pretty good without any direct sunlight. Under the sun and halogen lights though, all the swirls could be very clearly seen.

I first started off by giving the car a wash. As with any wash I began with the wheels. After first rinsing off as much dirt and grime as I could, I sprayed the wheels down with some CG Sticky Wheel Gel which seemed to melt away the brake dust and grime before I even touched the wheels.

After letting the cleaner dwell, I agitated the wheels with a EZ Detail Brush which makes multi-spoke wheels like these a breeze.

Following this I cleaned the face of the wheels with a dedicated grout sponge, and scrubbed the tires clean with some Meguiars APC at a 4:1 ratio and a nylon brush. I did this for each wheel and rinsed them after before proceeding to the paint.

After the wheels, the engine was next. I popped the hood open and sprayed the engine compartment down with 4:1 Megs APC after giving it a rinse. I agitated with the EZ detail brush making sure all dirt and grime was gone.

Whenever I am going to be polishing I want to ensure any existent LSP is taken off the paint, so my wash of choice for this purpose is Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear which will strip any protection at normal dillution.

I then proceeded to wash the vehicle using a 2 bucket method starting from the roof and working my way down. In addition, I like to use a seperate wash media for the lower panels than the upper panels. I like to use two different colored buckets to make it much easier to distinguish which is the wash and which is the rinse bucket.

When doing the side panels, I recommend using an up and down motion, especially when doing regular washes in between polishing, because it makes any potential wash marring less noticeable.

As I go along I make sure to rinse off the suds to prevent spotting from the soap. Once the vehicle is washed I use the sheeting method to get as much water off the car as possible.

Now it is time to dry the car. For this purpose, I take out my Optimum Instant Detailer, and spray once on the panel I am drying, and follow up with a waffle weave towel. This provides a slicker surface for the towel to glide across, reducing the chance of any marring.

Once the car is dry it`s time to pull the car in and clay the paint. Detailed Image Clay with ONR as lube is what I prefer to use.

Following the claying, I dry the car off of any left over clay lube, and proceed to tape up all trim that might be damaged by the polisher.

Once this is complete, I proceed to tape off an area that I will use to test different pad and polish/compound combination until I am happy with a result.

Here is an area taped off:

And the result after:

While halogens and camera flashes can show swirls very well, it is best to wipe the surface down with alcohol and pull outside if possible to ensure no machine holograms are left:

Now that I had my process down, I could proceed with completing the rest of the car step by step, sometimes hitting certain areas with multiple passes of the same pad/polish combo to ensure defect removal.

This is a great shot that shows how 1 step of M105 and an orange pad cleared up the deep swirls, only leaving minor swirls from the aggressive polishing combo that would be cleaned up with M205 later on.

When polishing areas such as the trunk, I like to prop it up to prevent accidental paint burning on the bumper. My camera tripod works perfect for this purpose.

Here I am breaking down the M205 which was the next step after M105.

After each step, I like to do an ONR wash which will remove polishing dust and prep the surface for the next polishing step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once completed with my final wash, I inspected the paint thoroughly before applying two coats of jetseal109 which looked great on the jet black paint.

And finally, here this was the final result after dressing, sealing, and putting the finishing touches.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you guys enjoy reading this even though it`s a bit lengthy! Thanks for looking and any comments or criticism are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice work man! What a house. you got some killer photos there.
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car and house. Good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    sick car...if you got some spacers for the wheels it would make the wheels sit perfect

Post Thanks / Like
    The thought of black BMW paint makes me uneasy but this one came out stunning! Truly nice work on the correction and I will surely steal your tripod in the trunk idea for next time!

Post Thanks / Like
    No need to apologize. The how-to is always appreciated. Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Man there more pics in this thread than I have of my kid!

Nice work on the bmw.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Job, Thanks for the how to guide 2, always good to learn something
    United States Air Force

Missile Maintenance Technician

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    just curious, how much does a job like this run?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great turn around !!! Looks awesome.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, beautiful result. nice write up :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferbarry
    very nice work man! What a house. you got some killer photos there.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Nice car and house. Good job.

Thanks guys, the house isn`t mine but my parents`.

Quote Originally Posted by xjonmo
    sick car...if you got some spacers for the wheels it would make the wheels sit perfect

The car does not belong to me, but the owner was talking about getting some real BBS wheels (these are replicas) which I`m sure would have a more aggressive offset. If it were my car though, I definitely agree about the spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by dsms
    The thought of black BMW paint makes me uneasy but this one came out stunning! Truly nice work on the correction and I will surely steal your tripod in the trunk idea for next time!

Thanks! Bmw jet black is probably one of my lease favorite paints to work on, but the end result is always worth it! I couldn`t believe I didn`t think of the tripod idea sooner, I always had trouble finding something the right size to prop up the trunk, this just works perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutee
    No need to apologize. The how-to is always appreciated. Nice job!

Glad you enjoyed it, and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superior__Shine
    Man there more pics in this thread than I have of my kid!

Nice work on the bmw.

That actually made me laugh out loud :LOLOL , thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcracin
    very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetailnByDustn
    Excellent Job, Thanks for the how to guide 2, always good to learn something

Quote Originally Posted by rwisejr
    Great turn around !!! Looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam
    wow, beautiful result. nice write up :2thumbs:

Quote Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
    just curious, how much does a job like this run?

Thanks guys, as far as pricing I like to keep that between myself and my clients, sorry!

Thread Information