Post Thanks / Like
    here is my dad`s 73 VW bus...it was a really bad orange/white mix when he got it a year ago...it was repainted about 8 months ago, and sits outside all day long!

it was heavily water spotted and swirled up - he doesn`t want to spend 3 hours washing the thing, and frankly neither do I, so I don`t critique him too much on the washing technique, I just give him better tools to do it instead of older towels and rags...

anyway

I started out with megs 66 on a orange pad and was getting about 1/2 out or covered up. i then switched over to OC and orange pad and it was taking all of it out, but also the paint too - single stage, no clear!!! I talked to my dad and he was fine with what 66 was taking out, so I continued to use 66 and orange over the whole thing. Next time I will use a sealant, then top with lots of carnauba to make it realy shine, or maybe RMG and pinnacle souveran if I feel like it!

here are the pics after 66 and orange exceldetail pad via PC

before

Afters

as you can see, 66 doesn`t take everything out, but definitely does have filling action to it! I think that I am going to order some poli-seal to try out on this van to see what the differences are between poli-seal and 66 since no one else seems to know....I`ll make a new thread after that happens

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that van!!! Nice work to Eric!! The paint is real bright now, very minimal spiders left....!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    I love that van!!!
    :2thumbs:

How about a couple of interior shots?

Post Thanks / Like
    oh its pretty beat up still....has had the time to restore that....all the panels have to be replaced, the seat were reupholstered though, and the headliner need to be replaced...then he is thinking about either hanging curtains or tinting the windows....this is his surf van to hold his long boards...the motor was just rebuilt and parts replaced and its finally running tip top right now...goes 70mph just fine - these things weren`t built for speed!!! more for cruising down the beach areas!!!

he took it out to a meeting the other day and everyone was drooling over it...many of them not from California, but everyone loved it when the valet guy brought i around and my dad claimed it!!! lol

I am trying to convince him to take everything out and let me clean it all up and have it all repainted on the inside! the seat supports are a little rusty, but thats nothing a little sand paper and spray paint cant take care of...

hopefully it turns out how he wanted it to a year ago when he bought it. but its just a toy for him, so he is not rushed to get it done any time soon....I`ll see if I can hurry him along! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always had good luck with Meguiars on old VW`s single stage paints. I would go with #80 and a pc for swirl removal then #7 glaze (single stages really like the oil in this), and then finish with a carnuba or #21.

You may want to give #7 a try since the #66 and the OC seem to be working well for the swirl removal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good, especially for a quickie!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    That truck would be awesome for a detailer`s vehicle. Just imagine all the equipment you could put in that thing and the look on peoples faces when you pulled up in a pristine 73 vdub bus!
    PERFECTION is in the details

Post Thanks / Like
    My friends mom had one of these in brown with the Porsche engine and vanity plates that said "FIFI". Yes, that was her nickname. None of us wanted to be seen in that van.

Post Thanks / Like
    this van is pretty cool - its a throw back for sure, which adds to the prestige....its awesome for going to the beach and throwing your stuff in it. No carpet means no smelly mildew if you throw a wet wetsuit in the back!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work man! That is a pretty neat detail!

Post Thanks / Like
    P.S. Go with the tinting, not curtains since it isn`t going to be used for `hippie` purposes anymore (or maybe?)
    PERFECTION is in the details

Thread Information