Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator : This could help with lubrication using it with your wash technique, using one which foams a lot and dwells meaning it offers more lubrication than one which doesnt foam or last as long.

Silvabimma : The gilmour seems good but not as good as the pressure washer, so if i had to choose one it would be the karcher to wash with and the gilmour for something that you need foam for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m giving up on my foam gun. It works well, but I was never able to fit it into my wash routine. The last time I used it, I didn`t have the quick connect pushed all the way on and the gun flew off and hit my car! It`s for sale in the trading post section if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    After this test I dont see a use for my Gilmour because my jet wash takes just the same amount of time to set up as its at a power point and plugged in just need to switch it on.

I feel the jet wash seems to allow the foam to dwell for longer and in my opinion leave a less grimey surface, in all honesty I dont think we will ever get a wash which removes everything by just letting foam dwell on the surface. Fun all the same though ! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_
    After this test I dont see a use for my Gilmour because my jet wash takes just the same amount of time to set up as its at a power point and plugged in just need to switch it on.

I feel the jet wash seems to allow the foam to dwell for longer and in my opinion leave a less grimey surface, in all honesty I dont think we will ever get a wash which removes everything by just letting foam dwell on the surface. Fun all the same though ! lol

PM sent. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    JJ- Yeah, it seems you need *some* kind of agitation to dislodge the dirt, too bad the spray-on-spray-off doesn`t work better.

After seeing this thread yesterday I cranked up the mixture when I washed the A8, didn`t seem to hurt the LSP any. Yeah, there *is* something to be learned from your experiments even when using a different wash technique. Which of those shampoos struck you as having the best lubricity?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I agree there, you do need something to dislodge the dirt.

I think the most lubricity was offered by hyper wash or 1z Glanz weekly, im going to do a wash test as well go through each shampoo see which one I feel suits my needs the best. I have your wash technique printed out as I dont fancy continously polishing the car because of slight marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    I have your wash technique printed out as I dont fancy continously polishing the car because of slight marring.

Heh heh, a lot of people wouldn`t fancy doing my wash technique every time either But I hope it works out for you as well as it has for me.

And thanks for responding about the lubricity, I value that characteristic *very* highly.

Post Thanks / Like
    *bump* also, can anyone post some pics with DG901 in the foam gun?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    *bump* also, can anyone post some pics with DG901 in the foam gun?

I`ll do it for you tomorrow, but my foam gun is for a pressure washer. It makes some serious foam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shadybreal
    I`ll do it for you tomorrow, but my foam gun is for a pressure washer. It makes some serious foam.

thanks buddy :up

Post Thanks / Like
    ....bump....

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a new foam lance at the weekend and I will post up some results with that over the next week or so, just to keep you guys up do date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well as promised!

For the guys across the pond 1oz = 30ml , saves any of you having to google it!

Well, this started a few weeks ago, I pm`d steve (l200steve) to ask him how I figure out what ratio of solution to put in my old Gilmour. I did something like this ages ago, refer to Foam Gun test with various shampoos - Autopia.org quite some years ago! I drew up an excel sheet so that I knew exactly how much I should put in my Gilmour running at 1:10.

First up

Hyper Wash

150ml by calculation, 150ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 3/5 (score out of five?)

Foaming ability 3/5

Dwelling 2/5

Hyper wash is the uber dilution ratio of all washes, it is thick in consistency and I used hot water in the gilmour to get a more manageable wash solution. It is quite a lubricated wash and cleans well, it is not the best I have come across but the price of the product is tough to pass by. Thin suds left after, not a lot to be honest, it works but it is mid range.

Spraying

After Dwell

Meguiars Shampoo Plus

68ml by calculation, 70ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 3/5

Foaming ability 4/5

Dwelling 2/5

Lots of suds here, very lubricated wash, my choice for wet sanding and clay due to the thick wash and high lubricity offered here. Not quite as long dwelling bit of a let down, however, this does perform very well as a normal wash shampoo.

Chemical Guys big and tar wash

30ml by calculation, 25ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 5/5

Foaming ability 2/5

Dwelling 3/5

Bit of a wild card here, not a shampoo as such more of a stubborn mark remover, I decided to try this just for kicks, I took the strength down a notch as I didn`t want to remove all the wax ! It actually performed better than some, very impressed. This would be ideal for the Pro or Hobby in the case that you have a heavily soiled vehicle, just sud it up and let it take the hard stuff off, since you would be restoring the dry paint anyway, handy size and not really a bad word against it.

Well, this started a few weeks ago, I pm`d steve to ask him how I figure out what ratio of solution to put in my old Gilmour. I did something like this ages ago, refer to Foam Gun test with various shampoos - Autopia.org quite some years ago! I drew up an excel sheet so that I knew exactly how much I should put in my Gilmour running at 1:10.

First up

Hyper Wash

150ml by calculation, 150ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 3/5 (score out of five?)

Foaming ability 3/5

Dwelling 2/5

Hyper wash is the uber dilution ratio of all washes, it is thick in consistency and I used hot water in the gilmour to get a more manageable wash solution. It is quite a lubricated wash and cleans well, it is not the best I have come across but the price of the product is tough to pass by. Thin suds left after, not a lot to be honest, it works but it is mid range.

Spraying

After Dwell

Meguiars Shampoo Plus

68ml by calculation, 70ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 3/5

Foaming ability 4/5

Dwelling 2/5

Lots of suds here, very lubricated wash, my choice for wet sanding and clay due to the thick wash and high lubricity offered here. Not quite as long dwelling bit of a let down, however, this does perform very well as a normal wash shampoo.

Chemical Guys maxi suds II

122ml by calculation, 100ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 4/5

Foaming ability 5/5

Dwelling 4/5

Ok we have a draw, this product was outstanding, super foam, dwelled nicely, nice sudsy wash, nice lubricity a well rounded wash solution, this is an excellent bucket wash performer too. It dwells on the rounded edge which I like as more of the harder dirt is down there so it dwells longer on the harder dirt! Great.

Chemical Guys Cirtus wash and gloss

122ml by calculation, 100ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 4/5

Foaming ability 5/5

Dwelling 4/5

Its basically this easy, do you like yellow or pink, both the chemical guys products are excellent, the citrus may edge it on the fact that it is more glossy once it is rinsed and also it provides more suds on impact. So I would say if I had to choose this would be it!

SIIIIMOOOOL Clear

166ml by calculation, 100ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 3/5

Foaming ability 4/5

Dwelling 2/5

Ok so we have a top notch price here, good foam, good lube, nice fell to it, almost milky appearance, glossy, a very well rounded wash. I wasn`t sure at first but the wash is certainly thick enough coming out of the bottle.

Supagard Shampoo

203ml by calculation, 50ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 3/5

Foaming ability 4/5

Dwelling 2/5

Ok the further I got into this test, the more I realised that the solution was too thick, I was using too much shampoo for my very very soft water. So I reduced it with pleasant results. Not a fantastic shampoo for washing but seemed pretty good on the gilmour, but it just died not much left here.

1z Perls

36ml by calculation, 60ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 4/5

Foaming ability 3/5

Dwelling 3/5

A good shampoo, nice and thick in the bottle, not much used in the gilmour compared to others, I was now experimenting with my results and being less scientific in my approach. This gave a nice foam and finished off with a nice gloss, not too different to say shampoo plus. Nice and lubed.

1z Gloss

68ml by calculation, 60ml for the foam gun

Dwell time 5 mins

Cleaning ability 2/5

Foaming ability 3/5

Dwelling 2/5

A very thin wash, almost like CG bug and tar remover, nothing special, although I do like this as a wash, very nice to use.

There ya go! Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Re the CGW&G...wouldn`t you be concerned that leaving that mixture on the paint for five minutes would erase the LSP? That is strong stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    JJ, thanks for sharing once again! :up

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information