Page 1 of 17 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up this silver `99 Protege LX yesterday. It`s a 5spd with 63,500 miles. I saw it yesterday late in the afternoon, which of course means there were a few things that I saw today at noon that I didn`t see yesterday oh well.

It`s got PS, PL, PW, PM, tilt, cruise, alarm, and CD player. And it`s got cupholders! Unlike my Maxima... :down

I haven`t even gotten a chance to wash it yet, since I got home with it last night around 8:00PM, and I had to leave for work at 3:00AM.

So here`s what it looks like from a few feet away...

The stickers on the windshield have already been removed, and I was able to transfer the State Parks stickers that I had on the Maxima to the Protege.

Upon close inspection, here are the problem areas (well, some aren`t very problematic, they just need a little TLC):

Can anybody give me an idea of what this stain is on the headliner? Is it cigarette smoke? I haven`t tried anything to clean it yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A few more coming...
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you made a good find there. It`s amazing what a couple feet will change in what you see.

I will guess that the "staining" that you see on the headliner is road grime from driving around with the window slightly cracked. I had the something similar with a C Class Benz. Careful removing it and be very gentle.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a little tar for ya!

Let`s see what Meg`s APC can do for that!

Oddly enough, the owner said it was in excellent condition. You`d think that they would at least wash the car if they`re going to claim it as excellent condition. Obviously excellent condition means different things to different people.

More pictures coming after it gets a little work.

Oh, and yes, it was a Texas car. It was driven there for 4 years, so it was only driven through one Wisconsin winter.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anybody give me an idea of what this stain is on the headliner? Is it cigarette smoke? I haven`t tried anything to clean it yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Prestone foaming carpet cleaner the red can at wally world. It produces enough foam and cleaner without saturationg the head liner. it also works great on stains and upholstery

Nice looking ride!

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great...but I know you see the potential! Keep us updated!

Did you get it at Concours? How was the sales experience?

Post Thanks / Like
    P.S. My mazda 6 gets those stains from having the windows down a little like mentioned above and from having the sunroof open.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about Woolite and warm water with a MF towel? I`d like to use something I already have if possible.

I have:

Meg`s Detailer APC

Woolite

Autoglym interior shampoo

Detailer`s Pride Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl - I bought it from a private party. The owner bought it new at Concours, and it was driven to Texas for the next 4 years, and then came back here. The owner has an Infiniti I35 now. Major upgrade IMO. Although there`s nothing wrong with a Protege!
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    woolite and or APC diluted appropriatly (sp?) will probably work just fine. turn the nozzle on the sprayer to really fine mist and give it a spray. After seeing how much glue is really used on these things at work I am not to afraid to even use my Spotter on them from time to time. I dont suggest on older cars doing that but a newer car it shouldnt be a problem as long as you are not soaking the thing so bad that it start to droop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Folex on that headliner. DP stain remover might be similar, I`d try that first. Don`t oversaturate with hot water, as the adhesive can come undone. And that`s not fun (I`d know, sadly).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ yeah no hot water. my spotter I should clarify is not heated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottabir - is your Mazda`s headliner a little stiff compared to other cars? Mine feels like cardboard compared to the Maxima`s soft carpet-like headliner. :nixweiss

I know about using very little water on headliners, and I`ll use lukewarm water. Thanks for the reminder though.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Today`s update:

I removed the tar with Meg`s APC and a couple blue shop towels. I buffed off any excess APC with a MF towel.

I also worked on cleaning the engine bay. Here you can see that I took the big front intake resonator box off, leaving the open tube in front of the air box. Also notice that I polished part of the engine with Mothers Mag/Alum Polish and a terry towel. That`s after 7 applications of the polish by hand. It looked much better after the first application, but the subsequent applications were still yielding slightly better results, so I kept going. I`ll probably go over the area a few more times yet too...

Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    For the engine bay there, get a cordless drill, and a felt wheel. It will look a heck of a lot better, and be 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x easier.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t wait to see the final results. Try a Mother`s powerball in combination with that mag/aluminum polish. It`s a great combo. Although felt wheel would get in the tighter areas better.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Page 1 of 17 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information