Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about it some more tonight, and my guess is that the bar is for the Protege ES, which has the bigger engine. It`s probably a slightly different setup, for which this bar WOULD fit correctly. However, the auction didn`t mention whether it was specifically for the 1.6L or the 1.8L. Live and learn I guess. At least I`ll have a nice decoration for my new garage!
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a few shots from yesterday`s work...

I pulled the front wheel covers off to clean them. The Protege LX only has 2-wheel discs, so there isn`t much brake dust accumulation on the rear wheel covers.

I cleaned them up somewhat, but since it was taking a lot of time/effort to clean them, and you can`t even see the back of the covers unless they`re off the car, I decided to stop wasting my expensive P21S Wheel Cleaner and just get the easier stuff off.

After AIO + WG:

And I finished up on the engine bay too. I had to buy another can of Mothers Mag/Aluminum Polish. I used over half a can of the stuff!

Now I have to go wash my car and my mom`s car before we reach our forecasted high of 92*F
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Looks to me that it`s the cruise control bracket that it`s interfering with. Is that a standard option? Or are you now saying that you didn`t get the right part?

Thats exactly what I thought, the cruise is an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I`ve been told on the Protege forums that it is indeed the cruise control bracket.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh 92*F and dewpoint of 75*F... heat index = 102*F. Miserable. Just miserable.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow the Protege gets its windows tinted. I`m pretty sure I`m going with 20% all around, like I had on the Maxima. I`m just wondering how the cops are in Stevens Point (where I`m moving to in 2 weeks) about tint. It makes me want 35%, but every time I look at a car with 35% I think "it would look better with 20%".

And BTW I filled up with gas today. 248 miles on 6.33 gallons = 39.18mpg! There are some things you just have to love about a 1.6L engine. :xyxthumbs That was almost entirely highway miles at ~70mph.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that is sexy mileage. I wish my 5.7L would get that.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been following this thread since it started. It is looking great. Now if the owner did this, He could have gotten a few hundred more for the car. Detailing is a good selling tool for people selling their cars. Tell them that the 200.00 they spend with you can get them $400 more. It works for me and isnt just a sales pitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely. I was actually looking for a car that was only in average condition. I have all the necessary equipment and products to transform it, so I might as well save myself some money and do all the stuff myself. Unfortunately for me, the exterior was in worse shape than I first believed (as far as bonded contaminants).

Oh well...I get to try the FK1 decontamination system now.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just in WI! I should`ve hunted you down and visited :chuckle: ...I too have been following this thread since day one and I cannot BELIEVE what you have managed to do so far...those hub caps are looking AWESOME...and not to mention that headliner overhaul! There is no need to say good luck with the car; just get more pics up!

Post Thanks / Like
    any word on what the ebay seller said? maybe a strut tower brace doesn`t work with cruise control?

car is looking good so far. i can`t believe how flakey the hubcaps have. nice.

*update - just searched around the internet for some info, try checking out this forum thread i found on the mazdaiii.com forum board. it seems like you need to get a cruise control relocator bracket. good luck. :xyxthumbs
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link Hirosh. My dad came up with an interesting solution. I haven`t sold my strut tower brace for the Maxima yet, so we compared the length of the actual bars. The brackets are different, but the bars are equal length. I unscrewed the brackets from both bars and swapped them. The Maxima`s bar has a slight dome shape to it, so I took it out to the car and tried to fit it. It sits about 3/4" above the manifold now, and barely touches the cruise control bracket. I can always fix that. The mounting plate on the strut tower will also have to be cut.

Hopefully this works out.

Evo - where in WI were you? You would have been welcome here!
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    Ugh 92*F and dewpoint of 75*F... heat index = 102*F. Miserable. Just miserable.

Tell me about it!

Yesterday it was 96*F and dewpoint of 73*F...Heat index was at 105*F. How bad can it get? I waited until 9pm to wash my car, and it was still 85* and I was dripping with sweat.YUCK!
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link Hirosh. My dad came up with an interesting solution. I haven`t sold my strut tower brace for the Maxima yet, so we compared the length of the actual bars. The brackets are different, but the bars are equal length. I unscrewed the brackets from both bars and swapped them. The Maxima`s bar has a slight dome shape to it, so I took it out to the car and tried to fit it. It sits about 3/4" above the manifold now, and barely touches the cruise control bracket. I can always fix that. The mounting plate on the strut tower will also have to be cut.

Hopefully this works out.

Evo - where in WI were you? You would have been welcome here!

I was at the Red Oak Campground in the Baraboo area right next to the Dells....it was this big Russian camping thing for tons of Chi-towners so I went with my pops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow the Protege gets its windows tinted. I`m pretty sure I`m going with 20% all around, like I had on the Maxima. I`m just wondering how the cops are in Stevens Point (where I`m moving to in 2 weeks) about tint. It makes me want 35%, but every time I look at a car with 35% I think "it would look better with 20%"...

I`d find out how the cops are gonna react to the tint before you do it. No point in getting hassled/cited/forced to scrape it off by the side of the road to avoid an impound

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information