Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by liquidtiger720

Than again, who cares what I think right?

Correct.

Orginally posted by liquidtiger720

~ Paint looks great by the way.

Should have left it at that, as it`s true.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

I miss my 03 Cobra...... 03COBRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Caraman

Very nice work! I`m itchin` to try my recent purchase of FK1 2180 sealant and Pink Wax, but as CarsFreak mentioned, we`re in for another noreaster!

Wait until you try the Pink Wax, hard to go back afterwards!

Thomas,

Nice work on both. Your car looks incredible lately in all of the pics you post. Keep up the good work, I know you will.
    PRECISION DETAIL
    NorCal
    2003 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tdekany

According to you from Florida?

Brian.... the wheels are on MY car because *I* like them.

Cars that look like mine are all over Germany/Austria & of course many other Western Europian countries.

Your approval or lack of it is meaningless to me, unless you want me to critique things about you.

Uh, you can do whatever you want your car, I won`t go into technically aspects why undersized tires are dangerous, but have you actually been to Germany and Austria? Not once in any of my visits have I seen any cars with that so called "Euro" look. Besides, excessive rear grip on a fwd car is just bad.

I miss my 03 Cobra...... 03COBRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Thomas I give you credit for sticking to what you like, and only what you like! I myself could never put up with some of the crap that you get from some people about some wheels, I admire you for sticking to what you like.

And to Gbackus, I don`t think Thomas is American, atleast not originally that is! So I would guess he knows a little about what he is talking about! It may or not be a modern style, but it`s what he likes! If he put a tire on the wheel that fit it right, would you still bust his balls about it! Why is rear grip bad on a fwd car anyways!

quote:

Than again, who cares what I think right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct.

quote:

Orginally posted by liquidtiger720

~ Paint looks great by the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should have left it at that, as it`s true.

Well said Mongoose!
    PRECISION DETAIL
    NorCal
    2003 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by O4cobra

And to Gbackus, I don`t think Thomas is American, atleast not originally that is! So I would guess he knows a little about what he is talking about! It may or not be a modern style, but it`s what he likes! If he put a tire on the wheel that fit it right, would you still bust his balls about it! Why is rear grip bad on a fwd car anyways!

To be honest, it doesn`t bother me what he puts on his car, but having a tire that is too large or too small for the rim increases the chance of some kind of blowout or mishap while driving on the road, that puts anyone in the car, or near the car while he is driving at risk, of course I`m blowing this way out of proportion, as the chance of something like this happening is pretty small. The real issue is that the contact patch of the tire is compromised, which can affect handling, ride, etc. If he is willing to live with that, fine, I sometimes drive with DOT legal R compound tires if I`m going to an autocross, which is far more dangerous. My only issue was with claiming that this is some current trendy fad in Europe or Germany/Austria, as I`ve never seen anything like this in the past 8 years or so. Maybe it was popular in the past, I don`t know, but you will not see cars like this "all over Germany/Austria" or whatever at present time.

As far as excessive rear grip on a fwd drive, it`s not so much of a bad thing if you like understeering pigs(think stock Mustang with it`s horrible designed opposed 4 link). Most cars are built with a slight understeer engineered into the suspension because as a rule of thumb, understeer on a car on a public road is much more safe than oversteer, the amount of understeer varies from cars like Mustangs that are understeering pigs, to cars that feel quite neutral like a BMW 3 series. Many rwd cars come with a staggered wheel setup because despite the added mechanical grip causing the car to understeer more, the nature of rwd cars(espcially those with high powered engines) allows to ability to induce oversteer by modulating the throttle through a turn, causing the car to either understeer less, steer neutral through the turn, or oversteer through the turn(this is usually undesirable). The reason you don`t want excessive rear grip on a fwd car is that besides the engineered understeer, fwd tend to understeer in itself in that the weight transfer to the rear wheels causes undesirable reactive kinematics in the suspension. This coupled with the fact that there is no way to induce throttle oversteer in a fwd car, makes for a car with excessive understeering characteristics, which makes an otherwise good speed or lap time, much slower. Of course, unless you are tracking the car or driving like a maniac on public roads, I guess this is a moot point. :nixweiss

Btw, the cars do look great

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by gbackus

Uh, you can do whatever you want your car, I won`t go into technically aspects why undersized tires are dangerous, but have you actually been to Germany and Austria? Not once in any of my visits have I seen any cars with that so called "Euro" look. Besides, excessive rear grip on a fwd car is just bad.

http://www.vw-page.at/ - here you can look around if you so choose.

I am tired of defending my car.

last I heard, a person dies every 17 minutes due to a drunk driver. That is what dangerous. People who drink and drive. I am sure you are part of the rpoblem - now tell me how many people have gotten injured by stretched tires? Go to this site www.keskin-tuning.de and see that they even offer these **undersized** tires for sale with their wheels.

Do you know how big the VW scene is in the States? Yet I am sure that on the road you hardly ever see tuned VWs.

As far as excessive rear grip - no such animal with my car. 8" is all that touches the road. The tire is stretched... remember? 8.5" up front.

FYI - I lived in Austria in 1980-1981 been to Germany. Lived in Australia, (both coasts) LA, New York etc.... I`ll stop there.

:down :down :down :down :argue :argue :argue

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bence

Yes, Thomas meant SCRATCHES, but this is his forever struggle . (TamĂƒÆ’Ă‚¡s, ne vedd megbĂƒÆ’Ă‚¡ntĂƒÆ’Ă‚¡snak!)

BTW, in the old late-80s time some VW Sciroccos, Opel Mantas, Opel Kadetts, etc. had this kinda wheels, but... Now the Germans call it `peinlich`. In the early 90s the Germans had a movie called `Manta, Manta!`. In that movie we saw cars dressed to exactly this aesthetic perception. Absolutely not Euro-style anymore. I am traveling a LOT through EU, and this is not fashionable. Some VW/Opel/Ford subcultures still think that is the way to go...

:nixweiss

And it was not to insult my countrymate, just the experience of an automotive journo (me ).

Hey Bence - I should have said that the VW tuning scene is where you see this style. Sorry about the confusion.

PS: Even though I am not active in the US VW tuning scene anymore, I know more than most of you here (with the exception of Adg44) of what is going on here and Europe. The staggered look is alive and well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CarsFreak

Very good. Love the reflection. Unfortunately for me, a nor`easter is coming tomorrow into Tuesday followed by the usual cold weather.

I usually love the winter from December till about now but then I start hating it since I can`t touch my cars at all.

I tried once but ended out with a glazed Camry if ya know what I mean.

Thanks CarsFreak! We are getting a ton of snow tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry for my post. i didnt say it looked bad...just concered about your safetly.

~ PAINT LOOKS GREAT! do you have any shots in direct sunlight? you get:up :up :up

OT: im not sure if your rear lights came all red (turn signals to be exact)...if not..did you paint them red or buy them red or what? It looks great!:up :up :up
    http://68.6.62.91:81/~photos/albums/...3/bfc_copy.jpg
    ~AIM- liquidtiger720 ~Golden Gate Chapter - BMW CCA ~Josh M. ~San Francisco

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all who commented on ther paint. This is the first time I like my pictures of my car.

Scottwax After the weather gets warmer I will take care of the wheel wells. I can`t use QEW under there.

cvisinho If I were to get a set of Keskin wheels the KT1 would be my choice. What size?

liquidtiger720
    when those tire beads break loose during high speed cornering.
    I had these tires on for over 2 years on the car. *High speed cornering?* Are you a teenager? FYI, I drive this car from point A to point B in traffic like most people.

mrecktid I tried using AIO on the trim but doesn`t work. I mixed 3 tire shines that I had to make one full bottle:AA.303,HotShine. I guess you can use any on the trim

hirosh
    wow, nice, especially your VW, very nice.
    in person the Sienna`s paint looks alot better then mine. I think it is the flat body panels on the Sienna that show otherwise.

just curious, was there any particular reason for going natty`s, #16, then natty`s again? or was that just one of those curious things to try out?
    Yes I just wanted to try something different. Next I want to try pink wax and top it with Natty`s (when I repolish the car)

Axe safe so far.

Caraman make sure to post pictures after using FK1!

O4cobra
    Your car looks incredible lately in all of the pics you post.
    Do you think? Unfortunately in person you will see the flaws (like chips, dents etc...) that the camera doesn`t show.

Post Thanks / Like

~ PAINT LOOKS GREAT! do you have any shots in direct sunlight? you get:up :up :up

OT: im not sure if your rear lights came all red (turn signals to be exact)...if not..did you paint them red or buy them red or what? It looks great!:up :up :up

I used a rotary on the car last time and the only are that has swirls were the rear panels (the sun dissapeared and couldn`t see what results I was getting.

The car is a 2001 and those are stock lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tdekany

Thanks guys - wheels - EURO look = wider wheels in the back with stretched (undersized) tires.

Every time I see this VW here, I scratch my head...Why would Europeans (or anyone) ever want to do this? If this is true, it is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of - "EURO" look. If you want your rear to look like that fine, but damn match up some tires that fit! That bead is going to pop one of these days and you are going to be f*ked...really from a safety perspective you are going to get someone hurt for a foolish reason - this so-called "EURO" look. If those rims are 10.5" you should be running AT LEAST a 285.

...and I have never seen this in Europe either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackcaraddict

Every time I see this VW here, I scratch my head...Why would Europeans (or anyone) ever want to do this? If this is true, it is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of - "EURO" look. If you want your rear to look like that fine, but damn match up some tires that fit! That bead is going to pop one of these days and you are going to be f*ked...really from a safety perspective you are going to get someone hurt for a foolish reason - this so-called "EURO" look. If those rims are 10.5" you should be running AT LEAST a 285.

...and I have never seen this in Europe either.

you do not have to click on my posts. Worry about yourself - I am sure not everything is perfect.:down :down

Post Thanks / Like
    Sick pics!

Probably some of the best paint for any mini-van out there .

Your car looks amazing. The color looks darker and deeper than I have seen it before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

Sick pics!

Probably some of the best paint for any mini-van out there .

Your car looks amazing. The color looks darker and deeper than I have seen it before.

Thanks Sean!

I think it was the time of the day that made the paint look a little darker.

Yes I love the Sienna`s paint. WHen I have a chance, I will redo it. There are some dep swirls the PC couldn`t get out and as I said I have seen new ones as well. Not sure what I want to use yet. Maybe 83/80 fk1 2180 pink wax natty`s

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information