Post Thanks / Like
    well my little brother was having problems with his paint peeling on his 95 camaro. So him and my dad took it upon themselves to paint it. well they did a great job with a few minor flaws here and there. so i told him id help wetsand to see if we can get this thing shining again.

heres the orange peel after the pain was done (30 days old)

our first step was to wetsand the area with 2000, then 2500 and then 3000. I decided to go with the 3000 cause last time i wetsanded my spoiler with 2000 and i had a hard time taking out the scratches. We let the megs papers sit for about 6 hours in water/carwash solution as per the megs video. After the sanding was done this is what we were working on

Post Thanks / Like
    the last process was buffing. I finally had the opportunity to get me a wool pad. Despite all the horror stories we hear about wool pads it wasnt that bad. My initial step was using 3M PI III RC/wool pad at 1700rpms. Even though the speed does seem fast it wasnt too bad it worked out those sanding marks very fast. Next i used the PI IIIRC again but with a megs polishing pad to remove some more left over scratches. My last 2 polishing steps were with Megs DACP/CMA white pad @1500rpms, Finishing it off with Megs 80/CMA Finishing pad @ 1200 rpms. Over all im pleased with the results. I didnt have my PC to remove some little scratches that were left but we were kinda in a time straint cause we were going to see Soulfly

Heres my little brother pretty happy with the results.

heres some direct shots all done with different settings on the camera

Heres a shot with the flash, you can see some mico fine scracthes but like its a lot better than before, when the weather clears up here in TEXAS ill get some shots of the drivers side fender and retake them in direct sunlight. My only method for viewing swirls at that time was a halogen lamp.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    :xyxthumbs looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work!:up Does the rest of the car need painted or am i seeing things? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Look awesome, does the paint have a clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, that is awesome and very inspiring.

my girls car got worked on by hacks and she has some bad orange peel. i would love to take a stab at it, but i have one question.

do you have to use a wool pad, can you use a pc instead of a rotary, and can you use something like IP or SSR2.5 ??

thanks for any info, i am excited about possibly solving her problem, even though it bothers me more than here :nixweiss :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    1SLOW50- yeah the hood bumpers need to be painted. The drivers side fender has been painted too but i didnt get a chance to do that side yet.

Gav~i dont think you need to use a wool pad but it removes the scratches faster than starting with a foam pad, from what ive noticed. i dont know if youd be able to use a pc. If you can remove3000 grit scratches with a pc it may work. Ill try that next weekend when i do that next fender and we`ll see if it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    6`][`9 - Good job, and great pics and explanation :xyxthumbs

Originally posted by 6`][`9

Gav~i dont think you need to use a wool pad but it removes the scratches faster than starting with a foam pad, from what ive noticed. i dont know if youd be able to use a pc. If you can remove3000 grit scratches with a pc it may work. Ill try that next weekend when i do that next fender and we`ll see if it works.

But yeah, gav`spurplez, you oughta be able to do it without a rotary, especially if you use 3K grit and work it carefully. I`ve taken out 2500 sanding scratches with PI-III RC, both by hand and with a PC/Cyclo. But do you *really* want thinner, but better looking, paint on her car?

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME work and write up Jay!!
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    well, it was just a thought that popped into my head now that i saw this thread.

trust me if i posted pics of her paint, it is bad. looks like crumbled up tin foil, " that was attempted to be smoothed out" and then painted

it is just the top of her 2 front fenders and the front bumper :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay......I am impressed with your results:up

See, I told you a wool pad is not all that bad It cuts much faster and in many cases much safer, than a foam pad.

See ya around,

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome work! Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies guys

Thread Information