Post Thanks / Like
    This particular detailing meet was not without challenges. The first challenge was the weather. When we started, it was sunny, later on in the meet, it rained.

But during the time it was sunny, this is what went down:

- lawrencea stopped by and took a look at what we were doing.

he helped the owner of the white Maxima with cleaning rims.

- The same white Maxima had some major league paint issues (read: embedded dirt and oxidation). The guys tried tackling this by hand but it was not going to happen. Therefore, we had to make a run to get a rotary. I went with another Maxima owner to shop for the rotary. We wound up going to a store called Berland`s which literally had EVERY tool you could imagine. We initially looked at the DW849 but walked out with a Makita 9227c bundle with a case, hook and loop pad, and wool polishing pad ($206 with tax). We also stopped by a paint supply store in the next suburb to pick up pads.

When we got back with the goods, we got to work. I took a whack at the front bumper with 3M PI III light cut rubbing compound using the 3M compounding pad. This got rid of the crud killing his pearl finish. I did accidentally burn an edge .

For the upper portions of the car, we took some Menzerna Intensive Polish with a Meguiar`s Polishing foam pad (Big thanks to Deanski :xyxthumbs ) and the finish really began to pop. Many of the attendees were when they saw the pearlescence coming through his finish. Since he also had experience working with a rotary, I turned the buffer over to him and let him finish off the car.

- We had a burgubdy `95 Maxima that had been severely neglected over the years. He washed the car and then clayed it. After he dried it, I took to half of the hood with the Makita and Menzerna IP. He was floored that his car actually had some depth to it and it really piqued his interest as to doing more with the car.

Now, for some pics........

More pics to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I was very glad to be their. I wish that I could have stayed longer and helped out , but I had another place I had to go. Prinz 2 please let me know of any other detailing meets. I would sure like to go. Maybe some day we will have a Autopia Chicago detailing meet.

Post Thanks / Like
    lawrence: We are planning another mini-meet during the week. However, we are working on another major meet at Great Lakes (Naval Base). I`ll let you know about that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I wanna play. I think my car needs some rotary action to get rid of the swirls that DACP can`t touch.

Shoot me an email Prinz for the next one, as I don`t come here as often as I should (been busy sourcing parts for my upcoming turbo swap )

David

david.alfonso@comcast.net

www.blue-sun.net
    Current Rides:

2008.5 Crystal White Mazdaspeed3 (mine)

2008 Ford Edge Vapor Silver (wife`s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, glad to hear the Menzerna got there in time for you to use it at the meet!

I hope you enjoy all the Menzerna I sent you..:xyxthumbs

Let me know what you like about the Menzerna.

The IP does a great job and you could go straight to protection after it, but I like to finish off with the FP, then MP and glaze if needed. On finishing, I use a finish pad to let the polish bunish the finish to a very high gloss. Works well, but you have to use small amounts or the pad gets too loaded. Keep just enough to saturate the pad, then keep it wet as you go along one area, then switch to a dry finish pad and buff off dry then wipe off. Finish should now be a mirror!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deanski:

For applying it, I put 6 dots (about dime sized) on the pad and then moved the bufferback and forth on the finish before turning it on.

We only got to use the IP on the White (Really Glacier Pearl) and on the Burgundy Pearl Maxes. The next day, they had a meet and everyone that saw his car commented on how the car looked just by the IP alone.

We only used a Meguiar`s softbuff polishing pad with the IP on the body of the white Max. For the burgundy one, we went with a 3M compounding pad because this car was heavily oxidized.

We are going to do some rotary practice on a Dodge Neon so that the owner of the Makita can get the feel of using it.

However, don`t be surprised if you see my name added to the roll of Makita owners.

Even his father commented on how the car looked after he saw it that night. Now, he wants us to do his minivan.

We were going to wash and wax his mother`s c230 (hatchback) but the time got away from us.

blue-sun: YGM!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome...Meets are definately fun!

Any pics of the transformation?

Menzerna is definately a great product. I am still amazed when using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    GSR: I am trying to get pics of the transformation.

Thread Information