Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 93 MR2 in Red. It`s a single stage red and I`ve tried alot of different combo`s to get it to *pop*. At best, the car looks best from no closer than 5-6 feet away. Anything closer and you notice all the imperfections.

I`ve tried all the stuff that I have, AIO (by hand and with a PC) NXT, DACP (more than 1 time) etc.

So I read a post here a while back about Diamond Cut on a car with a similar problem. so I went and picked that up and a wool pad.

I finally got around to starting to tackle this problem.

I`m putting the DC on the wool pad as it`s spinning and then bloting it on the paint. I then spread the DC with my PC on 2 or 3 for about 30-45 seconds. Then I kick it up to 6 and go back and forth slowly with no added pressure then I build up the heat bu almost stalling the PC on it. I probably spent a good 5 minutes or more on each panel.

Here are some results that I`ve done so far (got dark and I stopped-I did the drivers side of the door above the black door trim and the drivers 3/4 of the roof and the entire hood.

Drivers Door Before

after

Drivers roof before

Roof After

Front half of roof after

Now a quick question is this.

I think I might be using too much product on my pad. After the few sections that I did, (less than 1/2 of the painted surface) and the wool pad is matted down pretty badly. I had a terry cloth with me to scrub at the pad while but I think I may have been using too much. This is my first time with DC and/or using a wool pad. Does the saying "less is more" stick true with a product like DC? Is it because it`s recomended with a Rotary/Wool combo and I`m doing a PC/Wool?

Thanks!

The rest of the car will get done tomorrow after work followed by DACP (as per the label) then some NXT.

David
    Current Rides:

2008.5 Crystal White Mazdaspeed3 (mine)

2008 Ford Edge Vapor Silver (wife`s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good, waiting for you to finish.

As to your question, I think the gumming could be caused by using DC with a PC and not a rotary. The rotary would definatly generate more heat. Also, this could be a combo of to much product, not enough heat, material removed, wool pad being agressive and not cleaning the pad enough. Do not be afraid to clean the pad multiple time while working the same area.

Did you try using less DC, to see if this corrected the problem?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some products, even though it is claimed, do not handle machines well. They contain ingredients that help with hand but can gum up a wool pad very quickly.

Another solution could be the pad is not being cleaned often enough. Spur your wool pads with a metal spur often and get a short stiff brush type spur for you foam pads. Where ever you got the pads should have both types of spurs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished up a 4 1/2 hour continuance detail from yesterday, this time using less DC and there was a dramitic decrease in the gumming/matting that I experienced yesterday.

The pics are downloading to my Mac as I type.

David
    Current Rides:

2008.5 Crystal White Mazdaspeed3 (mine)

2008 Ford Edge Vapor Silver (wife`s)

Thread Information