Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew it would happen to me eventually. I don`t do cars for profit very much, but I do every once and a while but never like this one. Its a 1996 Mazda 626 with 150,000 miles on the clock, burgundy, never been waxed, hasn`t been washed in at least two years.

Its a mess...

Terrible swirls, road paint spray all over the passenger side. Dog food in the carpets and dog hair in the seats, the brake dust was so bad on the wheels that it actually stained the hubcaps on the front, simple green wouldn`t even budge it. Scrapes down both sides and a hole in the front bumper.

The lady was late dropping it off and didnt get here until 4 so all I had time to do yesterday was wash, clay and do most of the interior. Went through 3/4s of a big Clay Magic bar...

Check it out:

And the swirls

I really think its going to be a stretch getting these out with DACP and the PC, but I tried working some DACP tonight by hand with a terry towel (Scott I dont know how you do this, one 2`x2` section and I was whipped) and it turned out pretty decent so I have high hopes. If I did cars like this more often I would break down and learn how to use a rotary. She`s prepping it to sell so its not a huge deal if all the swirls dont come out and must be hidden.

My plan of action is DACP, GEPC (maybe, wasn`t too impressed with it under NXT on my hood), and NXT.

Afters to come tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a nasty one for sure! But 626`s always seem to clean up real nice in my experience.
    Bryan

2003 Mustang Cobra

SSR2.5/ UPP/ Maintained with TOL Bubble Wash/QEW & QS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the clear seems pretty soft which would explain all of the terrible swirls, but should make it easier for me to get them out.

My guess is they`re coin-op brush marks...

Post Thanks / Like
    :shocked The Horror!

I`ve serviced a green 626 before, and I do agree that it cleans up pretty well.:up
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it done, not bad. All of the swirls didn`t come out. Almost all on the sides, but there was a lot of checking on the hood. roof and trunk signalling impending clearcoat failure so I couldn`t really go at them like I could on the sides. Skipped the GEPC and one coat NXT all around. NXT still impressed me with its hiding capabilities. The car looks 200% better than it did before.

Pics are coming

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve-I can work DACP by hand because I have big muscles. I guess 10 years of detailing by hand works because despite not lifting weights at all (for about 12 years now is why I can still pin my older son`s arm in about 2 seconds when we arm wrestle (he benches about 240 right now).

626s have pretty soft paint. My Dad`s black 626 was certainly cleaner, but it hadn`t been waxed in about 18 months when I went to work on it. Turned out great.

I`m ready to see the after pics any time you are ready to post them.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    See, I`m a little sticky girlie man so that explains it LOL :p

I`m resizing them now... (the pics, not my muscles)

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the afters:

Thin clearcoat kept some of the swirls hanging around...

Much better:

Even 4 hours of detailing can`t fix poor parking...

All in all I dont think there`s any mistaking the improvement:

Whats everybody think?

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT goodnclean, i admire your work, what did the owner have to say? i can imagine she was very impressed. This is not a hijack, but did u find the DACP was easy to use by hand instead of using a PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    You did a great job on such on poorly maintained car. She should shower you with money.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    She hasn`t picked it up yet lol.

She`s a little on the flakey side I think. She was supposed to drop it at 3 yesterday and pick it up at 8, no big deal it would have been done. She runs late and drops it at 5 instead...still wants it by 8. No can do as its almost dark. So we finally agree that she could pick it up by 3 today, she has to have it by 3. I call her at 2:45 to say its done, and she says they`ll be by in a "few hours" so I rushed around for nothing. Still no word from her.

Oh well lol

luke- No I definately prefer DACP via PC

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great improvement. Looks like a freshly repainted car. Tell her that you painted it and see what she says...

With Aloha,

Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    She finally came and picked it up lol.

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    and...and...wot she say

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job man!

Unfortunately, those before pictures are truly representative (IMO) of how most people in the D.C. Metro area treat their cars...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information