Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    A BIG THANK YOU to Scott!!!!!

"Winners Choice" makes the wash. PM or e-mail me and I can tell you more about it.......

Again for Scott :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by butchdave

If its got fuel injection, have you cleaned the throttle body? Can give exactly those symptoms

My car is bucking and surging between 1500-2000 rpm at a steady cruise. It comes and goes. Gas mileage seems unaffected. Was real bad the last time I got on it hard. Ran fine through 1st gear then started to miss or hesitate slightly towards the top of 2nd, then it bucked and surged at all speeds the rest of the way home.

Yes, the whole upper end of the engine was treated and cleaned when I got my emissions testing in April. Ran some fuel injection cleaner through on my last tank. Throttle body was cleaned. My Honda mechanic suggested I recheck all my ECU connections (swapped out the LX one with an EX one about 2 years ago) and all my engine grounds to eliminate any of those possibilities before replacing the fuel pump.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it`s vapor locking? Bad fuel?

Did you try a different brand of gasoline or buy it at a different station you would normally use?

Is it real hot there like here in ABQ?

Vapor-lock weather...

DomZ
    A-A-A-H-H-H-H! Is that spot?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

My car is bucking and surging between 1500-2000 rpm at a steady cruise. It comes and goes. Gas mileage seems unaffected. Was real bad the last time I got on it hard. Ran fine through 1st gear then started to miss or hesitate slightly towards the top of 2nd, then it bucked and surged at all speeds the rest of the way home.

Yes, the whole upper end of the engine was treated and cleaned when I got my emissions testing in April. Ran some fuel injection cleaner through on my last tank. Throttle body was cleaned. My Honda mechanic suggested I recheck all my ECU connections (swapped out the LX one with an EX one about 2 years ago) and all my engine grounds to eliminate any of those possibilities before replacing the fuel pump.

Another possibility is a throttle position sensor. I had that happen on my beater.

Awesome job on the details :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by domZ`sp5

Maybe it`s vapor locking? Bad fuel?

Did you try a different brand of gasoline or buy it at a different station you would normally use?

Is it real hot there like here in ABQ?

Vapor-lock weather...

DomZ

Vapor lock is not normally a problem with fuel injection since the fuel is pressurized. I`ve been having this problem on and off since early May...but my car ran fine when I drove to Kentucky to get my kids and all the way back-almost 2000 miles in 3 days and I got 30-31 mpg at 75-80 mph.

Ran fine today (changed fuel filter yesterday) and when I got home, I cleaned all the engine grounds (actually used 400 grit sandpaper on all the connections so they would be good metal to metal connections). Engine seems smoother and the instrument panel lights were brighter tonight!

----------------------------

End of the ADD session for a minute....washed the Escalade EXT for the owner of the Bentley and Lambo today. He said both cars looked great and he wants a copy of the picture I took!
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by n2_space

Another possibility is a throttle position sensor.

If that is the case, then I`ll be going to Honda Heaven (an all Honda wrecking yard) to get the throttle body since the TPS is riveted in place and you have to buy the throtte body from Honda to get a new TPS.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes! A bad TPS is the only problem my beater has ever had, it was a $40 part Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it have a mass flow air sensor ?

Any sorta problem with those will seem like an electrical misfire.

A guy once told me that 80% of engine problems are electrical, go for the stupidest stuff first.

He was right .. I think of all the folks cars (and mine) that I`ve fixed over the years there was only one that was fuel related.

That was the fuel pump!

Everything else has been plugs/leads/distributor/various sensors/small furry animal stuck in the inlet.

As you said, dorty grounds cause high resistance and things dont work as they should.

Its not always evident what is actually causing the main problem either.

I`m just learning the ins and outs of the Explorers A/C system (yay for me) as its not working and it hit 109 out today.

Post Thanks / Like
    smoker-no mass air flow sensor. O2 sensor is fine or mileage would be off.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Got any pics of that car in your avatar. ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Yeah, that is my Accord. I`ve been having a problem with it surging and bucking between 1500-2000 rpm, and since I`ve tapped and drilled out the EGR passages and replaced all the guts of the distributer and have good plugs and wires, it is either the fuel filter (which I replaced today) or the fuel pump (ouch!).

Sent you PM.
    2003 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
    Sunlight Silver Metallic
    very dirty

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fr0zen

Got any pics of that car in your avatar. ?

I`ve got this bigger one on my website.

I can scan a few of the pictures I have of it (a lot are in black and white because I took them when I was in photography class and all we could develop was black and white), but I do have some color pics. I may just start a new thread since this one has been so ADD.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, a diablo nice, another check off on Scottwax`s to detail list lol, tell me Scottwax is there any particular car you haven`t detailed that you would love to? or have you covered just about all the exotics ect??

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DR Turbo

wow, a diablo nice, another check off on Scottwax`s to detail list lol, tell me Scottwax is there any particular car you haven`t detailed that you would love to? or have you covered just about all the exotics ect??

I`ve never done an Aston Martin, McLaren F1 or an AC Cobra. I have a customer who is going to get an `Eleanor` (68 Shelby Mustang like in Gone in 60 Seconds) once his business fully rebounds (travel related...9/11 vaporized 80% of his business) and I definitely want to detail one of those!

I`ve done muscle cars, street rods, classics, exotics and even a 1958 Edsel! Still haven`t detailed a Daewoo though.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    thats impressive i figured you havent done an F1, seeing how many are out there, and the "Eleanor" would be awesome to say the least, what a car!! it was on some show on TNN this past weekend

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information