Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Guards Red Porsche

It`s been a good while since I posted up any work I have done, it`s also been a long time since I did an involved detail like this. This is an early 80`s Guard Red 911 that was passed down from a father to his son. The father passed away and the son wanted it restored and brought back to life as much as possible. He heard about me thru some friends and brought it to our shop.

I thoroughly enjoyed this as having a guards red Porsche come along, pretty much all original paint (I noticed an area that was repainted) to jst spend some hours on is a joy that is becoming harder and harder to come upon.

So my method was breaking down what I normally do after a thorough wash and paint decon. Placed on the lift, wheels removed and then the taping off of areas.

So I started with a micro fiber cut pad and Meguairs 100/105 as a first step. This was done with a Rupes and also rotary in certain areas.

Second step a dense blue foam polish pad, I have no idea what make it was as I just had it lying around and figured I give it a shot. I like the firm/dense pads with a mild polish, like Sonax Parfait but I also had a test sample of some stuff which is now "Americana" (I think) medium/fine polish which is excellent stuff! I appreciate being a tester on that product.

My final step was a soft finish pad and Menzerna Super Finish. The paint was cleaned, a one year paint coating applied and I actually got to, the next day, lay down some Pinnacle paste wax! So that`s a nut shell break down, engine was also done as was interior which I never took any pics of and that really bums me out.

So now on to the pics. Wheels removed, acid cleaned and polished then coated.

20210406_151307 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210407_181513 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210408_171832 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

Next area is engine bay and wheel wells. The son said his dad washed the Porsche but never really had it properly cleaned and detailed. So just a good amount of road dirt and grime as this Porsche was not a trophy car or garage queen. Had some miles on it.

20210406_111542 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210406_151252 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210406_151247 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210406_111532 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210406_111454 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210416_113248 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210408_171916 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210408_160212 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210407_173625 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210416_113303 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210416_113325 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

A few exterior BEFORE pics showing typical halo scratches, a few areas where a rotary buffer went across it also.

20210406_111201 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210406_111145 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

The rear quarter panel film was really damaged, this alone took a full 6 hours to fully remove. I had it replaced with a black PPF film area that I believe really sets the Porsche off and the owner absolutely loved it.

20210406_111053 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210415_120252 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210407_130126 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210407_115430 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

This next series of pics are during polish process and/or after final wax application.

20210416_120454 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210416_113611 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210416_113501 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210407_160340 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

20210416_132755 by Anthony Orosco, on Flickr

Well that`s about it. I don`t get to do this type of work much anymore but when I do it`s really pure therapy and I love to get lost in it. Thanks for looking!

Happy Detailing!

The Art & Science Of Auto Detail
    Thanks Stokdgs, Older, mgm2003 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guards Red Porsche

Came out very nice!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs, Anthony Orosco liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Came out very nice!!!
    Thank you!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Anthony, mi Hermano !!!
    Oh, so Beautiful !!!!
    You guys really made that Porsche as good or better than new !!!

I know it was a lot of work; you guys knocked it out of the park !!!

The Paint Clarity you did is absolutely Amazing !!!

Thanks for posting this up here - Please give my regards to your Familia, and your Familia at the shop !
    Best, Dan Franco
    Likes Anthony Orosco liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Anthony, mi Hermano !!!
    Oh, so Beautiful !!!!
    You guys really made that Porsche as good or better than new !!!

I know it was a lot of work; you guys knocked it out of the park !!!

The Paint Clarity you did is absolutely Amazing !!!

Thanks for posting this up here - Please give my regards to your Familia, and your Familia at the shop !
    Best, Dan Franco
    Hey Dan, always good to hear from you!

Thank you for the kind words and yes everyone is doing well, family and crew. I actually am no longer owner of Concours Auto Salon. I sold my portion to a friend/customer and he and Ron now run it. I just stop in for coffee and bring donuts every so often!

I am now in the distributor business, well that and also now a certified gun instructor which is another passion of mine.

Take care and happy detailing!
    Likes Stokdgs, grungy, Older liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, grungy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony O:
    Nice to see and hear from you again within this forum.

Excellent detailing workmanship on this quintessential Guards Red Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio with the black top.
    I must agree with the owner that the replacement of the clear PPF with the Black PPF in the lower front of the rear panel does look nice, but I think that "works" because of the black top.
    I will ask one Captain Obvious question and that is, What do you use to clean and protect the black canvas top material and what do you use for the rear window clear plastic of the top?

Nostalgia question: Are you the same detailing person who the now-defunct (AKA, out of business) Top of the Line Detailing Supply referenced in their website as a testimonial for their Top of the Line Wax (don`t remember its name; maybe Trade Secret)? I thought the picture was a dark blue BMW hood using that wax with its deep, mirror-like reflection (think "Merlin Shot" with the palm tree) and stated "by Anthony Orosco of (whatever detailing business name you had at the time)". That has to be from the mid-2000`s (2003-2008)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Anthony O:
    Nice to see and hear from you again within this forum.

Excellent detailing workmanship on this quintessential Guards Red Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio with the black top.
    I must agree with the owner that the replacement of the clear PPF with the Black PPF in the lower front of the rear panel does look nice, but I think that "works" because of the black top.
    I will ask one Captain Obvious question and that is, What do you use to clean and protect the black canvas top material and what do you use for the rear window clear plastic of the top?

Nostalgia question: Are you the same detailing person who the now-defunct (AKA, out of business) Top of the Line Detailing Supply referenced in their website as a testimonial for their Top of the Line Wax (don`t remember its name; maybe Trade Secret)? I thought the picture was a dark blue BMW hood using that wax with its deep, mirror-like reflection (think "Merlin Shot" with the palm tree) and stated "by Anthony Orosco of (whatever detailing business name you had at the time)". That has to be from the mid-2000`s (2003-2008)
    Hello Lonnie, thank you for reading and kind words. Also, yes that was me back in the day with TOL products. Irene was a wonderful lady and we had a great relationship, both as friends and collaborations.

Sadly Irene passed away some years back. Sure do miss talking with her. I got to know her thru snail mail and her homemade catalogues she mailed out every month or so. I remember her calling me one day all excited cause she was having a "website" built!

So to clean fabric tops I pre-soak, so a good rinse with pressure washer BUT with a fan spray nozzle only and always at a good distance. Too close and I could damage the fabric with pressure lines that will never come out! I then spray a diluted APC and brush with a soft bristle fabric brush, in one direction only, typically front windshield to rear. Rinse thoroughly and towel dry as much as possible BUT I recommend waffle weave towels to reduce lint transfer.

Some detailers may use a chamois for this which is fine but I never use a chamois on paint.

Then I may blow dry the material or just air dry as I tackle other areas. Then after dry I usually seal the fabric.

Now for plastic window areas I do this old school with elbow grease and it involves many times a polisher. So on a badly scratched piece I may use a Cyclo dual head polisher with orange pads and a very mild polish, like Menzerna or I will use a Rupes small polisher. Work from an orange pad down to a fine finishing pad.

Thanks again,
    Anthony
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco View Post
    Hey Dan, always good to hear from you!

Thank you for the kind words and yes everyone is doing well, family and crew. I actually am no longer owner of Concours Auto Salon. I sold my portion to a friend/customer and he and Ron now run it. I just stop in for coffee and bring donuts every so often!

I am now in the distributor business, well that and also now a certified gun instructor which is another passion of mine.

Take care and happy detailing!
    Hermano !
    I am so happy to hear that you have retired ! How nice, no?????
    And now a Distributor And a Gun Instructor ??? Wow !!!
    Good for you guys !
    Please tell Ron and the new Partner hi for me, and next time I`m down in S.A., I will stop by and get another car wash..
    My best to you and your loved ones, Hermano !
    Dan Franco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hermano !
    I am so happy to hear that you have retired ! How nice, no?????
    And now a Distributor And a Gun Instructor ??? Wow !!!
    Good for you guys !
    Please tell Ron and the new Partner hi for me, and next time I`m down in S.A., I will stop by and get another car wash..
    My best to you and your loved ones, Hermano !
    Dan Franco
    Hey Dan!

Semi-retired actually but ya it`s really nice so far. Odd thing is, it now seems as I have more stuff to get done!

I will let Ron and the new owner know your wishes, thanks.

Take care,
    Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Superb. I didn`t know you could save that plastic rear window. Great call on the clear PPF. The black looks MUCH better.
    Likes Anthony Orosco, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Superb. I didn`t know you could save that plastic rear window. Great call on the clear PPF. The black looks MUCH better.
    Thank you.

Yes, getting those plastic windows back in shape really can make or break the final outcome. People need to make sure they always clean off the grime and dirt properly before closing the top down as exterior gritty grime scratches the crap out of those windows.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dan!

Semi-retired actually but ya it`s really nice so far. Odd thing is, it now seems as I have more stuff to get done!

Take care,
    Anthony
    Hermano !
    Tks for the reply !
    Yes ! Next time I`m down, I will look you guys up ! We All need to get some of that great food down there in S.A. and take a break !!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dan!

Take care,
    Anthony
    Hey, I know !!!! Retired really means much more to do, but you don`t have to go punch the clock...
    Dan F
    Thanks Anthony Orosco thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job and write up Anthony.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job there, glad to see back Anthony
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes Stokdgs, Anthony Orosco liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information