Post Thanks / Like

21 year old PPF removal!!!

The PPF on this 2002 Porsche Turbo was beyond it`s lifetime by about 16-17 years! LOL Yellow`d, cracked, splitting, crazing, etc. It was time to be removed. So after a `few` hours of work, some steamed & boiled fingertips and 1/2 gallon or so of adhesive remover...it`s off and the vehicle looks great now! Quick polish afterwards and then it was coated.

Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs, 981 Cayman S, 65chevy liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 21 year old PPF removal!!!

Oh man, that must have been torture removing that stuff. Looks fantastic after!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! It was...wouldn`t wish this for my worst enemy! LOLZ
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott !!!

Congratulations on a just beautiful, perfect, recovery of that beautiful paintwork underneath !!! Beautiful job, Scott !!!

Yes, I also know about ppf removal... I just use my heat gun carefully; and actually, the hardest part After ppf removal is ALL that glue that stays on the paint...

Even though it might seem this part is easier, to me it is not because there is so much of it, and it does not necessarily want to just come off easily...

Thanks for all that really Detailed work !!!! You Killed it !!!!

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Sizzle Chest:
    Some Captain Obvious questions (what else is new..):
    1a) What is the manufacturer and model of the steamer that you used? (You PM`d before that you had one; just never said what kind..)
    1b) I assume it is the tip of the steamer nozzle/head that I see in the one photo. Is there a special nozzle or fitting that you use for PPF removal?
    2) What manufacturer and name-brand adhesive remover did you use?
    3) How long time-wise did this PPF removal process take? (Never mind: I see the term "Few hours" in your post! I assume it`s an all-day labor)
    4) Anything "different" that you would do if you had to do this same thing over again (IE; What did you learn) OR did you try anything with this particular old PPF removal that did not work as it may have on newer PPF removals that you have done? OR was this your first PPF removal ever??
    5) Was it only the front two fenders, hood, and front fascia/bumper that required PPF removal?
    6) Seeing the difficulty with this particular old PPF removal, will you continue to offer this service on a "only-if-the-customer-asks" basis? IE, it is NOT something you would add or advertise on your business website.
    7) I assume in the photo of removing the PPF from the hood that the large white towel/sheet over each of the the fenders was to protect them, as the PPF have been removed from them first before doing the same to the hood. Was this protection material old towels or old bed sheets or something else?

I will wait for the rest of the detailing photos of this Porsche. Or is this what-you-see-is-what-you-get within this thread??
    The current photos speak for themselves. (except for the more detailed answers to the Captain Obvious questions!)

Removing old PPF is something I need to learn about, but to do it on my own without someone else`s guidance or expertise, is a little daunting to try to do so, hence all my questions. I occasionally see old, starting-to-peel or stone chipped OEM (or dealer-installed when the vehicle was new) PPF on lower rocker panels or front fenders next to the wheel wells on vehicles.
    I wonder if your PPF removal process would work for tinted window film as well.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Scott !!!

Congratulations on a just beautiful, perfect, recovery of that beautiful paintwork underneath !!! Beautiful job, Scott !!!

Yes, I also know about ppf removal... I just use my heat gun carefully; and actually, the hardest part After ppf removal is ALL that glue that stays on the paint...

Even though it might seem this part is easier, to me it is not because there is so much of it, and it does not necessarily want to just come off easily...

Thanks for all that really Detailed work !!!! You Killed it !!!!

Dan F

Thanks Dan!! I tried my heat gun on the mirrors...it literally just melted the PPF/glue into one big mess. I found that steam worked much better on this application.

So...you know my pain! LOL!!!!

Thanks for the kind words!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Sizzle Chest:
    Some Captain Obvious questions (what else is new..):
    1a) What is the manufacturer and model of the steamer that you used? (You PM`d before that you had one; just never said what kind..) McCullough. Forget the model number.
    1b) I assume it is the tip of the steamer nozzle/head that I see in the one photo. Is there a special nozzle or fitting that you use for PPF removal Yes, that`s the steamer`s tip. No special tip that I use. Just want direct steam to the area.
    2) What manufacturer and name-brand adhesive remover did you use? Rapid Tac Adhesive Remover. Works wonders, and really like this. Will use it again and again if needed...
    3) How long time-wise did this PPF removal process take? Too long! All day...10hrs or so.
    4) Anything "different" that you would do if you had to do this same thing over again (IE; What did you learn) OR did you try anything with this particular old PPF removal that did not work as it may have on newer PPF removals that you have done? OR was this your first PPF removal ever?? I`ve done a couple before. Different? Yes! I will find someone else to pay to do this work! HAHAHA
    5) Was it only the front two fenders, hood, and front fascia/bumper that required PPF removal? Mirrors, fenders, hood fascia.
    6) Seeing the difficulty with this particular old PPF removal, will you continue to offer this service on a "only-if-the-customer-asks" basis? IE, it is NOT something you would add or advertise on your business website. I do not offer this service. Case by case basis for special clients only.
    7) I assume in the photo of removing the PPF from the hood that the large white towel/sheet over each of the the fenders was to protect them, as the PPF have been removed from them first before doing the same to the hood. Was this protection material old towels or old bed sheets or something else? It was to prevent the adhesive remover from going everywhere, especially on the liner of the `frunk`. It was an old beach towel.

I will wait for the rest of the detailing photos of this Porsche. Or is this what-you-see-is-what-you-get within this thread??
    The current photos speak for themselves. (except for the more detailed answers to the Captain Obvious questions!)

Removing old PPF is something I need to learn about, but to do it on my own without someone else`s guidance or expertise, is a little daunting to try to do so, hence all my questions. I occasionally see old, starting-to-peel or stone chipped OEM (or dealer-installed when the vehicle was new) PPF on lower rocker panels or front fenders next to the wheel wells on vehicles.

That particular vehicle had already been corrected and coated by me a while back. So no further pictures unfortunately!

It`s not all that bad Lonnie, just very time consuming. Your hands/back/etc will be wrecked from it! Ha! If you go low and slow with the removal, I feel that you minimize the risk of the clear/paint being pulled with the removal of the film. I`ve seen vehicles that have had it lift when being removed...next stop-body shop for a respray.

Again, thanks for all of your interaction here!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post

Thread Information