Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

World Rally Blue 2022 BRZ Meets Gyeon Pure Evo

...and the results are spectacular!

This car actually came home to my garage in late January, but weather and life meant it saw nothing but frequent washes and an application of Griots 3 in 1 until time allowed for a proper detail job. Memorial Day weekend provided the opportunity to give this little rocket the attention it deserves.

For this job I ran a standard process.
    1. Washed with Hyperwash
    2. Synthetic clay with the Blackfire clay mitt
    3. Polish
    4. Prep with Eraser
    5. Coated with Gyeon Pure Evo

Polishing the car was rather uneventful. The dealership respected my wishes to not prep the car, so the only damage needing correction was the few swirls installed by the attendants caring for cars at the annual auto show before I took delivery. I used both my G15 and G8 polishers and a variety of medium polishing pads I have on hand. With some of the strange contours and shapes of this car, the G8 really proved it`s worth and I used it more on this car than any other so far. For polish, I started out with SONAX 04/06 but quickly found it didn`t have enough cut to pull off a one-step job like I was wanting. It created good gloss, but even with a medium polishing pad I wasn`t getting as much correction as I hoped. This little Subi`s paint seems to be a touch harder than our Toyota`s. This finding led me to right to Griots Finishing Cream. It provided just enough correction for the swirls and really created great gloss on the paint. Despite being new, polishing the paint made it noticeably shinier.

Pure Evo went on with little drama. Despite changing temps and humidity the coating still kept a pretty long flash time. In fact, on a car this small, it was almost too long. At one point I found myself with most of the passenger side covered and I was waiting around for the coating to flash. Once flashed removal was pretty easy; a touch more difficult and grabby than CQUK 3.0, but not difficult by any measure. I`m still adjusting to using the coating applicator pads vs a mf swatch and a foam block. This lead me to apply it a little heavy at the start, but I soon realized how far I could really go with the few drops applied to the provided applicator.

When I was first finished I liked the results, but was a little disappointed. It didn`t look that much different than when I was done polishing. A couple hours later I checked on it and noticed a bit more gloss. Couple hours later...a bit more. When I checked in on it the next morning; WOW, that dipped in glass look I was after was in full effect. I drove the car a bit and then had to park it outside in the sun, and I`m pretty sure the gloss continued to improve. I know some people feel nothing really changes as a coating cures, but I don`t agree. I think both CQUK and now Pure Evo both improve as it cures. If you don`t agree, I`m willing to duel at dawn with pool noodles to defend my honor.

Enough talking, you all came here for the pictures. Enjoy!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: World Rally Blue 2022 BRZ Meets Gyeon Pure Evo

That car just pops right now!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What great paint now!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet color.

Great Job!

Post Thanks / Like

Good choice on color. It really pops now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a beautiful car World Rally Blue 2022 BRZ Meets Gyeon Pure Evo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone!

I was pretty happy with the choice of color, but in the back of my mind I always wondered if I`d like the darker blue better. A couple of weeks ago I finally saw a car in the darker color, and I`m quite happy with my choice.

The pictures really don`t do the car justice with the lowered resolution levels and the slight darkening of the image because of light levels at the time. The level of "dipped in glass" appearance just doesn`t come across very well. Even my wife, who rarely pays attention and simply tells me the vehicles look good to be nice, commented on how great the car looked. Polishing combined with the Pure Evo is a home run.
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks, everyone!

I was pretty happy with the choice of color, but in the back of my mind I always wondered if I`d like the darker blue better. A couple of weeks ago I finally saw a car in the darker color, and I`m quite happy with my choice.

The pictures really don`t do the car justice with the lowered resolution levels and the slight darkening of the image because of light levels at the time. The level of "dipped in glass" appearance just doesn`t come across very well. Even my wife, who rarely pays attention and simply tells me the vehicles look good to be nice, commented on how great the car looked. Polishing combined with the Pure Evo is a home run.
    Definitely right choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate:
    Late to the party here, but you new World Rally Blue Subaru BZR looks better-than fantastic. Maybe it is just my affinity to that particular blue hue, so my judgmental visual description is somewhat prejudiced.

Anyway, thank you for your written description about the polishing process and comparing the Sonax 04/06 polish with Griots`s Garage Perfecting Finish Polish. I also find your evaluation of this Suby`s paint as being "touch hard" compared to Toyota`s being somewhat surprising, considering Subaru`s have had the reputation of having soft to very soft paint (clear coat). What specific pads did you use with the GG-PF on the G8 polisher?

The Pure Evo application process is well written as well. What specific manufacturer and type of applicator did you use and the same question for the microfiber did you use for wipe-off with this coating?

I just wonder why and what factors you considered for using this particular Pure Evo coating for this car. Just curious..
    Cannot knock or disagree with the final outcome.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up. Only used Moh evo on the new line up. Been happy both seem great. Only thing I notice is It seemed like I used a ton product. On a car I coated plenty of times and always had half of 30 ml bottle left done but when I used the whole Evo Mohs. Was Pure this way too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Nice write up. Only used Moh evo on the new line up. Been happy both seem great. Only thing I notice is It seemed like I used a ton product. On a car I coated plenty of times and always had half of 30 ml bottle left done but when I used the whole Evo Mohs. Was Pure this way too?
    I think I used a proportional amount when remembering back to other vehicles I`ve coated recently with CarPro CQUK or TiO2. With those coatings I could do a car like a BMW 435 or a Dodge Charger with about 20ml of product. This car required about 15ml. I have roughly half of my 30ml bottle left over.

For me, I think it is a learning process going from using the traditional mf fabric swatch and a form block to an applicator like you get with Gyeon. I`ve only used a applicator pad one or two times before working on this car. With the swatch/block I figured out how much product to apply each time years ago. With the applicators, I have to re-learn the process.

When I started applying Pure to the car, I realized I was going way to heavy. As the work continued, I was able to adjust how much product I needed to add and I throttled back quite a bit. I noticed my "burn rate" of product slowed down quite a bit as I progressed. Most of the product I used was probably on the first 1/3 of the car. If I coated the car again today, I`m pretty sure I`d use a little less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think I used a proportional amount when remembering back to other vehicles I`ve coated recently with CarPro CQUK or TiO2. With those coatings I could do a car like a BMW 435 or a Dodge Charger with about 20ml of product. This car required about 15ml. I have roughly half of my 30ml bottle left over.

For me, I think it is a learning process going from using the traditional mf fabric swatch and a form block to an applicator like you get with Gyeon. I`ve only used a applicator pad one or two times before working on this car. With the swatch/block I figured out how much product to apply each time years ago. With the applicators, I have to re-learn the process.

When I started applying Pure to the car, I realized I was going way to heavy. As the work continued, I was able to adjust how much product I needed to add and I throttled back quite a bit. I noticed my "burn rate" of product slowed down quite a bit as I progressed. Most of the product I used was probably on the first 1/3 of the car. If I coated the car again today, I`m pretty sure I`d use a little less.
    Is it an oil slick type of flash or is it the sweating micro beads? MOHS was a micro bead sweating one. Im usually stingy when applying a coating maybe I was heavy on application I used a saver autofiber too.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s very much an oil slick rainbow flash. One thing I found interesting is the flashing appeared really quickly, but the coating was not ready to buff out. It has a long flash time and I had to let it sit for a few minutes to prevent any smearing while buffing it out. I resorted to a finger swipe rather than watching to flashing to make sure it was ready. A lot like you do with some sealants.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that something mohs and pure are completely different. Gyeon was smart getting the prices down too. Prob be the next coating ai get is pure

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you’ve had the car for a little over a year, how are you liking it? As entertaining as it appears to be?

Thanks for any updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes Oneheadlite, Coatings=crack, dwaleke liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information