Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: His & hers 2022 Ford Escape SEL Hybrid SWD..3

Thanks for making my Ford stocks more valuable.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Len_A1 liked this post
    Thanks Len_A1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Lonnie, I don`t think there are any Federal tax subsidies for hybrids, only for plug-in or full electric. We had that odd-even here in NJ in `79 also. I looked for a long time for a 240/260Z, but I was never able to find one that wasn`t completely rusted out or had been fully rebuilt in a way I didn`t like (I wanted a rebuildable one to do the way I wanted). The 280`s were considered too heavy and not amenable enough to engine mods...I have no idea where I got that from, but I must have read something at the time that if you wanted a project car it should be a 240 or 260. Probably just as well I never found one.
    Still the 280Z was a VERY nice affordable sports car in the late 70`s. My `77 280Z had fuel injection and a supposedly rare optional 5-speed. Rode very nice, handled well enough for me and I put Michelin H-rated tires on it after the OEM Bridgestones became worn, and was often referred to as a Japanese Jaguar. The young man I bought it from had put in a CB radio, so I could hear the banter from the truckers about where the "Smokeys" or Bears" (CB lingo for police patrol) were sitting. Yes, it saved my behind more than once. I think I went by the CB handle (IE, identifying CB contact nickname) of "Jap Jag", but I don`t remember.

You are right, they did rust out. I never drove mine in the winter. I eventually traded the `77 280Z in on a used `79 Indy Pace-car edition Ford Mustang because I was enamored with it at the time, being a big Ford fan (don`t even go there! BIGGEST automotive buying faux pah I ever made). I looked for a 280Z to replace it and I found one locally, but it had a rusted frame and sounded terrible. I did find a `80 280ZX at a local dealer, and I made the trade with my Mustang, BUT it was a piece of junk compared to the 280Z, more because it was not properly cared for by the previous owner (ANOTHER automotive buying faux pah). i did trade in the 280ZX for a new `83 Toyota Supra (the new wedge-shaped design) WHICH I totaled out about 5-1/2 months after owning it in mid-November when I fell asleep behind the wheel only a mile from home when I was coming home from working a night shift because we only had a few Computer-Aided Drawing and Design (CADD) terminals in the engineering department of a paper converting machine company I was employed by at the time. Seat belts (no air bags back then!) and the merciful hand of God saves lives. The Supra was replaced by, get this, an `83 Subaru On-demand 4WD GL wagon with a 4-speed OD manual tranny and an on-demand HI-LO 4WD shift differential box (otherwise it was just front-wheel drive). THAT was a very nice car for going back-and-forth on a 75-mile a day commute from home to work in the winter. Just could not go fast AT ALL and because it had a carburetor, when it was extremely cold, it never got over 65 MPH because the carb would ice up. That was OK because the speed limit max was 55MPH back then thanks to President Ragan`s mandate on ALL highways in an effort to conserve fuel. Story`s no one cares about anymore, anyway!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Len_A1:
    Thanks for returning to this forum from "way-back-when" AND on the leasing of your new Ford Escape Hybrids. I am not sure how the discounts or incentives "work" (government subsidies???) for your leasing, but if it gets potential vehicle leasee`s into hybrids over internal-combustion engine (ICE) vehicles, so be it.
    It was, indeed, time to "upgrade" from your older Fords, but like many individuals, with the current market price of either new OR used vehicles, its not economically feasible to buy or lease a different vehicle, as much as some may want to. Also glad to see you kept your vehicle choice in the Ford family. I am kinda in that situation and would LOVE to be driving a "slightly" used 2017-2019 Subaru Outback, but my mom`s 2006 Ford Freestyle AWD SEL that we bought from her estate in 2013 will have to suffice for the time being. So yes, I know what it is like to drive and maintain an older vehicle, albeit that it is paid for. I have come to the economic conclusion that either your are making car loan (or lease) payments for a new car OR making occasional (expensive) repair and maintenance bills, and yes, there does come time to consider the return-on-investment (AKA, the proverbial "that vehicle is nickel-and-diming me to death.") of what becomes more-than-occasional (expensive) repair expenses. With gas being around $4.00 a gallon here locally in Wisconsin and having to spend close to $80.00 on an empty tank fill-up, it makes me wish I had a vehicle that gets (a lot) better gas mileage, BUT, again, the trade-off is between making car loan or lease payments OR buying more gas. If gas goes up to $5.00 per gallon, your choice of leasing a new vehicle starts to "obscure" by older vehicle ownership economic logic.

OR worse, that gas is rationed because of short supplies this spring and early summer. Don`t laugh!!! It happened in May of 1979. Gas was "rationed" at 10 gallons every-other-day for unleaded gas, depending on your license plate number. My used 1977 Datsun 280Z (Yes, one of those cars you wished you had back!) burned regular leaded gas (needed for pre-catalytic vehicles back then), which was NOT rationed, so I could fill up as needed. Good thing because I was commuting about 75 miles round-trip a day for my engineering drawing (AKA drafting) job back then.

Please keep us informed on your detailing exploits with these vehicles.
    Thanks!

We initially were thinking about certified preowned cars, but supply was very low. There aren`t any more tax incentives that I`m aware of. I think once an automaker hits a certain total number sold, that`s it. Now it`s only plug-in hybrids and full electrics that get some tax rebates.

It ended up that there wasn`t much of a monthly difference in the monthly payments between a regular gas engine Escape and a hybrid, and I`m really liking ding city driving in the low to mid 40`s.

Just did my first driveway wash of both cars. Used Griot`s Garage Glass Sealant, and it both rain and rinse water rinses quite well. Longevity is the "we`ll see" question. After using Meguiar`s M20 on the paint, a week ago, I decided to try some Griot`s Garage Best of Show Spray wax on both. Planning on that being a "once a month" habit. Damn it. The detailing bug bit me again.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Thanks for making my Ford stocks more valuable.
    You`re welcome!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information