Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Original single stage metallic 1979 Trans Am!

So my engine tuner and builder Don Kinder of Slowhawk performance in Bridgewater has been tinkering with this Nocturn blue 79 TA. Like most he can never leave it stock so out came the 301/4speed and in went a A/A Vortec supercharged LS motor with a 6 speed. This car is a blast to drive. Fun fast and loud!

This car is pretty clean considering the age. Especially the original camel colored interior.

The single stage metallic paint was a swirled mess and definitely needed some brightening. Given the age some things couldn`t be fixed. Like the front and rear bumpers and some of the ground effects.

Foamed wash with Hyper wash.

Decon with nanoskin handy towel

Wheels/tires- McKee foaming wheel cleaner gel, LATA, Hyper dressing

Paint- M100/M205- Rupes Duetto/swirl killer mini

Lsp- High Def Paint Sealant

Interior- Mckees 70/30 leather shampoo, IGL dash uv protectant, McKees carpet and upholstery cleaner

After wash and decon

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Thanks xspwrstang, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Original single stage metallic 1979 Trans Am!

Thank you for restoring the natural beauty.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Always preferred the Firebird`s over the Camaro`s ( still will take either though). Looks great!! Very nice job
    Likes Ronkh, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job!

I`m not usually a fan of gold wheels, but that color combo is killer!

Post Thanks / Like

Love those cars; not the fastest but what was back in 1979? Friend had a black/gold one and man, did we think we were the sh*t rolling around in that thing way back when.

Good to hear Slowhawk still doing his thing; back when we were deciding what to do with the Vette, he was extremely well regarded in the LS community. Pondered driving up from NE Ohio to have him do the headers and tune; his reputation was that good.

Post Thanks / Like

Justin:
    When you say that some of the plastic pieces, like the bumpers and ground effects, could not be "fixed", is this because they have a "different" paint on them due to the plastic?? I noticed it says "original single-stage metallic" in the thread subject line. The OEM paint looks in fantastic shape for the age of the car.
    Did you apply the IGL dash protectant to the leather as well or does the McKee`s leather shampoo leave them looking that way (IE; shiny)?? Again, the leather looks in excellent shape for the age of the car.
    When compounding/polishing the paint, did you tape off the edges of the decals?? Again, decals look in pretty good shape if they are the OEM ones that came with car. Someone preserved and care for this particular vehicle!

I must also comment on the McKee`s37 emblem/decal on the red (air compressor or water treatment??) canister/tank I see in the background in one of the pictures.

Thanks for improving upon the preservation of a late 70`s muscle car (what little there was back then). Performance GM F-body`s (their designation for the Chevy Camaro Z-28 and Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am frame and suspension design they shared) are still highly sought after. I ordered a new `79 Camaro Z-28 with a black exterior and gold interior, but in came in with a black interior, so I refused it. Good thing! I ended up buying a used `77 Datsun (Nissan) 280Z with a rare 5-speed that could burn regular leaded gas because of the fuel injection it came with. Most vehicles after 1974 required unleaded gas to be burned due to new emission laws and the required catalytic converters needed to meet those regulations and, hence, the use of unleaded fuel. I say "good thing" because the US Embassy take-over and hostage incident in Iran caused a gas shortage in mid-1979 that led to the rationing of unleaded gas where you could only get 10 gallons of gas every 2 days based on your even-or-odd license plate number or no gas at all, if gas stations ran out. Commuting 65 miles round-trip daily from home to work would not have allowed me to buy enough gas for the Z28 to do that, BUT because the 280Z burned regular leaded fuel, I could get all the gas I needed at that time. The gas rationing lasted about 3-4 weeks and made the USA realize how dependent we were on OPEC (Organization of Petroleum-Exporting Countries) oil and was the impetus for federal legislation for nation-wide 55-mph speed limits. (More personal and history lessons than I needed to know!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yamabob View Post
    Always preferred the Firebird`s over the Camaro`s ( still will take either though). Looks great!! Very nice job
    Thanks! Yeah I really like these cars but also have a thing for the early 70s split bumper Camaro!

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    Great Job!

I`m not usually a fan of gold wheels, but that color combo is killer!
    I agree! The combo works!

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Love those cars; not the fastest but what was back in 1979? Friend had a black/gold one and man, did we think we were the sh*t rolling around in that thing way back when.

Good to hear Slowhawk still doing his thing; back when we were deciding what to do with the Vette, he was extremely well regarded in the LS community. Pondered driving up from NE Ohio to have him do the headers and tune; his reputation was that good.
    Thanks bud. Yup he is cranking out work and staying very busy. I have been doing business with him since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Justin:
    When you say that some of the plastic pieces, like the bumpers and ground effects, could not be "fixed", is this because they have a "different" paint on them due to the plastic?? I noticed it says "original single-stage metallic" in the thread subject line. The OEM paint looks in fantastic shape for the age of the car.
    Did you apply the IGL dash protectant to the leather as well or does the McKee`s leather shampoo leave them looking that way (IE; shiny)?? Again, the leather looks in excellent shape for the age of the car.
    When compounding/polishing the paint, did you tape off the edges of the decals?? Again, decals look in pretty good shape if they are the OEM ones that came with car. Someone preserved and care for this particular vehicle!

I must also comment on the McKee`s37 emblem/decal on the red (air compressor or water treatment??) canister/tank I see in the background in one of the pictures.

Thanks for improving upon the preservation of a late 70`s muscle car (what little there was back then). Performance GM F-body`s (their designation for the Chevy Camaro Z-28 and Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am frame and suspension design they shared) are still highly sought after. I ordered a new `79 Camaro Z-28 with a black exterior and gold interior, but in came in with a black interior, so I refused it. Good thing! I ended up buying a used `77 Datsun (Nissan) 280Z with a rare 5-speed that could burn regular leaded gas because of the fuel injection it came with. Most vehicles after 1974 required unleaded gas to be burned due to new emission laws and the required catalytic converters needed to meet those regulations and, hence, the use of unleaded fuel. I say "good thing" because the US Embassy take-over and hostage incident in Iran caused a gas shortage in mid-1979 that led to the rationing of unleaded gas where you could only get 10 gallons of gas every 2 days based on your even-or-odd license plate number or no gas at all, if gas stations ran out. Commuting 65 miles round-trip daily from home to work would not have allowed me to buy enough gas for the Z28 to do that, BUT because the 280Z burned regular leaded fuel, I could get all the gas I needed at that time. The gas rationing lasted about 3-4 weeks and made the USA realize how dependent we were on OPEC (Organization of Petroleum-Exporting Countries) oil and was the impetus for federal legislation for nation-wide 55-mph speed limits. (More personal and history lessons than I needed to know!)
    So for whatever the bumpers and ground effects are slap worn out and super thin. Which seems to happen to these cars a lot. Most likely due to the material used.

I did use the IGL dash on the whole interior to add a bit of uv protection. The factory seats really aren`t leather but more of a vinyl.

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great result and very cool car. As a general rule, do you treat single stage paint any different than modern clear coats?

Post Thanks / Like

[Accumulator`s first Fun Car was a `77 TA and he loves ss metallic paint...]

Justins00ss- Hey great work, and I love that it`s original and in an uncommon color.

Lonnie- They botched up the order on my `77 too, but I was a lucky kid to get it so no refusal here. The front half of the rear wheelwell flares got abraded with stones/etc. something awful, looked like [crap] within a few K miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    Great result and very cool car. As a general rule, do you treat single stage paint any different than modern clear coats?
    To be quite honest with you, I will probably get flack for this but NO I don`t. Unless there`s special circumstances involved.

Here`s my reasoning behind it. Weather I`m polishing clear coat, tinted clear coat or single stage I am abraiding the surface and removing material. Weather it be clear coat or actual paint. Only difference is that I have to change pads more often and blow them out between every pass to keep them from gumming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    [Accumulator`s first Fun Car was a `77 TA and he loves ss metallic paint...]

Justins00ss- Hey great work, and I love that it`s original and in an uncommon color.

Lonnie- They botched up the order on my `77 too, but I was a lucky kid to get it so no refusal here. The front half of the rear wheelwell flares got abraded with stones/etc. something awful, looked like [crap] within a few K miles.
    Thanks bud. I guess between the color, interior color and the type of t tops its a pretty uncommon optioned car. Something to do with the t tops only being a certain California type t top.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to restore a Thunder Chicken!

Nice Work! I came out sweet.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Nice Work! I came out sweet.
    but what about the car? hehe

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! Looks great! Nice car! (now!)
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Very subtle resto-mod type additions. Those new snowflake wheels look stock. And that interior looks great for nearly 40 years old. Awesome work, thanks for sharing.

Does your customer want a 1998 Trans Am with an LS and 8,400 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! With that engine it`s a muscle car how it where suposed to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information