Post Thanks / Like
    The owner of this vehicle contacted me because he had noticed his paint didn`t have the gloss and shine that it should. He had told me that the previous owner had taken the vehicle through automatic car washes regularly, and that the dealership had also washed it on numerous occasions. Upon my initial inspection, it was clear that the vehicle would definitely benefit from a proper paint correction to remove many of the defects that covered the surface. The owner was also interested in a long term protection for his vehicle as it is driven all year round. For this, we used the newest product from Optimum Polymer Technologies called Gloss Coat. This ceramic coating will help to provide years of durable protection and gloss when properly maintained. After many, many hours of work, the paint looked gorgeous! Check it out.
    `
    `
    Process
    Tires: Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Tire Brush
    Wheels: Sonax FE & Iron X with Wheel Woolies, Boars Hair Wheel Brush, and other misc tools/brushes
    Wash: CG Citrus Wash
    Iron Removal: CarPro Iron X
    Tar Removal: Stoner Tarminator
    Decontamination: Nanoskin Fine Grade Mitt with Glide as Lubrication
    Tape off areas of concern
    Paint Thickness Measurements Taken
    Compounding/Cutting: HD Cut & M101 on Meguiar`s MF Cutting Pad via Rupes LHR21ES & Rupes LHR75e
    Polishing: `CarPro Reflect on Rupes Yellow Foam via Rupes LHR21ES & Rupes LHR75e
    Surface Prep: CarPro Eraser
    Ceramic Paint Coating: Optimum Gloss Coat
    Exhaust Tips: CG Metal Polish + Protection. `Inner surfaces & heavy buildup with #0000 Steel Wool. `All other surfaces with MF towel by hand.
    Glass: Meguiar`s D120 & DI Glass Towels
    Tire Dressing: CarPro PERL (1:1) 2 coats
    Wheel Sealant: CarPro HydrO2
    `
    `
    `
    Before
    `
    The vehicle arrived with a fair amount of dirt and contamination on it

`

`

`
    `
    `
    `
    The wheels were covered with brake dust and road grime

`
    `
    `
    `
    The exhaust was very dull and had a thick layer of carbon buildup on the tips

`
    `
    `
    `
    `
    During
    `
    As always, we began with the wheels & tires. Notice how dull the wheels look.

`
    `
    `
    `
    First, the tires were cleaned. The tire cleaner will turn brown as it is agitated when there is dirt present.

`
    `
    `
    `
    The tires are rinsed and scrubbed numerous times until the cleaner remains white which indicates they tires are clean.`

`
    `
    `
    `
    Next, the wheels are thoroughly covered with wheel cleaner and left to dwell.

`
    `
    `
    `
    As the wheel cleaner reacts with embedded brake dust, it turns to a bright purple as it works to loosen the contamination from the wheels all before I even begin cleaning.

`
    `
    `
    `
    The barrels were then cleaned, and an immense amount of grime was removed (notice the river of dirt flowing onto the ground)

`
    `
    `
    `
    The faces were then cleaned, and the wheels were now bright and alive.

`
    `
    `
    `
    The wheels were sealed to provide a temporary barrier between the surface of the wheels and the environment. This sealant will make them easier to clean while it lasts.

`

`

`
    `
    `
    `
    The exterior of the vehicle was then washed and decontaminated. Here is a friendly reminder of why we use the 2 bucket washing method to clean the paint. The wash water stays nice and clean while the rinse water is filled with the dirt that is being removed from the surface. This is the safest way to wash your vehicle as it ensures you are not wiping harmful debris on your paint while washing.

`
    `
    `
    `
    Once the paint was clean, it was then inspected for defects. The overhead fluorescent lighting was all that was needed to see this paint had some serious defects in it.

`
    `
    `
    `
    The paint thickness was also checked, and was found to be quite thin. This means we will have to proceed with caution and will not be able to safely remove many of the heavier defects. As always, we are more concerned with the safety of our customer`s vehicles than with achieving a flawless finish... especially on a vehicle this is driven everyday and will accumulate more defects overtime.

`
    `
    `
    `
    We began our correction process on the hood. Notice the scratches are quite severe in many areas.

`
    `
    `
    `
    The vast majority of the defects were removed during the compounding process.`

`
    `
    `
    `
    Fender before correction

`
    `
    `
    `
    Fender after compounding

`
    `
    `
    `
    Door before correction

`
    `
    `
    `
    50/50 of door after compounding

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Upper section of door before correction

`
    `
    `
    `
    After compounding

`
    `
    `
    `
    Rear quarter before correction

`
    `
    `
    `
    Rear quarter after compounding

`
    `
    `
    `
    Rear bumper before correction

`
    `
    `
    `
    Rear bumper after compounding

`
    `
    `
    `
    The trunk was in very poor shape

`
    `
    `
    `
    50/50 on trunk

`
    `
    `
    `
    Trunk after compounding. Many deeper scratches remain, but overall color and clarity was greatly improved.

`
    `
    `
    `
    `
    Rear bumper before correction

`
    `
    `
    `
    Rear bumper after compounding

`
    `
    `
    `
    Door before correction

`
    `
    `
    `
    Door after compounding

`
    `
    `
    `
    Door before correction

`
    `
    `
    `
    Door after compounding

`
    `
    `
    `
    This 50/50 shot shows the depth and richness that is achieved with the final finishing polish. The right hand side has been polished to remove the haze that was left after compounding. The metallic flake really comes alive with this refinement.

`

`
    `
    `
    `
    50/50 on the door pillars (this paint was extremely thin! <50 microns, so only a medium polish was used)

`
    `
    `
    `
    After the paint was fully corrected and wiped down with Eraser, I began to apply Optimum Gloss Coat.

`
    `
    `
    `
    You can see the initial application on this panel (this was roughly 45 seconds after start of application)

`
    `
    `
    `
    After a couple of minutes the majority of the product had flashed away and only some heavier spots remained

`
    `
    `
    `
    These were quickly and easily leveled with a microfiber towel.

`
    `
    `
    `
    More high spots

`
    `
    `
    `
    Again, these were easily leveled with a microfiber towel after several minutes... check out that reflection!`

`
    `
    `
    `
    After the coating was applied, the car was brought outside for further inspection. It looked incredible.

`
    `
    `
    `
    The next day I started by cleaning up the exhaust tips. Notice they are quite dull and have a lot of carbon buildup on the tips.

`
    `
    `
    `
    They look as good as new after polishing

`
    `
    `
    `
    Polished tips on the right, unpolished on the left

`
    `
    `
    `
    All cleaned up

Post Thanks / Like
    After
    `
    Though many deeper defects remain in the paint, the transformation was still incredible. `The overall clarity, depth, and gloss in the paint was dramatically improved throughout the correction process and now the car looks absolutely beautiful!

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`
    `
    `
    And, of course, a couple of beading shots...

`

`
    `
    `
    `
    As always, thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy swirls Batman! That was terrible. Great work on the correction. Looks fantastic now and that gloss coat left a hell of a finish

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding! I know you had your work cut out for you on that rock hard paint!`

`

Love the look of Gloss-Coat, have had it on my own car since July now, still looks like I just applied it and regular ONR W&W washes are very easy.`
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work. `Just used Gloss-Coat for the first time on Friday and love the stuff already.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys... the paint was definitely rock hard, but it turned out nice nonetheless. `

`

I was quite pleased with GC as well... so far the only flaw I can find is the price. `I`m curious to see how it holds up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45

<span style="font-size:12px;">I was quite pleased with GC as well... so far the only flaw I can find is the price. `I`m curious to see how it holds up.

`

Agreed! `Regardless of price point, I wish it came with 20 cc`s instead of 10, ideally at the $60 price point.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Thread Information